Search results

1. Joe Nardy

.............another post in praise of geph0007

I just got done setting up a beautiful Kenwood KD-850 TT purchased from @geph0007. I had reservations about safely shipping such a nice table since he did not have the original shipping materials. He assured me he was very experienced in packing and there wouldn't be any issues. He also...
  2. Joe Nardy

Yamaha CR-820 Noise Troubleshooting Help Please

I'm looking for help troubleshooting a problem with a Yamaha CR-820. The symptom is intermittent static noise that sounds to me like a noisy transistor. Here are the specifics: - Noise is in both channels - Amplitude is not affected by volume control - Noise is present on all inputs - Noise is...
  3. Joe Nardy

Smith and Wesson Grand Opening and Fall Festival

Smith and Wesson has relocated their headquarters from Massachusetts to Maryville TN. They are having a Grand Opening and Fall Festival on October 7th. Tickets just went on sale. Here's a link to ticket site. My wife and I just got tickets and are looking forward to the event. I have no...
  4. Joe Nardy

Audio Muting and Power Consuption Question

I recently acquired a Yamaha CR-820 receiver that, according to the previous owner, would 'cut out' intermittently. I took the usual pre-power up steps (checked for shorted OPTs, checked fuses, did visual inspection for burnt components, cleaned all controls and trimmers with DeoxIT) before...
  5. Joe Nardy

Hifi Engine/Vinyl Engine Download Issue

I've been trying to download some manuals from Hifi Engine and Vinyl Engine for the past couple days. I've never had any problems before. Now every time I attempt to download anything I get a notification saying 'Sorry but the download server is closed for maintenance'. Is anyone else seeing...
  6. Joe Nardy

My First Concert in a Long time

Although I am a fan of live music, I've never been to a lot of concerts. Most of the concerts I've attended have been at large arenas or large outdoor venues., neither of which I really enjoy. A lot of these shows were also overly theatrical for my tastes. I like to see a band play music and...
  7. Joe Nardy

Realistic Nova 7 Questions

I'm working on a set of RS Nova 7 (not B) speakers. I have very little invested in these and the cabinets are rough but I'd like to get them back to original working condition and see how they sound If I can do so without dropping too much money into them and before putting a lot of work into...
  8. Joe Nardy

SPEC-1 Owners - A little help please

I have a SPEC-1/SPEC-4 system and recently noticed a popping noise through both channels when the function selector switch is changed to either phone inputs. The popping noise is dependent on volume setting. My SPEC-1 was refurbed a few years back by the previous owner so I don't know whether...
  9. Joe Nardy

Pioneer SPEC-1/SPEC-4 Function Switch Noise

I have a very nice SPEC-1/SPEC-4 system that was refurbed (caps, transistors, relays, trimmers) in 2016. It works great with one small issue. The function switch has some noise (static/pop) when switched to phono 1 or phono 2. I cleaned the selector switch a couple days ago but didn't hear any...
  10. Joe Nardy

Password Managers?

Like many people, the list of websites I frequent is constantly growing which means my list of login information is also constantly growing. Besides my own interests, I have power of attorney and take care of all my parents' accounts and also am executor/trustee for a fairly large and...
  11. Joe Nardy

Tube Tester Near Knoxville TN?

I have a handful of tubes I'd like to have tested but don't know anyone with a tester. I looked through the thread listing folks with tube testers but didn't find anything close. I'm hoping this thread might catch someone's eye nearby. Please let me know if you can help. Joe
  12. Joe Nardy

Tube Bias Explanation Please?

I have read through many threads here and elsewhere about tube bias but still don't have a full understanding of the concept and application. I have an Onix (Melody) SP3 Integrated Amp purchased from a fellow AKer a few years ago. Included with the sale was a quad of Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes. The...
  13. Joe Nardy

Motorcycle Racing 2023 - No Spoilers please!

