Search results

1. L

Pioneer SX-750 restore kicking my tail

Can anyone recommend where to get a new replacement relay for an SX 750?
  2. L

SX 750 Relay Question

What are the chances that the relay is having a mechanical failure in an SX 750? It works for awhile, cuts off and then comes back on. My electronic skill are very minimal and I understand that it's probably just doing it's job but could it just be old and needs replacing? I don't have anyone...
  3. L

Realistic LAB400 (or any Realistic advice) help

My Lab 400 does the same thing occasionally. In my case I just work the speed controls back and forth and this always fixes the issue. It's probably caused by dirt and oxidation in the pots. It's very common for crud to build up because the knobs are rarely, if ever turned. A cleaning with...
  4. L

Name the Advents!

Those are original Advent Loudspeakers in walnut veneer cabinets that are commonly referred to nowadays as original large Advents or OLAs for short.
  5. L

Favorite Bourbon

I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare and Old Grand Dad 114. My dilemma is which one do I have for Thanksgiving? Smooth or sassy?
  6. L

THE BEST CASSETTE DECK EVER

+1 for the Advent 201. They may not have the highest specs some of the decks on this list does but they SOUND good. Too many people hear with their eyes instead of their ears, especially nowadays. These decks are built like a tank. The ONLY thing I've done is to replace the two rubber drive...
  7. L

Need help with a SX-750

Make sure you're putting the right knobs in the right places. The On/Off, Volume and Input selector knobs are bigger than the Bass, Treble and Balance ones. Also make sure you lining the spines on the shafts with the inside of the knobs. And if a knob doesn't fit on one shaft, try it on another...
  8. L

Large Advent Cloth....Pic's of New Cloth and Original Cloth

Based on this thread, I bought two of the 18" x 27" Natural Light Linens from 123 Stich to recover my walnut beveled OLAs. Only one grill was damaged (damn cat!) but I got two so they would match. I received them this week and I happy to report that this cloth is almost a perfect match. So much...
  9. L

Grill Cloth Source for Large Advent Loudspeakers

What's the best way to remove the Advent name badges from the old cloth without damaging them? And what should I use to re-attach them to new cloth? Double faced tape? Glue?
  10. L

Shrinking A Rubber Belt?

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which belt to buy. The only belt kit that comes up when I google my model has a 7.5 inch belt. That appears to be what mine measures and it keeps falling off. I checked my service manual and it only has an old part number that is unobtainium. I thought...
  11. L

Shrinking A Rubber Belt?

One of the belts on my cassette deck has stretched and it comes off sometimes. I've searched and it's not a very common belt to find. There's nothing wrong with it other than it's just a little bigger than it needs to be. I was thinking about possibly boiling it in water for a few minutes to see...
  12. L

The Quest for a "Walkman" begins.

Beware of buying NOS cassette players that are still sealed. The rubber belts inside them often deteriorate with age and they won't work. A friend of mine spent a lot of money for a Sony Walkman that was sold as new in the package only to find when he opened it up that it didn't work. The belt...
  13. L

Nakamichi DR-3 muffled sound

I had a similar issue with my Advent 201. In my case, one of the belts had stretched and fallen off causing a lack of back tension. Try lightly pressing down on the cassette and see if it clears up. If it does, you have an alignment issue as opposed to an electronic issue. I replaced the worn...
  14. L

Help With An Advent 201

UPDATE: I got my replacement belt and it fixed the issue. On the 201, the belt that runs the counter does indeed help align the tape over the head. :music:
  15. L

Help With An Advent 201

I actually thought about trying a rubber band while I had it apart. Unfortunately it's a 6 inch belt and rubber bands are either too short or too long to work. :thumbsdown:
  16. L

Help With An Advent 201

Thanks for you reply. The very first thing I did was thoroughly clean the heads, pinch roller and capstan. No change. I just took the top cover off and the belt that runs the counter has stretched and fallen off. I just ordered a replacement. This belt runs from the counter to left rewind...
  17. L

Help With An Advent 201

I recently picked up an Advent 201 cassette deck and was very impressed with the sound and quality of the recordings it makes. Last night it started having play back issues. The highs are very muddy and there's clearly an alignment issue going on. If you lightly press down on the tape, the highs...
  18. L

My First SX-1050 and shipping mishap

I bought an SX 1050 a few years ago and had similar problems with shipping damages. The seller shipped it thru USPS and it was so heavy that they wouldn't deliver it to my house. I had to go the my local Post Office and pick it up. Imagine my shock and horror to see a woman Postal worker pushing...
  19. L

Cassette deck lube

I used regular old 3 in 1 oil on my Advent 201. It may not be the latest greatest lubricant in the world but it worked wonders on my deck. YMMV.
  20. L

Removing static from records

A used dryer sheet works great to remove static and light dust particles. I used one last night. :thumbsup:
  21. L

Goo gone on dust cover?

Goo Gone Original is non toxic and will not damage the plastic. It smells like orange oil and is the perfect thing to use to remove a sticker from plastic. I used it for years to remove stickers from CD cases and it never damaged them at all. As stated previously, a lot of people confuse it with...
  22. L

Advent 201

I just picked up an Advent 201 cassette deck and it has a couple of issues. First, it's eating tapes. I cleaned the capstan and pinch roller with 91% isopropyl alcohol and it took three Q tips to get the pinch roller clean. It plays the tape fine until it gets half to three quarters of the way...
  23. L

Life with the SX-750

When I did mine, I just removed the top layer. Then I applied walnut veneer that had 3M backing. Once it was all applied, I took an electric iron set on low and went over it to melt the glue. I used a thin hand towel over the veneer to protect it. It's been over three years and it still...
  24. L

Need Someone In Atlanta To Replace Belts on Pioneer Deck

Still looking for help. Anyone?
Back
Top Bottom