Search results

1. P

How about we all share what we are using to power our Klipsch Loudspeakers

A pair of Heresy II driven by a home made KT88 se ul amo. Couldn't be more pleased.
  2. P

wooden block under your TT ?

Ditto...Table saw and jointed fired and ready to take orders.
  3. P

Turn Table Opinion

I surely wouldn't discount vintage equipment (I'm vintage!). The thing is, record players isn't my area and honestly, I'm not sure I have the understanding or background to restore one. It surely seems simple enough...a dense foundation, a swing-arm with light weight and low mass, a needle that...
  4. P

Turn Table Opinion

I recently built my own KT88 SE amp...transistors and silicon were not viable technologies when I was going to school. I've got a pair of Klipsche Heresey II speakers and currently an iPod for audio source. As I mentioned in a previous posting, I do have an appreciable record collection but...
  5. P

Turn Table Opinion

Thank you very much for the insight...not a passing fancy though. I'm on a limited budget and I'm really a buy once and buy best you can type of person. My listening space is a simple room so, to really appreciate some seriously hi-end stuff would really mean a lot more than a turn table. I...
  6. P

Turn Table Opinion

OK, I have to admit that I didn't know what a 60's idler drive was until I just now looked it up. From that I gather that the Project is not high on your list of recommendations. I have to say based on the very high reviews of Rega and the lack of reviews for the Project, I was somewhat...
  7. P

Turn Table Opinion

Hello all, I'm needing a bit of advice and hopefully some comments from those who have had one or the other of the turntable currently up for consideration. Please keep in mind, I'm on a budget and frankly, I'm stretching it very tightly even considering this one. My preference would be for a...
  8. P

planning DIY SE KT88 build

Thanks guys and thanks should be shared to the other contributors of this thread. I got a lot of great ideas and good technical info here. I hope the next person who is on the fence about making one gets some inspiration and support here. :music:
  9. P

In the cabinet and played it for most of the day today. I'm very pleased and I think I'll call this complete. Thanks to all of the contributors of this thread.
  10. P

I haven't yet had a lot of time to just sit back and listen yet. I'm still working on some finish details for the bottom and feet. What I've heard so far sounds great. I do have a 5U4G on order just to see how it behave voltage wise and to satisfy my curiosity to see if it makes any difference...
  11. P

All assembled and sounds GREAT! All that remains is a bottom plate and some feet for it. I've been listening to it all week connected to my my Klipsche Heresey II's. Plenty of power for my listening space.
  12. P

Very kind of you. I appreciate the feedback. The green was kind of unexpected. I used a self etching primer and didn't think twice about the color when I bought it. I was pleasantly surprised when it dried to a rustic green. The chassis has a lot of room in it but that's a direct function of the...
  13. P

Thanks for validating my line of thinking. The one thing I'm sure still required will be the need for some sort of resistor on the input to help establish input impedance for the input stage of the amplifier.
  14. P

Hello all, I've been moving very slowly with my build. Too many work world distraction but I'm getting close to finishing up with construction. I plan to drive this with an external pre-amp so I'm not so sure I really see any value in having the volume/gain control on the front end. I'm thinking...
  15. P

Sorry to keep going on and on with the questions regarding this but I would imagine the idea is to select a TVS diode value that is just slightly higher than the final stabilized voltage so that it's not on conduction all the time. Is that right? It doesn't seem that you would want to use this...
  16. P

Intereseting, I have not seen these used before. I'll have to do a little web searching. Thanks for the suggestion. After looking into this I think I get the point but I'm still not quite sure about the application. Would I put one of these on the B+ line? If I understand the application...
  17. P

Thanks for these ideas. I should have plenty of room inside my chassis. I'll try to keep some extra spacing between my power supply capacitors to allow for additional parallel capacitor placement.
  18. P

Ah, ok...thanks. Our situations aren't exactly the same. I've heard a lot of back and forth on the use of the 5U4GB and the issues with the voltage spike. Some say not problems at all while others report noises and uncomfortably high voltage spikes at startup. I think for now I'll just stay the...
  19. P

I thank you. It seems you're using a bit more filtering than my current model is suggesting. Is this because of your transformer/rectifier selection or did you feel the additional components were needed to mitigate a particular problem? I did run my component list through PSUD2. The voltages...
  20. P

I'm looking forward to wiring it up. I've got to make one final cut in the back of the chassis for the IEC power inlet. After that I can get serious about parts placement and wiring. If it's not too much trouble what did you end up with for capacitors in your power supply. I've seen a wide array...
  21. P

Thanks very much for sharing your suggestions. I thought to give this orientation a try only because of a previous experience I had. In my previous build the transformer and choke were oriented as you suggested and I had some buzzing. After fiddling with it for several days I simply turn the...
  22. P

Thanks very much. It just so happens that I've got some rubber grommets in the slotted mounting holes in the transformer mounting pads. The end result is that they are up off the surface only slightly but I am rethinking this right now. I may go with some simple rubber washers which won't afford...
  23. P

Hello all, I sure hope this doesn't constitute a hi-jacking. If I should post this elsewhere please let me know. I'm finally really starting to make some progress with my KT88 project. This one will use a tube rectifier so it has a full compliment of transformers on the topside. I've drilled...
  24. P

CD Player into Wooden Chassis?

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone. I had thought about the shielding and thought that I could possibly still work this in. As an exersize strictly in the esthetics, I thought that I would find an old sony dic-man or something similar that had line-out jacks. Tear it down to the very...
Back
Top Bottom