Search results

1. MadcapLaughs

Just one more AU thread: AU-7700 vs AU-777d vs AU-888

Alright I know this is well-tread ground at this point, but I am actually going to pull the trigger on one of these models and am torn between these three. I have read so many good things about both, especially the AU-777 series. I am currently using a higher end mac stack (MX110z / mc2505) but...
  2. MadcapLaughs

MX110Z Buzz in left channel. Hard to track the source

Hello friends, Its my turn to post one of these threads, I currently have a low level buzz coming out of the left channel of my preamp through my speaker, although its not audible after standing about 3 feet away, its definitely there and buzzing away. I have swapped R and L input cables from...
  3. MadcapLaughs

KEF 104/2 Speakers. What sort of amplifier?

Hi all, I know this has been covered in depth in the past, but I would like opinions on just how hard of a load these speakers are to drive? So far I have the following amps in my inventory: Pilot SA 232 (12 wpc). Sony TA-N55ES (110wpc into 8ohm HK 730 (40 wpc into 8) Are any of these...
  4. MadcapLaughs

HK 730 vs Sansui 8080 (non db)

Hey team, I’m moving! unfortunately I’m going to be scaling down my current tube system running on my Tannoys, I’m moving out of Missouri to the east coast in a few months and will be living in a smaller living space. I’m absolutely committed to keeping my tannoy 12 golds speakers….but I now...
  5. MadcapLaughs

Tannoy Gold Monitor 12” any experience?

I’m getting ready to pick up a pair of original monitor gold 12 speakers locally this weekend. They have rebuilt crossovers and are situated in Tannoy Devon cabinets. Is it worth taking the plunge? I have a pilot sa 232 tube amp and a mac premap that will be driving them. Would they be an...
  6. MadcapLaughs

Pilot SA-232...Can it rock?

Hey all, I have a local option to pick up a Pilot SA 232 amp, apparently recapped and ready to go. I have been hounding the forums to gather what i can on it, and a lot of superlatives, but i need more specifics....Im just a little nervous about a 17wpc EL84 amp, as I have never had such a low...
  7. MadcapLaughs

Mcintosh C29 Preamp, new owner

Hey I just snagged a recapped Mcintosh c29 preamp recently, hooked up to a carver 400x amp and driving ADS L980 speakers, this is about as nice a setup as I’ve ever heard. I really want to experiment with amp options (obviously a matching Mac amp would be fantastic) but I would be open to either...
  8. MadcapLaughs

Nakamichi 680zx Is it worth the hype?

Hey all, first of all I am restricted from posting on tapeheads until I get through their top security clearance background check or whatever. (Strange cats over there at tapeheads lol). Anyways let me start by stating the obvious: Cassettes kick ass and I love the pre recorded ones too. Don’t...
  9. MadcapLaughs

Polk Monitor 10 RESPECT

Haven’t posted in a while but I just picked a set of these Polk monitor 10s of craigslist for next to nothing, and I am quite honestly shocked at the sound these beasts put out. I’ve been playing my Wharfedale w90s for a year now with a sherwood s 5000 ii tube amp powering them with no...
  10. MadcapLaughs

Fisher 500c phono stage channel output variance

Hi all, just wanted to see if anyone had some ideas on why my fisher 500c still has a stronger right channel when using the phono stage? It almost seems to be a phase issue possibly, mono lps sound balanced, but stereo records present a much stronger and clearer right channel, I need to turn...
  11. MadcapLaughs

Wharfedale W90 score! Solid state amp/receiver needed

Hey everybody, St. Louis Craigslist has turned into an audiophile treasure trove lately, I just picked up a near mint set of 1st gen Wharfedale w90s yesterday with the super 3s and ceramic woofs. Between these and my Altec 14s I can close my speaker search for a while. I have a Scott 299d which...
  12. MadcapLaughs

Altec Model 14 Cabinet refinishing

So, my Altec model 14s are sounding fantastic overall, but there is a final phase I would like to complete on these...it appears I have two different generations of 14s, one with a lighter cabinet finish and one with a darker cabinet finish. All other components are the same for these and the...
  13. MadcapLaughs

Altec Model 14 Vs Bozak Symphony

Hi there, I need some general opinions here if a pair of Bozak Symphonies would be a worthy upgrade from my Altec model 14s? The pair I’m looking at apparently have all the crossover modifications done and reccaped and are the later 1980 series models with the z tweeters. My model 14s sound...
  14. MadcapLaughs

Altec Model 14 Restoration.

