Search results

1. G

Fisher 4000 quad

Its been a while since I took up a new system repair project. For some time I was on a high-power kick- which is fun, but I wanted to change things up. So I found this old weird Fisher quad on ebay- definitely a low end system from the day but no unobtanium parts- the amp is NPN...
  2. G

Millenials starved for actual stereo controls

We had a couple over for dinner last night, cool artist people- very millenial and a lot of fun to hang out with. I took them thru the shop and the husband literally couldn't keep his hands off my shop stereo Nikko 6065 - had to mess with the knobs and press the locking pushbuttons.. :)...
  3. G

Kenwood KR-6030 (stinky!)

I found this basket-case on ebay, I had high hopes for a hacked up mess, but this one looks fairly good inside. OTOH its easily the stinkiest set I've worked on, smells like a <lot> of deep, ancient B.O. and marijuana smoke. Sure glad I was not involved in removing it from wherever it was...
  4. G

NAD 3150

Hi all, I recently got this from ebay, seller says it doesn't work- hopefully something is blown out. It has the oft-reported heat issues related to the protection relay driver circuit- so I'll dig into that- some other heat issues look to be related to the regulators so some work may be...
  5. G

Sansui G-4700

I found an interesting basket-case on ebay. Seller indicates it blows fuses shortly after powerup, due to one of the speaker terminals being shorted accidentally. I removed the driver transistors and emitter follower resistors and got the unit powered thru dim-bulb and a 3a fuse (spec is 5a)...
  6. G

Fisher 143-92521600

I found a real ebay junker, pretty cheap :) unfortunately not much available online about the innards, turns out this unit & perhaps others in the series use amp modules. This one uses modules marked "Fisher 401"; see pics below. I'll do the basic powerup tests but I've no interest in module...
  7. G

Sansui AU-4900

Here's the next dead amp from ebay; Seller says "it won't turn on".. but all the fuses are there and look OK... :) All the knobs are present and everything feels reasonable. One of the switch handles and one of button caps is missing- so I will get to fire up the turret lathe on this one...
  8. G

Sansui AU-D7

I've been wanting to try out fixing up a Sansui for some time, I finally came across one that I liked; missing volume knob, amplifier issues, dead lamps... perfect! I'll make a new knob in the shop, no sweat. Inside its a little dirty but the left channel has different driver transistors and...
  9. G

50's vintage DIY speakers

My father didn't build these but they date back to his college days, I used them briefly as a teen before I had enough of a paycheck to get new stuff. So here I am 30+ years later and here they are again lol. The drivers are Stromberg-Carlson gold-coax's, the adjustable crossovers and tweeters...
  10. G

Yamaha A-550

Another ebay basket-case, I got this one because it was cheap and dead as per the seller. I'm setting up a PA system in a duffel bag, so needed a smallish amp with reasonable power (40 watts/channel), and I liked the light-up input selectors. I took these pics after getting the...
  11. G

Kenwood KA-5700

I got a new basket-case from ebay. Seller reported missing volume knob, partially burned and repaired power supply, blows fuse on powerup- so far so good :) I'll make a new volume knob, will be a fun project on the lathe. The rectifier repair looks half-way reasonable at first glance, but...
  12. G

Nikko 6065

I thought this one was going to be a cheap good replacement for my dad's Onkyo 1500 which has at least one blown amp module (lots of counterfeits online, found none used short of a parts unit and they're more than I'm inclined to spend). But on arrival this one is pretty rough so I'll work it...
  13. G

Technics su-v3

I found a nice "parts or repair" su-v3 on ebay, the plan is to put it upstairs for the TV speakers- no need to waste my nice jvc mca-v7e quad doing that. The seller says one channel is not working, case is a beat up a little bit, one of the switches is binding, price was right... perfect! :)...
  14. G

Onkyo a-7022

OK, so here's the next ebay hardcase. Between 50 and 70 wpc stereo, depending on speakers etc. The seller said he couldn't get any sound out of it, don't know if its really dead or he didn't hook it up properly. Its a nice, hefty unit and very well executed. Note the broken loudness toggle...
  15. G

JVC MCA-V7E integrated amp (15 wpc quad)

Repost- I edited the thread I originally created but then the whole thing disappeared... anyhow, the jvc 4vr-5446 is working great, so its time for another project. I found this one on ebay, with a schematic on hifiengine so why not... :) All knobs are machined from solid, the only plastic...
  16. G

Front panel letter mask restore

I'm restoring a JVC quad amp, electronics are going well so I'm looking at other things; the front panel has some issues with the indicators- the lights all work but the letter masking is eroded from years of illumination. I think the prev owners spent a lot of time in quad, FM and phono :)...
  17. G

That feeling when you drop a screw deep into the cable harness...

And have to start taking off bits and pieces, flexing 30+ year old cables trying to dislodge it! :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant: and then it falls out onto the workbench :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
  18. G

Leaking electrolytic capacitor looks like this?

These are filter caps from the power supply board of my jvc 4vr-5446. ESR is in the good range on a few I tested but my guess is the caps leaked and are pretty dead at this point. The residue on the board looks a bit like glue when the caps are in place but does not act like glue at all when...
  19. G

JVC 4vr-5446 overhaul

I've been looking for a quad system to work on, previous one was a Panasonic quad 8-track which was a little interesting but too far down the food chain, and the nec amps didn't have the power I'm looking for- two were blown and replacements somewhat unobtainium anyhow and schematic manual cost...
  20. G

F'ing F dropped my speaker- broke the glued seams

JBL 2800 not that its a great speaker but the pair were in great condition... now only one is lolz. Woofer cracked out a few of its mounting screws but didn't flop out or bounce around- cone is fine. @*$$*@ so glued up the joints and mashed it back into square, rotated the woofer 90 deg and...
  21. G

Panasonic RE-8860 (quad 8-track & receiver) overhaul #2

I want to get a quad system running, I happened across this one and looked like fun. I've not found a freebie service manual yet though an original is on ebay. I found one reference to this model # in an old Billboard magazine from 1974.. so thats its approximate vintage. Its a lower end...
  22. G

Technics SA-5360 overhaul #1

Hi all, a friend of mine's mother passed away and I was helping clean out the house, repair stuff to help with the sale. I saw the stereo he had bought his parents back in the day and offered to buy it mostly to help with the estate cash flow (jvc rx-305, pair of JBL 2600's, tape & cd players)...
Back
Top Bottom