Search results

1. MadcapLaughs

Owner of AU-6900 and AU-919. Which one to keep?

such a good call on your end, the 919 is a potential nightmare unless you have an Echowars level technician living nearby who accepts bitcoin as payment, I think the 717 would be the better choice. I had one for a while, great mono block design in the amp section, build quality is the best I’ve...
  2. MadcapLaughs

I mean I've taken enough expensive MOSFET Class A etc, amps through tech shops over the past several years to understand that quality engineering can actually come from very simple amps designs, I mean we have almost 7 decades of audiophile technology to chose from, and in the end people are...
  3. MadcapLaughs

My vote is punt the fragile Ferrari in the AU-919 and just rock out with the regular 6900. Ive had amps like the 600 supreme and in the end they are a giant headache and the thought of taking it back to a tech even after a restore will stay with you. Just skip these restoration nightmare...
  4. MadcapLaughs

Just one more AU thread: AU-7700 vs AU-777d vs AU-888

Alright I know this is well-tread ground at this point, but I am actually going to pull the trigger on one of these models and am torn between these three. I have read so many good things about both, especially the AU-777 series. I am currently using a higher end mac stack (MX110z / mc2505) but...
  5. MadcapLaughs

MX110Z Buzz in left channel. Hard to track the source

I am currently using a “Classe Seventy” power amp. Ideally I would be using my pilot SA 232 tube amp but a few techs have been unable to solve the red plating on that amp, no matter the tubes and caps used. I do have a knight KB 85 being worked on but haven’t used it yet. im in a bit of stereo...
  6. MadcapLaughs

Thanks for the reply Dave I appreciate the input. Unfortunately the deoxit spray didn't resolve the low level buzz, I thoroughly doused the main out jacks. I will say my MX 110 chassis does have a decent amount of corrosion. Tracking this down seems fairly difficult. Especially since the buzzing...
  7. MadcapLaughs

Hello friends, Its my turn to post one of these threads, I currently have a low level buzz coming out of the left channel of my preamp through my speaker, although its not audible after standing about 3 feet away, its definitely there and buzzing away. I have swapped R and L input cables from...
  8. MadcapLaughs

Pilot SA-232 new to me

Man i miss the LK 72 amp i had a while back. At the time i thought it was a bit soft sounding and moved on, now I realize that its actually quite difficult to find an amp with as smooth a sound profile as that Scott had. Need to get ahold of another. But the pilot 232 will never leave my house...
  9. MadcapLaughs

Pilot SA-232 new to me

Wel I appreciate the explanation, but I must admit I’m a bit dense with some of this stuff. I guess I can deduce that the pilot since it does not have a mono sum function does not allow for mono summing on playback through a stereo cartridge on mono records. The selection for only mono...
  10. MadcapLaughs

Pilot SA-232 new to me

From what I can tell there is no sum function on the 690 or 690a, only mono channel a (fm), and a separate channel b (am). Where is the typical A+B mono sum function? I dont understand why they only included two single channel options, in fact I'm not even sure what the purpose of that would be.
  11. MadcapLaughs

Pilot SA-232 new to me

Hey a bit off topic, but I have a pilot SA 232 tube amp and have used several preamps with it over the past few years, but I really want to get a matching pilot preamp. However, there is a small annoyance that I can’t seem to confirm why these pilot preamps have them: I listen to a ton of mono...
  12. MadcapLaughs

Hi there, I was reading through a Yamaha A-1 integrated amp restoration thread and saw you had...

Hi there, I was reading through a Yamaha A-1 integrated amp restoration thread and saw you had found someone who recreated the door hinges on the A-1 front faceplate door. Is there any way you could grab an extra set for me and ship it? I would of course pay you for it. I would appreciate it so...
  13. MadcapLaughs

KEF 104/2 Speakers. What sort of amplifier?

