Search results

1. neevo

Help - Mac G4 (old) Video Card

I’ve pulled my old music studio out of looooong term storage as I’m keen to play around with it with my 2 girls (10 and 8). It’s basically been all packed up under the stairs in my house for 20 years. It was pretty good stuff when I bought it (a few synths and a digidesign 001 interface, 16...
  2. neevo

Thorens TD150 MKI 45 RPM Arm

I love my TD150, it’s sublime in every way and I really enjoy using it… when listening to albums. Buuuuuut, I’ve never really figured out how to get the 45 arm working properly and I’ve come here for some help as my vinyl setup is now the best it’s ever been and I desperately wanted to play a...
  3. neevo

McIntosh C20 Brass Bar Dimensions

Hello fellow McIntosh owners! We need your help. Someone has reach out to me to see if I can help with the brass bar on the very early C20 models. Unfortunately mine does not use this faceplate, so I don't have access to any of the dimensions, nor how it attaches to the preamp. I think it will...
  4. neevo

McIntosh C20 Tube Positions and Impact

I’m in the process of buying Telefunkens for a C20 which came with no tubes. I currently have a full complement of tubes (organ tubes from US) already that was very kindly donated to my rebuild but I want to have a set of Telefunkens to 1) compare to the ones I already have 2) have the C20 back...
  5. neevo

Source for cloth covered transformer wires

I’m restoring a McIntosh Preamplifier (over in the McIntosh section) and I’m getting to the last few bits before I hook up the transformer and start brining it up slowly on the variac. The transformer wires have suffered from the years (over 60 now) and I’d ideally like to have them replaced by...
  6. neevo

Thorens TD150 Suspension Rubber Dimensions

I made some Delrin upper and lower washers for my TD-150 as I was having issues with the suspension bounce. It went from 2-3 seconds to 15-18 seconds and audibly improved the sound. My thread here has a video that is on YouTube and someone has asked me about the modification and asked if I...
  7. neevo

Ariston RD11S 50hz Pulley

A member on here reached out to me with a request for help on his Ariston turntable. He must have been reading Garry’s thread where we made a pulley that was missing and built a custom bearing. This job looks much simpler (hopefully) and I’m here to document and ask some questions. The job...
  8. neevo

Help me decide - DSOTM A2/B3 or A3/B3

Edit: Title should say A3/B2 or A3/B3 Given condition of both is the same (NM), which one would you choose? Background: I have a very worn copy of a UK Harvest A5/B5. It was my Dads and so has an enormous amount of sentimental value, but I also think the mastering on the UK Harvest copies are...
  9. neevo

SME 3009 S2 Improved Muted

I have an SME3009 Improved detachable headshell that I am trying to understand if the sound is to be expected or if I have an issue I need to address. It’s fitted to a Thorens TD-150 and it sounds like the top end is muted. It’s not an obvious “treble is missing” problem, but I’m missing some...
  10. neevo

Here we go again, what an idiot! Thorens TD150

I said to myself at the beginning of this year I wouldn’t start any other projects until I finished the other ones!!! My McIntosh C20 still needs to be completed (which is still on the radar) plus I have other various home workshop and motorbike things in the works too. However I’ve always had...
  11. neevo

Steel Speaker Stands - Nothing Exciting

After finishing my custom AR project (JBL Decade Tributes) they’ve been sitting on some polystyrene ever since. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/will-these-do-ar-70s.721802/page-12 The speakers have stayed in our TV room for ages now, so it’s fair to say they’ve passed the wife...
  12. neevo

KA-7100 Speaker Selector Switch

I refurbished a 7100 and later sold it to a mate when I upgraded to an 8100. The thing was beautiful outside and I replaced all the caps and other key parts too. I thought it would be good for another 30 years... however. The speaker selector switch has broken. It appears the switch turns but...
  13. neevo

Kenwood KA-3500 Distortion

I have a love affair with Kenwood amps. I have an 8500 on my main system and a 3500 for the TV. 3500 has just developed a distortion issue and I stopped using it as I don’t want to fry my home-made JBL Decade tribute speakers: I haven’t done anything with the amp since I got it other than...
  14. neevo

Anyone know about VFD's

Slightly audio related as I have purchased a milling machine to help me make some end panels for the McIntosh C20 restoration thread :) The machine came with a 3 phase motor which I have since purchased a suitably related but cheap/entry level VFD for it. It all works fine but I have a few...
  15. neevo

Lexan or Plexiglass?