I just picked a pair of Altec Model 14 Speakers up from Kentucky this weekend. Got lucky and bid cheap on the bay for them, Im minimally invested at this point. The only apparent thing they need is a refoam. Upon closer inspection when I brought them home, it appears that that is most likely...
  15. MadcapLaughs

Altec Segovia 874a vs University Medallion xii Speakers

Which one should I go with? Both are the same cost, I have had a guy holding these segovias for me for a while and need to decide ASAP. There are a nice pair of university medallion xii for sale too. Both are same cost roughly....which would you choose? 35 wpc tube amp is going to drive them...
  16. MadcapLaughs

Altec Segovia Speakers

Hi all, Can my Scott lk 72 handle 4ohm speakers that have a high efficiency rating?? (I know there are 4ohm taps but can it actually handle it)? I'm looking at Altec Segovias and they are 4ohm but rated in the mid 90s for efficiency, can anyone verify efficiency specs?. Also, Will the increase...
  17. MadcapLaughs

Wharfedale W90's (should they replace my Altecs???)

Hey I I have a chance to pick up a pair of ealry edition Wharfedale w90s for about $400 this weekend and I have to make a decision fast. I'm currently running Altec 890c Bolero horn speakers with a scott LK 72 tube amp (35wpc)...is this a worthy upgrade in anyone's opinion? I know that the...
  18. MadcapLaughs

Sibilance produced from HH Scott LK 72 Amp

hello, Wondering if anyone had any ideas about why my Scott lk 72 integrated amp might be generating sibilance on all my LPs? I am sure that my turntable had been correctly set up as it does not produce ANY sibilance when plugged in to my Sansui receiver and Yamaha integrated amp phono stages...
  19. MadcapLaughs

Rattling sound in bass frequencies (Scott tube amp)

Hello, I am hearing a rattling loose sound in the bass frequencies when I turn up my Scott LK 72 tube be amp up to moderately loud volumes, and it gets worse as you increase the volume from there. It is only happening in channel B. I have swapped the cables connecting to my speakers and the...
  20. MadcapLaughs

New to me HH Scott LK 72

So I finally made the leap into tube electronics after a "solid" three years of very nice classic integrateds from Yamaha, Sansui, etc. I just picked up an LK 72 for a good price, it had new orange caps, an array of original but in spec Scott tubes, and was cleaned and biased. The transformation...
  21. MadcapLaughs

Scott LK 72 vs Accuphase E 202 integrated amp

Please can I have some quick advice on which unit I should buy? They are both comepletely restored and in excellent shape...I'm buying one or the other today and I'm really on the fence for Classic hi end Accuphase solid state or going the tube route. Help me Rhonda!
  22. MadcapLaughs

Picking a new amp

Quick opinions needed; There is a chance to pick up a few amplifiers around the same price point, all look to be refurbished and proper cosmetic/ working order: Kenwood KA 907 integrated, a MC 2100 Mcintosh power amp, and a Scott LK 72 integrated. What would be the piece to jump for in your...
  23. MadcapLaughs

ADS L810

hello y'all, I am thinking of purchasing a pair of ADS L810 speakers but I noticed that they are rated 6ohm while many seem to refer to them as a 4ohm speaker. I noticed they are rated at 94 dcb efficiency as well. My question is will my Kenwood KA 9100 amp be able to drive these to loud...
  24. MadcapLaughs

40hz....subsonic or audible

Here's a quick question for ya.. I am getting a Kenwood supreme 600 amp repaired right now. I noticed that the low filter on this amp is able to filter out at 40hz and below. What I would really like to have is a subsonic filter that filters out 20hz and below. In anyone's experience is there...
  25. MadcapLaughs

Altec Bolero vs Model 15

Hey there, I am currently using a set of 890c bolero horn speakers in my main system and have the opportunity to get ahold of Altec Model 15s. The 15s have just been reformed by the the tech shop selling then. I really like my Altec boleros and wouldn't trade them for anything except larger...
Back
Top Bottom