Search results

1. Kenaz Filan

Latest Acquisition -- Janszen Z-600s

A user on one of my Facebook stereo forums was selling his father's Janszens. They had not been used for at least a decade and he couldn't guarantee they were still operational but I decided to take a chance. Getting them to my 3rd floor apartment took some effort: they made them heavy in the...
  2. Kenaz Filan

For $1k...which used floorstanding models would beat new?

I have a pair of Forte Is with titanium diaphragms and Crites crossovers: my total cost was around $800 and I would put them up against speakers costing 5-10 times as much. I also have a pair of Bose 10.2 series IIs that I picked up for $250. While I am not that impressed with contemporary Bose...
  3. Kenaz Filan

For $1k...which used floorstanding models would beat new?

Klipsch Cornwall Is or IIs Klipsch Chorus Klipsch Fortes (my personal favorite)
  4. Kenaz Filan

What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

I have a McIntosh MA6200 and absolutely love it. There's a warmth and "ease" to the sound I've never heard with other amplifiers: there's also an incredible precision and detail, and of course there's that classic McIntosh aesthetic. And as an added bonus they're made not far from where I grew...
  5. Kenaz Filan

What are your dream speakers?

You can do lots of neat things to improve the bass response on smaller speakers but sooner or later you run headlong into Hoffman's Iron Law.
  6. Kenaz Filan

What are your dream speakers?

As an apartment-dweller, my issue is space more than funds. I doubt I will ever have the room for Klipschorns or Bozak Concert Grands, which are two of my dream speakers. (Heck, my Forte Is are arguably too much for my 150sf listening room). I am partial to the sound of big vintage boxes but...
  7. Kenaz Filan

New addition to my new addiction...Fortes

Just picked up a pair of Fortes myself and have been blown away by their general awesomeness. I'm finding that size really matters in speakers: for lack of a better word, music played on Fortes at any volume sounds "bigger" than when I was playing through my old DLK-1s. (There's also an extra...
  8. Kenaz Filan

DLK 1 1/2 speakers -- any owners here?

Owned DLK 1s for years before recently upgrading to Klipsch Fortes. The 1s have excellent detail and surprisingly good bass for a smaller speaker. While DLKs aren't that well-known on the East Coast they are definitely worth the money: I'd love to get a complete set (DLK 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2, 3...
  9. Kenaz Filan

Klipsch Forte v1s + ? (Marantz, McIntosh, or Other)

My quest for a great vintage stereo system began with a Marantz 2238b which I purchased on eBay ... and which arrived with a broken selector knob. I am presently doing research on the costs of repair + restoration, and whether or not it would be wiser to repair it or to keep it around as a...
  10. Kenaz Filan

Volume on an STAX SRD-34 system?

That makes sense, thanks. Ah well, you pays your eBay, you takes your chances. Looks like I'll have to spend a bit more than $100 to get the electrostatic headphone experience. Time to start pinching pennies for a midrange STAX setup...
  11. Kenaz Filan

Volume on an STAX SRD-34 system?

I picked up a STAX SRD-34 Electret system on eBay. So far I've tried hooking it into a 20 watt Scott Stereomaster, a 38 watt Marantz, and an 80 watt Onkyo TX-906. I had the best results with the Onkyo, but even there couldn't get it above a medium low volume before I started hearing clipping...
Back
Top Bottom