I’m building another turntable lid and not sure on what the best material is (http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/diy-turntable-lid-and-another-pl-upgrade.806244/). Last time I bought a sheet of 3mm something from Bunnings but whilst it worked perfectly it has some flex to it that my...
  16. neevo

Pioneer PL-518 Motor Rebuild

I've had a thread up asking how much noise floor should you expect from a turntable. The comments have ranged from "none" to "there will always be some noise floor with vinyl". Both of these are true I think based on the frame of reference, however a recent development has made me realise the...
  17. neevo

Is it an upgrade or just a load of cost/work for no benefit?

I've been satisfied with my setup for a while now, it sounds incredible and looks brilliant too. However! I am deep in to a tube preamp rebuild at the moment (documented on this site) and it should be a significant upgrade to my front end, making me think about what else is in the chain and...
  18. neevo

Is there always a base level of noise from records?

I have a modest setup and want to make sure it’s optimised at much as possible. It sounds brilliant and I have a question about noise I hear in dead wax. It’s a whooshing sound, constant as the stylus rides the groove. Noticeable when playing at loud volume but at modest levels not. Wondering...
  19. neevo

2M Bronze vs DL-110

I have both these cartridges in my arsenal, separately mounted on Jelco HS-25’s, played on a fully restored Pioneer PL-518 and both setup properly. I’m wondering if the setup is not ideal for the DL-110 as it sounds lifeless which is not what I’m lead to believe the cartridge should offer. The...
  20. neevo

McIntosh C20 - can and should I bring it back from the dead?

I never thought I’d own a McIntosh, so I’m very excited to be posting here! I was overseas on holiday when I saw a post online for some old stereo equipment being sold. One item that caught my attention in the list was a McIntosh. Looking at the photos I didn’t see anything I recognised but 1...
  21. neevo

Oh no... its happening again!

I have a problem, I'm constantly trawling eBay, Gumtree and Facebook for audio stuff. I have enough at the moment and have 2 great systems (especially after I completed my custom AR L36 Decade project; http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/will-these-do-ar-70s.721802/), but I cannot...
  22. neevo

Can someone educate me on HVLP spray guns?

I have a semi integrated dishwasher and I cannot for the life of me get anyone to make a panel for it as the job is just too small and they want at least $500 to do the work. I’m pretty handy. So I’m making the panels myself but it just dawned on me, why not have a go at painting them myself...
  23. neevo

Pioneer PL-518X Motor Rumble?

On lead in grooves I get a distinct sound from my TT and wondering what it could be and if I could fix it. It sounds like a whooshing, rumble sound that is then masked by the sound of the music. The motor had a noticeable scrape sound coming from it at one point so I took it apart, cleaned it...
  24. neevo

I’m giving it a crack... fully DIY built phono preamp

I’m a competent desolderer and solderer. I’ve spent a lot of time and effort rebuilding a few parts including amps and a couple of preamps based off the Little Bear preamp. My Little Bear looks beautiful and I’ve had such fun making it, but I long for something quieter and I want the...
  25. neevo

Eagles - Desperado (sung from inside a duvet cover)

I love the Eagles, and this track especially. I have 2 copies of it on vinyl; Desperado and also the Greatest Hits album. The Desperado version sounds awful and I’d hoped my new (second hand) copy of the Greatest Hits would give me a better version. Both sound terrible and I’m thinking it may...
Back
Top Bottom