Search results

1. E

What do you want to see from McIntosh?

I'd like to thank McIntosh for making the MC75 a regular production item. With its larger power supply, it offers performance a step higher than my MC275 (version V), and I am saving up the funds to acquire these monoblocks. I also thank McIntosh for continuing to support SACD. I listen...
  2. E

C2300 and EAT tubes

I'm not really interested in spending big $$$ on 40+ year old tubes which come with no warranty and a little documentation on the chain of custody (so that I don't know if they are new old stock or somewhat used old stock). The EAT tubes (at least the KT88s have been very favorably reviewed and...
  3. E

C2300 and EAT tubes

Can the dampers be removed from the tube? After looking at the EAT website, I thought the dampers were permanently attached tot he tube.
  4. E

C2300 and EAT tubes

Can the EAT ECC803 tubes be used in the C2300 preamplifier? My concern is that with the cool damper that is fixed on the tube, there may not be room in the C2300 for the tubes.
  5. E

A McIntosh Tuner, Is There One In Your System?

I own an MR78 and an MR7082. Fortunately, Portland (Oregon) still has decent jazz and classical programming on FM, as well as NPR news. I have the MR78 set up in my home office, where it is used in combination with active Dynaudio MC15 speakers for a simple but very enjoyable home office...
  6. E

Next Weeks new McIntosh model is???

A one box unit for the home office containing an integrated amplifier, tuner, and usb dac.
  7. E

Mc-2205 Post restoration thoughts

Do you want a preamp that matches the 2205 in vintage and cosmetics, or are you more concerned with a preamp that offers modern conveniences such as remote control? Personally, I find vintage power amps more attractive than vintage preamps, as I think preamps have improved over time to a...
  8. E

variable loudness control vs 5 band equalizer

I owned a C30 for many years (I now have a C2200), and used the 5 band equalizer to compensate for poorly balanced recordings or deal with digital nasties (as an earlier post noted, the 10khz control can help make a bad digital recording somewhat listenable). I used the variable loudness when...
  9. E

Which MC for DQ10's?

Some information on your budget and room size/preferred volume level would be useful. Also, are you running the DQ10s by themselves or with the subwoofer? I no longer own the DQ10s, but did own a pair for about ten years. My feeling was that they sound great with tubes, but require a...
  10. E

Request for a New McIntosh Tube Tuner! poll

I listen to enough FM to make investment in a good tuner worthwhile. While I am very pleased with my DeWick updated MR78, I would be very interested in a serious tube tuner. Please bring back selectivity choices, and offer a reasonably broad range of adjacent channel selectivity. I would also...
  11. E

MX118 Question

Can anyone tell me if the tuner in the MX118 is an analog tuner with digital readout or a digital tuner?
  12. E

Why did McIntosh get back into Tubes???

Lets remember that McIntosh is a business that survives only by making a profit. No profit, no McIntosh. Based on some of the sources cited above, I suspect McIntosh was surprised at the potential market for new tube products. Given the availability of reliable new tubes and the fact that...
  13. E

what's the best mcreceiver?

If you are comparing the 4100 receiver to integrated amplifiers, I believe the correct comparison is the MA6200. So if you don't use FM, the MA6200 would give you the same amplifier as the 4100. While I like the McIntosh receivers, I would recommend a used MA6450, used MA 6500, or new...
  14. E

MX117 Preamp/Tuner

Don't forget that the MX117 includes the equivolent of the MR75 tuner --- an outstanding tuner. Very good FM reception and sound quality (although I wish it had multiple selectivity settings). The MX117/MR75 also has a very good AM section.
  15. E

Poll: What Was Your First McIntosh?

In 1972 (when I was 15), my father purchased a C26 preamplifier and Mc2100 power amplifier. My Advent speakers sounded much better with these McIntosh components than with my AR integrated amplifier. Five years later I managed to save up enough money (working summers in Alaska while in...
  16. E

MR85 vs MR77 vs MR78, which one???

I've used the ST-2, and it works reasonably well for an indoor antenna. However, getting an outdoor (or at last attic mounted) antenna would make a big difference --- probably much greater than the differences among the tuners you are considering. I started out with an MR78 in stock form...
  17. E

MR85 vs MR77 vs MR78, which one???

Some information on your listening situation would be useful --- are you in an urban location, out in the woods, etc.. I've directly compared an MR78 to the MR85, and for non-problem reception situations they are very close in sound. The MR78 has a bit more open and airy high end than the MR85...
  18. E

MC275 V vs MC275 II (Gordon Gow Edition)

I believe there have been some changes in the tubes used in the MC275 over time. The original 1961-73 version used two 12BH7 tubes. In the Gordon Gow edition these were replaced with 12AZ7 tubes (to get more gain to support the then new balanced input option, I believe). The current version V...
  19. E

Output transistors replaced..

The MA6800/6850 was the first McIntosh integrated with autoformers. It was sold new in the mid-1990s, and is a bit lower in power than the MA6900 (rated 150 w/channel versus 200 w/channel for the MA6900). They don't seem to show up very often on the used market.
  20. E

Need Pre amp recomendation

I'd get a C220 or C2200 to go with the 402. Both are available used (as well as new). You get the magic that tubes can bring to voices with a power amp that can drive about anything.
  21. E

MC2002 Power Amp

What speakers will you be using? What are the load characteristics of your speakers? Some speakers really like the autoformer amplifiers, while others seem to work best with direct coupled amplifiers. I've owned a number of the autoformer McIntosh amplifiers, and have used a direct coupled...
  22. E

Vintage SS Mcsetup..anyone have this one?

The 2100/2105 would be the power amp to match the ML10. The ML10 use a lot of power when combined with the equalizer (which you really need to get the ML1 or ML10 to sound its best). For a preamp you could go with either the C26 or C28 --- both were sold at the same time as the 2100/2105. For...
  23. E

Just got a new MC402; beautiful!!

I've heard the Mc402 with both the C2200 (which I own) and the C45. While both preamps sounded very good with the C45, there are some differences. I view it as a choice of whether you put a higher priority on tonality or dynamics. If you put a higher priority on tonality and full-bodied "you...
  24. E

Where the poor folks at?

In terms of "bang for the buck", I don't think you can do better than the McIntosh 4100 receiver. It is basically a MA6200 integrated amp and MR75 tuner in one chassis. The downside is no autoformers and no remote control, but the unit sounds great in moderate sized rooms with reasonable...
  25. E

Forbes on Vinyl. This is the golden age for vinyl.

When my father retired at age 65, he had a collection of about 14,000 LPs. He figured that he could listen to an average of about 5 LPs a day, or about 2,000 a year. He said upon retirement that he hoped to live long enough to hear each of his LPs twice more --- or 14 years. I've always...
Back
Top Bottom