Ya I had my suspicions these speakers could be driven by tube amps. My pilot SA 232 doesn’t have 4ohm taps but I’ll give it a shot. Currently I’ve been using the Sony TA 55ES run through the HK 730 preamp out, and it’s a great combination. The cabinets are in ok shape but have some minor water...
  14. MadcapLaughs

KEF 104/2 Speakers. What sort of amplifier?

Hi all, I know this has been covered in depth in the past, but I would like opinions on just how hard of a load these speakers are to drive? So far I have the following amps in my inventory: Pilot SA 232 (12 wpc). Sony TA-N55ES (110wpc into 8ohm HK 730 (40 wpc into 8) Are any of these...
  15. MadcapLaughs

HK 730 vs Sansui 8080 (non db)

Woah, WOAH. this receiver is sooooo nice. So glad I grabbed it. Smooth as hell, my sensitive ears can take the volume without running out of the room. The phono stage sounds really nice, I’m thoroughly impressed so far. Great match up with the Tannoys. I already don’t miss my fisher 400c /...
  16. MadcapLaughs

Ya fair enough. But I’m one of those strange people though that insists on using the built in phono and preamp stages on vintage integrated/receivers. That’s part of the fun of it to me. If it’s not all up to snuff I take a hard pass. Weird audiophile behavior.
  17. MadcapLaughs

see this has me very concerned, I just can’t live with a bad sounding phono section. I’ve read through so many threads at this point and half the time people are lauding the stock 730 phono stage as one of the better ones in vintage receivers. The other half says it has a terrible EQ curve and...
  18. MadcapLaughs

Well the Sansui 8080 has passed me by on account of the seller plugging it in and getting cold feet after hearing it again and removing the listing. How annoying. But anyhow the wood case vinyl veneer was peeling off on many parts of the cabinet. I mean, I have to justify this somehow right...
  19. MadcapLaughs

I’m moving to Washington DC in September, got my place all set up, just need to load the moving van! also it looks like leaning towards the HK. It is definitely a better deal. Both are cosmetically clean, but the 8080 does have that vinyl veneer peeling off in places. Cost is no object I...
  20. MadcapLaughs

That’s some solid feedback thanks. And yes I don’t worry about the headroom, my pilot 232 tube amp can drive them to deafening levels as is. I’m really curious about the sound profiles of both amps. I can’t deal with ear fatigue very well, although the Tannoys seem smooth no matter the amp...
  21. MadcapLaughs

Hey team, I’m moving! unfortunately I’m going to be scaling down my current tube system running on my Tannoys, I’m moving out of Missouri to the east coast in a few months and will be living in a smaller living space. I’m absolutely committed to keeping my tannoy 12 golds speakers….but I now...
  22. MadcapLaughs

Because we need another Wharfedale W90 thread...

Actually if memory serves me correct, almost all the mid and later w90 models have the vented rear ports, so maybe there’s a chance those have the alnico drivers. I don’t think they do, but then again I thought only the earliest models with the alnico have the double solid back panels. God...
  23. MadcapLaughs

Because we need another Wharfedale W90 thread...

It looks like you have an earlier model, but not the earliest. It has the super tweeters at first glance, and ceramic drivers, which places it as coming after the first alnico woofer versions. The alnicos have red on the back of the woofers and do not feature a covered 2nd woofer, only the...
  24. MadcapLaughs

Nakamichi 680zx Is it worth the hype?

I can tell you that the recording quality is amazing on the 680, but honestly is in the same ballpark as other nakamichi decks I’ve used before (bx 300, LX 3, MR-1), I am strongly convinced that playback of pre recorded tapes is really what sets this 680 apart from the others in the pack. Unlike...
  25. MadcapLaughs

Nakamichi 680zx Is it worth the hype?

Well I understand the sentiments that the 680 may not be the superlative deck, but from what I’ve gathered, many serious nak fans absolutely regard the 680 series, and specifically the original non ZX 680 as being one of the best cassette decks ever built and on par with the dragon. Some say the...
Back
Top Bottom