Search results

1. surfnsound

Trio AFE-220 Valve Tuner Dial Scale

Hi there, anybody knows how to recreate the dial scale of this Trio? PS: It's a mono tuner, but it has for me by far the best sound I ever heard to another tuner (Leak Stereofetic, Sansui TU-505, Sansui TU-217, ..). I have no other experience with tubes, but this sounds just very very good. Is...
  2. surfnsound

Sansui 6500 Volume/Balance Pot

Hi all, need your help here. I got myself a AU-6500 but its not in good physical shape. The previous owner has exchanged volume and loudness pots, which are working now, but loudness is not working. The soldering job does not look very clean neither. I think I want to replace bother and redo...
  3. surfnsound

Scott A440 pop

Hi, I am running a beautiful Scott A440 amp which has, to my ears, a wonderful vintage sound. I ran it yesterday all day and suddenly while being in the shop I hear a loud "pop pop pop pop" that does not stop, louder then the music that was playing, probably around 4 loud pops per second, I...
  4. surfnsound

Goodmans K2 16 ohm?

Have the chance to pick up a pair of Goodmans K2. Seller says that he put in two new original Goodmans drivers, both 16 Ohm drivers as one of the original drivers was bust. Is the K2 original with 8 or 16 Ohm drivers? If the seller added 16 Ohm drivers would there not be a change in the...
  5. surfnsound

Sony STR-6120 2SD88A matched pair?

The previous owner has replaced two of the end transistors. I think I want to replace all four. So I would need four 2SD88A. As they are not easy to find, another thread proposes MJ21194 as replacement which I find at Mouser. But then again people talk about the "matched pair". What is a...
  6. surfnsound

Sony STR-6120 tuning meter

I just bought a Sony STR-6120. The unit works like a charm. However, the tuning meter does not move. The seller said his tech has "immobilized it in the center as the meter was not working any more". True thing is it does not really matter. The unit pulls in stereo, light is working, and the...
  7. surfnsound

SX-850 musical FM, dull AUX: How can?

I don't understand: The first time I listened to a streaming source on AUX, I immediately had the reaction "something sounds a bit dull here, a bit muddy, not as clean/clear". The FM however is spectacular, some of the best I have heard. Very clear, open, musical. So I took out my SX-750 and...
  8. surfnsound

Akai AA 1040 in

Just picked up this nice receiver. Anybody has one? Amazingly, this this sounds as good as if not better then my Sansui 771 which is a bit of my reference receiver. Phono is better by a lot (clearer, more dynamic). It just feels strange saying Akai sounds better then Sansui... :eek: I had as...
  9. surfnsound

Sony STR-6065 (no AM?)

Oka, I got already an STR 6046A I love. Got yesterday a 6065. Comparing, the 6046 has a bit a more open FM radio sound, the 6065 is more muted. However, phono is much better on the 6065 and as I play FM anyways through an old Leak stereofectic tuner, the 6065 stays as main rig. However, AM does...
  10. surfnsound

Sony STR-6046A

Just sharing this little amp. Previous posts are confirmed: Excellent phono amp (kicked-out my Sansui 771, SX-..., ) Rather good FM (I compare to the 771 which is similar, but not as good as my external Leak Stereofetic) Compact bass and open heights, good soundstage Real wood case I listen on...
  11. surfnsound

SS AMP/Receiver with THE BEST phono stage?

I listened to Pioneer SX (650, 6000), Sansuis (800, 771, 7070) and then.. was positively surprised about the Scott A 436 ... what a difference ! Do I need to conclude to kick my receivers and hunt for amps/tuners instead? The Scott A 436 is the only amp in the house so I cannot compare. Or...
  12. surfnsound

What's that? MBLA EL 84

http://www.2ememain.be/tv-hi-fi-vid%C3%A9o/hifi-audio/amplificateurs-ampli-syntoniseurs/ampli-a-tube-mbla-el-316502862.html Any ideas about type? David
  13. surfnsound

Should I recap? Sansui 5000 sounds dull.

I read several threads here that say recap does not really bring an advantage to the untrained ear (mine...). But: I git thus beautiful Sansui 5000 and comparing it to Sansui 800, Pioneer SX-6000, Sansui 771, others - it just never even made on my shelves to have some weeks of playing time. It...
  14. surfnsound

Leak Stereofetic and Leak Stereo 70: Wood cabinet?

Got myself a Stereofetic tuner from the UK - but without wood cabinet. Does anybody know where to get a wooden cabinet or a link on how to build nice wood cabinets DYI?
  15. surfnsound

SX-6000 Restaurantion

Got an SX-6000 in good visual shape, but its been a while since it did run. I think it will take ma a while to restore and wanted to open this thread. I open the receiver.... No sound There are two 3A channel fuses on the amp board. One was burned out, exchanged I get sound :-) :banana...
  16. surfnsound

HPM-100 "upgraded" with HPM-60 crossover?

I have the possibility to purchase HPM-100's. Seller says they have been "upgraded" by a pro with HPM-60 filters. Does that make sense? I have no experience with HPM series, I listen to Wharfedale Dovedale 3, Goodmans Magnum K or for more detail to DM2's.
  17. surfnsound

2235B tuning L201 problem

Ok, I broke it. Guilty as charged. Used a metal tool in order to try to turn the top part of the L201 on the SP-200 board in the 2235B. The problem was/is: The tuning meter is skewed to the left. I tried to adjust: Top part of L201 on SP-200 IF board: It loved a little but not much... I...
  18. surfnsound

DYI Speaker stand for Goodmans Magnum K

What else to do on a rainy weekend??
  19. surfnsound

Realistic Optimus 17?

Just bought them. Not impressed. I expected them to be similar then the Optimus 1. Optimus 17: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/realistic/optimus-17.shtml Optimus 1: http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc32/32001.htm Both have: 20 - 20 kHz 10 Inch high-compliance woofer...
  20. surfnsound

Heavy vintage speaker stands in EU?

Anybody has a good source for speaker stands? I look to position my Goodmans Magnum K... DYI is an option, but honestly I'd prefer to buy. Search Amazon, ebay... What would be a good position for these speakers? Inclined on floor? 40 cm height? 4 cm feet? Thanks !
  21. surfnsound

For your listening pleasure...

Pioneer SX-650 with Lenco turntable playing on Goodmans Mangnum K. Just love that stuff.. :-) Cleaned receiver (Deoxit) Change volume pot (still sound at zero position, fixed) Manual adjustment of FM stage (not enough signal strength, fixed) New wood veneer (removed plastics, iron-on veneer)...
  22. surfnsound

Goodmans Magnum K: Replacement tweeter and mids

Hi all, though I open a new thread for that: What would be a good replacement tweeter for the Magnum K? What would be a good replacement mid for the Magnum K? My mids seem scratching when moving, the tweeters voice coil is out of place. The speaker in general do sound well, but not open, i...
  23. surfnsound

Goodmans Tweeter - Foam gone

Okay, stupid me: I cleaned te speakers with a vacuum. Sucked the small foam in the middle of the tweeter right out !! Question: Is this a problem? If yes, how to replace? Before After
  24. surfnsound

Make plastic look like brushed metal

Okay, the G-3000 side pieces are plastic, I did not pay attention.... I think about spray painting.... any ideas to make these look like new?
  25. surfnsound

Nooooo !! Wharfedale Dovedale 3 Tweeter

The speaker sounded "dull", i opened, no sound from the tweeter. Removed tweeter. Removed black plastic piece... and broke the leads (had no idea the small leads where connected there. So here we go: Can I repair that?
Back
Top Bottom