Search results

1. B

Polydome Material Replacement?

@plinakos - I sold these speakers about a year and a half ago and replaced them with IRS Omegas. As for the sound - in my opinion they were lacking significant midrange after the dome replacement. However, when coupled with Dirac Live they sounded really good. Bass remained bloated but slightly...
  2. B

Infinity IRS Omega

Tweeter/Midrange board. Looks like the board is from 1999, so I guess this is a later pair of speakers?
  3. B

Infinity IRS Omega

One additional note: after looking at schematics available online for the crossover, I think there's a third board hidden somewhere for the tweeter and midrange. The one air-core inductor that's in the photos is for the midbass coupler, and there should be two more on the board along with a slew...
  4. B

Infinity IRS Omega

Hey all, As some of you may know, I recently purchased a pair of Infinity IRS Omegas. There's not too many around and as such there's not lots of info on them on the internet. Curiosity got the better of me today, and I decided to take a peek inside one and figured you'd all like to see as...
  5. B

Kappa 8 Vs Irs Omega?

I probably don't have the best room, treatment etc to test the rear tweeters for you. They are producing noise if that's your question, haha. It's not as loud as the EMIT on the front, which makes sense because the crossover is designed to lower the level running to it. For an amp I'm using a...
  6. B

Kappa 8 Vs Irs Omega?

As you might imagine, they are a giant leap over the Kappa 7.1s I was using before! Measurements with my UMIK-1 confirm the very neutral response, even in my small room. The bass goes deep, but it doesn't reach that chest shaking level the 7.1s did, probably because it's not ported. The bass is...
  7. B

Kappa 8 Vs Irs Omega?

I bought some Omegas!
  8. B

Kappa 8 Vs Irs Omega?

Reviving this thread.... The pdf on the infinity classics website with a review on the IRS Omegas is gone as far as I can tell. Does anyone have a copy? There's a pair listed for sale on a Dutch website that I'm debating going through the process of taking a ferry and picking them up, haha...
  9. B

Polydome Material Replacement?

I'll put impressions in a separate post once I've broken them in and see how they sound. Also I tried the trick of applying heat to the old polydomes to see if they clear up. They do! And get a temporary, sticky layer to them. Probably not good for them, but they're in the trash anyways. I do...
  10. B

Another new Kappa Polydome replacement product?

I purchased these back in August after one of my polydomes developed a crack and started distorting. I think they sound good...as part of my 7.1s the mids sound a bit recessed, but I don't know how that compares to new polydomes.
  11. B

RSIIb vs Genesis 3

My room is a similar size to the one that the reviewer used, so bass may be a bit bloated. Then again, one could say the bass is bloated with the 7.1s as well but I enjoy a little extra bass. I am moving in about half a year though, so if I need a bigger room I'll just add that as a...
  12. B

RSIIb vs Genesis 3

I've been super busy this week so I haven't gotten a quote, however the owner of the RS IIb's lowered the asking price to $1100...they're starting to look tempting!
  13. B

RSIIb vs Genesis 3

Hello all, Since acquiring a pair of Kappa 7.1s back in June I've been bitten by the Arnie Nudell bug, and have two opportunities to purchase either a pair of Infinity RS IIb or Genesis 3 speakers, with them both being around the $1400 mark, OBO. The RS IIbs include the equalizer, but one of...
  14. B

Possible Kappa Polydome replacements

I've installed the Simply Speakers into my 7.1s as one of the original polydomes developed a crack causing noticeable distortion. Definitely an improvement from the worn out polydomes from before, and I think they blend in nicely with the system. The speakers are high quality, with the surround...
  15. B

Technics SL-P1200 / 1300 Door Sensor Fix

Hey all, I know that a lot of people love these big tanks as much as I do, but they have a few faults. One of them being the door sensor breaking. I recently went through the process of fixing one of them, as a test to see if it would work. Hopefully y'all can learn and repair these tanks so...
  16. B

Polydome replacement

Any update? Any ability to make more? I'd be interested.
  17. B

Technics sl-p370 single disc cd player

This is an old post, but reviving as I have the same CD player with the same issue - This player uses a linear motor unit. It reads the TOC very quickly but, on certain disks, after you hit play you can hear the sled sliding back and forth, going from one end of the disk to the other trying to...
  18. B

JVC JR-S 501 sound problem.

I'm not 100% sure. I just kind of let him work his magic :P But from looking at the pictures, it looks like it goes from the one trace to the uppermost pin of the top capacitor there, C550
  19. B

There are two copper traces that go around the capacitors. I forget exactly why, but he decided to put the one jumper on the other side. I think it was since the surface was so corroded.
  20. B

We added jumpers to both traces that go around the capacitors as they were both severely corroded, one to the point of loss of continuity (the source of the problem). Both capacitors tested out fine and there were no signs of leaking, but they were both replaced anyways. Our only guess as to why...
  21. B

Sweet! I actually just dropped my receiver off at a local shop to have them look at it - I have a feeling this is the actual problem in my case as well. Gonna have to stop by and see if this is the problem on my receiver as well!
  22. B

Yep, and it appears the main amp is working correctly. Also noticed like you that the balance control still functions even if you bypass the preamp and equalizer.
  23. B

Repair Techs in SW Wisconsin?

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a JVC JR-S501 to connect all my recent hi-fi interests into one machine, but it is in need of repair. Anyone know of someone in the Southwest part of Wisconsin who can help diagnose and fix the problem? I'm willing to drive a ways, like Madison (two hours...
  24. B

Hey all, I recently purchased a JR-S501 and it appears to be having the same problem. Faint sound when cranked to full. Any updates or ideas as to what's causing this? I should note, the power meters never show anything, but if you slide the the 40hz slider up and down they will jump a bit...
Back
Top Bottom