Search results

1. Old Guy8

Pioneer 518/540 tone arm lift

Silicone oil is often recommended. In its thicker viscosities, say 100k cst to 500k cst it looks like a clear grease. Higher number is thicker. And thicker may drop slower. Thinner viscosities are used in radio controlled toy cars. For thier shock absorbers. My local Hobby Town Store ordered...
  2. Old Guy8

3/23/24 - 1PM Northern Chicago/Southern WI Get-Together?

Will bring oatmeal cookies.
  3. Old Guy8

Amplifier recommendation

Looking at the 901 five manual. It says not to power a set of conventional speakers along with the 901's. Only, with a second stereo amp for the conventional speakers. I'm not familiar with your current Amp. If your second set of speakers are also 8 ohm rated. I would check if your Amp is rated...
  4. Old Guy8

3/23/24 - 1PM Northern Chicago/Southern WI Get-Together?

Thanks for hosting. Will see you then. May bring Cronus Magnum lll amp. If I feel strong enough to lift it that day. Think I still have address.
  5. Old Guy8

Space Conundrum

Not sure on exacting what you want thoughts on. I'll comment with a couple ideas. I have used ADS L880 10" three-way in a 12"x11" bedroom. 7" high stands. Currently I have Ohm C2 10" three-ways. Also have Karat 200 sitting on top of Ohms or ADS. I alternate between speakers. Ohms might be too...
  6. Old Guy8

Dilemma: stay vintage or go modern?

Do you trust that it actually went to the recycle? I've never heard of any repair service having the balls to do that. They all save the removed bad parts and save for customer to see. Unbelievable!
  7. Old Guy8

Dilemma: stay vintage or go modern?

Tom, My experience with Rogue gear has been flawless. Three Amps from 2014 and newer. Most bought, lightly used. To the OP. There is high quality gear being made. May not be point to point wired like 70's gear. Rogue and Magnepan are domestic to USA. I don't see a lot of worry with...
  8. Old Guy8

Today's JAZZ playlist

Thanks King. Will keep an eye out for these.
  9. Old Guy8

Today's JAZZ playlist

That's Where it's At Stanley Turrentine
  10. Old Guy8

Today's JAZZ playlist

I was thinking guitar player. I may have him on some CDs. I got about 50-60 jazz guitar CDs at a church sale a ways back. Someone was into Guitar trios. Have a good weekend Steve.
  11. Old Guy8

Today's JAZZ playlist

Guess it depends on if you mostly get into swing? Then maybe Basie. My limited knowledge of Thier songbooks. For me Ellington had a wider pallet.
  12. Old Guy8

Today's JAZZ playlist

It's OK. I wouldn't search for it. I got, i don't remember where. It's pop selections mostly. Recorded 1969. I don't know who Gabor Szabo is? A bought for Lena. Your survived 18" snow.
  13. Old Guy8

Today's JAZZ playlist

Lena & Gabor Lena Horne & Gabor Szabo
  14. Old Guy8

Any cat lovers here?

Sorry for your loss of Casper. We lost our Cliff last September to heart an kidney issues. Seems like yesterday. OG
  15. Old Guy8

Today's JAZZ playlist

Hello Steve. Was nice sunny day. I and The Boss went on a road trip for lunch. In Eastern Cheesehead Country. And bought some cheese, too. I see King posted they had 18" snow and lost power for a day. Whoa!
  16. Old Guy8

Today's JAZZ playlist

George Shearing Lullaby of Birdland
  17. Old Guy8

New Member, New (first!) Turntable (AR)

A torpedo level to level the platter. And a carbon fiber record brush to remove dust and hairs from record before play. Eventually down the road. You might consider some type of wet cleaning method for your records. Modest or more envolved. If you find you really like vinyl medium.
  18. Old Guy8

I have plenty of time to respond. If the cue drops slowly you shouldn't have to add any silicone oil. It comes in various viscosities. Also used in radio controlled toy car shock absorbers. The cue has a tiny set screw holding it in position. It's metric as is the tonearm height adjust set...
  19. Old Guy8

Welcome Mark. Like UncleAng, I also have a Linn Basik LVX arm. Mine is on an old Linn LP12. I would recommend starting a thread in the Turntable section, about your AR and note Basik LVX arm too. Best place to get responses on your TT. I'll offer a little info on the arm here. To get you...
  20. Old Guy8

What does everyone own for tube gear!

Nice setup. Bet it sounds great. But, like Bill says. Not much room above. You didn't ask. I would adjust shelves for more air above the 150's. Rogue recommends 7" above Thier Quad KT120 amps.
  21. Old Guy8

Today's JAZZ playlist

Charlie Haden Nocturne
  22. Old Guy8

Who makes the best sump pumps?

Especially in situations were the plumbing companies are swamped. I hold on to any old pump I have for backups, if still works.
  23. Old Guy8

When you say the Zoeller is "fixed in the pit, with PVC." I think I get what you mean. I used a couple of rubber sleave connectors (or unions) with pipe clamps. So I can loosen these and remove sump pump and check valve for service or replacement. Without having to rebuild all the PVC piping...
  24. Old Guy8

Got it.
  25. Old Guy8

Both my Wayne and Zoeller pump manuals specify having that hole. And it spits while running. And of course, drains water up to the check valve, after pump stops. I don't know why a plumber would choose not to put in a vent hole. Did he just forget? One of my sump check valves came with a built...
Back
Top Bottom