Search results

1. mxthunder

Bic RTR EV15

Picked up a pair of these about 6 months ago - just thought I would add my input as well. I paid about $200 each for them, and for that price I am certainly not disappointed. I bought them mostly as speakers I could "beat on" so I dont blow up my quality older vintage stuff... and the power...
  2. mxthunder

advise on replacement 3.5" driver

Thanks for the info. Here are the spec sheets. The other mid is not dead. I could de solder it and measure but not sure if that is accurate way to determine the impedence or not. When I measure a known 8ohm unit, it shows up as 4.6ohm on my meter.
  3. mxthunder

advise on replacement 3.5" driver

I am looking to replace the midrange drivers on my RTR towers. Have a few questions/need recommendations. 1. Is there a reason the back of the driver is sealed? Is this to prevent pressure from interfering with it since the 8" and 10" woofers operate in a sealed enclosure? 2. I am thinking this...
  4. mxthunder

question on rebuilding crossovers for RTR tower speakers

Not sure why people think there are no crossovers in front of the woofers, from all pictures shown, you can see the white resistors clearly in line before the woofers (the blue and black wires) I have not taken the speakers back apart for further inspection. Once I get the parts (slow shipping...
  5. mxthunder

Just ordered a couple different sets of resistors to attempt and repair whatever happend to mine since the woofers are now no longer working. Any reason I should try to heat-sink these or stick them to the backing panel like they did from the factory? What one of the 2 different part #'s should...
  6. mxthunder

Well I replaced the cap in the one speaker and it certainly fixed the issue. Had it cranked up for a while, and the popping in the other speaker wasnt as bad as I remember. Unfortunately, something else blew in the speaker I rebuilt, because now the woofers dont work, but the mids and highs do...
  7. mxthunder

Thanks for the info! I will take a careful look when I take them apart to replace the caps.
  8. mxthunder

Hard to tell from the pics, I cant seem to figure out where the noise is coming from, but it exhibits a loud "popping" sound during sharp bass hits. Ran it on both channels and different receivers so I know its not an amp issue.
  9. mxthunder

Thank you for the info guys. I had never really considered replacing the tweeters with anything before because I haven no clue what would sound better or worse. Ill solder in the new caps when they come and hopefully they will at least be up and running again. I have an issue with one of the...
  10. mxthunder

Thanks for the info. Do you know what type of cap that is? it says 6uF 50V, i assume thats 50V AC? The dial for the tweeter level seemed OK, no noise when rotating back and forth when speakers are in operation. Whatever the white things are, they are between the post and the blue wires that go...
  11. mxthunder

Recently, the two tweeters and the mid all failed simultaneously on one of my RTR 240D's. I am assuming it is a component in the crossover that has failed, not the speakers themselves. Testing each component with multi meter yielded inconclusive results. Looks like some type of capacitor in line...
  12. mxthunder

SX-780 - Counterfeit Darlingtons?

My dad picked up another 780 a couple weeks ago. Cleaned it up last night, de oxd all the switches and pots. Hooked it up this morning, played fine for about 2 minutes, then cut out. Now the relay does not click when you switch it on. Getting 40V to the post before the darlingtons, but only 19V...
  13. mxthunder

Do Crossovers get hot?

Giving this thread a bump. Took a video of my IR thermometer measuring my RTR 240D's after some long heavy usage. I was a bit concerned when I started to smell something hot. I bypassed the circuit breakers in them, but I think I did a crappy solder job that is causing some resistance. They are...
  14. mxthunder

RTR 240D's

Thanks for the info. its hard to find on these units.
  15. mxthunder

RTR 240D's

Sure thing, let me know if you want more detailed ones.
  16. mxthunder

RTR 240D's

Thanks for the pics. They are power hungry thats for sure. My dads 9090db is perfect for them, but my sx 980 could use a little more juice!
  17. mxthunder

RTR 240D's

Im pretty sure the binding posts are original, as they look exactly the same as on my 300D's. After doing more research last night, im pretty sure they are original drivers, just hard to tell if someone has re foamed them or anything like that.
  18. mxthunder

RTR 240D's

Purchased a set of these the other day, wondered if anyone has any information on them. They sound pretty amazing. Funny how close they sound to the 300D's. Anyone know how many watts they are rated at? I assume they are 4ohm like most other RTR's From the pictures, do the woofers look re...
  19. mxthunder

Using a Subwoofer with a Vintage Receiver

I got all the answers I wanted, thanks for the help.
  20. mxthunder

Just seems like it would have the potential to degrade sound quality more or something, although those do not track with volume either from what I understand. Might have to use the speaker out method after all.
  21. mxthunder

Ah, thank you for the info. Was really trying to avoid using my pre-amp in/out
  22. mxthunder

I have a USB DAC going from my HTPC into my SX 980's "AUX" play input. Could I just take the RCA connections from the "rec" side of the AUX port, and hook them into a powered sub?
  23. mxthunder

debating on new speakers to pair with SX-980

Looking less than $500 for now. I understand good vs more concept, and thats why I love the Pioneers, they are awesome for quality but just not good "party" speakers. Without a subwoofer to help out, and being that they are so inefficient, sometimes they are just a bit lack luster when it comes...
  24. mxthunder

debating on new speakers to pair with SX-980

I have a set of Pioneer SP-FS52's right now in my living room. I love them to death, but they are very inefficient and dont go quite as loud as I want. Looking for more bass and volume. I love the way my fisher STV 724's shake the house. I was thinking the RTR EV-15's might do the trick, giving...
  25. mxthunder

SX-780 - Counterfeit Darlingtons?

Small update.... got a refund for the first darlington that was bad. took a chance on a set of 2 more off ebay. ohmed them out before installation, they checked out. threw em in, and whala. shes back in business. if they last 2 years, ill be happy. i cannot justify spending $300 to get it...
Back
Top Bottom