I'm a huge fan of international motorcycle racing, both MotoGP and World Superbike. It's the only sport I follow regularly, and I subscribe to both series' streaming so I can watch all the races, qualifying, etc. The off season is always hard to take, and I look forward to the next season. This...
  14. Joe Nardy

Money Order Scams?

I'm selling a piece of gear on local CL. An out-of-state buyer wants to purchase the gear. He wants to pay with a Money Order. There's no expectation that the gear will ship before the Money Order is received. Nothing else 'smells' fishy about the deal. I've never accepted a Money Order for...
  15. Joe Nardy

Android 13 Experiences?

My Google Pixel 6A has been prompting me to upgrade to Android 13 for weeks. I've been putting it off as I like to wait and see what issues might arise with the new version. Has anyone ungraded to Android 13 and had problems? Thanks, Joe
  16. Joe Nardy

Headshells with different length contacts....Pioneer?

I spent some time yesterday swapping and listening to different headshell/cartridge combinations on my newly refurbed Technics SL-1310 MK2. After all the swapping I was listening to the system and lost the left channel. I removed the headshell, checked for broken or disconnected wires, found...
  17. Joe Nardy

Technics SL-1310 MK2 Lube Question

I've been working on a Technics SL-1310 MK2 that had the common broken queuing arm problem. I was able to replace the cueing arm with the Shapeways part and also re-wired the tonearm with KAB SuperFlex Litz wire. I got it back together and it works fine......most of the time. The problem I have...
  18. Joe Nardy

Technics SL-1310 MK2 Auto Stop Problem

I'm working on a Technics SL-1310 MK2 that I recently purchased knowing it had cueing and auto start/stop issues. After researching this problem, I figured it was probably the common broken cueing arm that was causing the issue. I disassembled, found the broken cueing arm, ordered and installed...
  19. Joe Nardy

Technics SL-1xx0 Tonearm Pivot Bearing Transplant

I'm working on a Technics SL-1310 MK2 with the infamous broken cueing arm. I found a lot of good info here on how to replace with the Shapeways 3-D printed part. During disassembly, there were a couple very tight screws and I exerted a lot of pressure on the pivot trying to get the screws loose...
  20. Joe Nardy

Technics SL-1310 MK2 Tonearm Bearing Question

*****EDIT 07/31/22 - See Post Below***** I acquired a Technics SL-1310 MK2 TT with the common cueing/auto issues. I did a lot of research and started disassembling to see which cueing arm shaft I have so I can order the correct part from Shapeways. There are some excellent tutorials on AK which...
  21. Joe Nardy

New Table.....Sort of

I inherited a MacBook Pro 2017 Retina laptop from the estate of a deceased Uncle. I'm not an Apple guy but my wife has (and likes) an iPhone and iPad so she started using it and liked it. It works great but had some cosmetic issues. The cover had some discoloration: I suggested hiding the...
  22. Joe Nardy

Treated myself to a totally unnecessary ride....

Back story - I'm 63 years old and was lucky enough to pull off retirement about three years ago with the help of a voluntary layoff. I've always liked performance cars but never really owned one. One reason is that my former job included a company car. They were very ordinary vehicles but were...
  23. Joe Nardy

AK Database Access?

I'm not sure whether this is the appropriate place for this thread and I apologize if I put it in the wrong place. I'm a subscriber and just found out about the AK Database and attempted to login. My audiokarma.org credentials don't allow me to login to the database. I tried 'forgot password'...
  24. Joe Nardy

Panasonic SA-6400X Schematic & Service Manual Needed

I'm working on a Panasonic SA-6400X that was from a deceased uncle's estate. I don't know anything about its history. It's very dirty externally but surprisingly clean inside. It also appears to be service-friendly. It has several issues (doesn't come out of protection, all function and filter...
  25. Joe Nardy

Lawn Sprinkler System Advice?

Here's my situation: My wife and I moved into a new-to-us house in July 2020. The house is around 20 years old and has most of a sprinkler system. I say most because there are sprinkler heads and valves but no control box. There is a wire bundle with eight individual wires going into the...
Back
Top Bottom