Search results

1. skraggs

Newbie needs a little bit of help

Hi folks! So I'm about to buy my first tube amp to pair with my Klipsch Forte III. I had the pleasure to demo an Icon Audio Stereo 40, a PP outfitted with EL34 and 6SN7 tubes. I loved it, everything I had ever heard about the richness and sweetness of tube amps was there and it gave me so much...
  2. skraggs

I'm sorry America...

Ok, I'm going to be very honest with you guys: Most of my life I haven't had the highest opinion of american engineering and craftsmanship. My audio stuff came from the Brits, zee Germans or my own little country and I was always very happy with it. But I think two of the most important traits...
  3. skraggs

King Roger The Great

One month after winning his record 20th grand slam title, Roger Federer returns to the top of the ATP rankings on monday. At age 36 (and a half), he will be the oldest #1 of all time, setting yet another record in an incredible career. Admittedly, I'm biased because the guy grew up 10 minutes...
  4. skraggs

Cash Unearthed (Vinyl)

Anyone bought these and would like to share their impressions? That box really looks gorgeous but those cardbox sleeves have me worried...
  5. skraggs

Clifford Brown

So a couple of weeks ago I got the Music Matters reissue of Clifford Brown's Memorial Album and it has immediately become one of my favourite jazz records ever. This now begs the question: What else should I get? I'm only looking for decent vinyl releases and there doesn't seem to be an awful...
  6. skraggs

PC humming

Hey everybody, I got a problem with humming coming from my computer. There are two connections from my PC to my amp: 1. PC - hdmi - TV - optical - opt. converter - rca - AMP 2. PC - usb - Schiit Gungnir MB - rca - AMP The humming only occurs when both the usb and the hdmi are connected...
  7. skraggs

So I've installed my first cartridge...

Ok, after I've had my new turntable for a while now I finally got around to get my second TT back to work. The idea was to get a MM cart and use the old table for worn records and such. After some consideration and a lot of help from folks here I decided on the Shure M97XE, as it seemed to be...
  8. skraggs

Audio literature

So I was wondering if there are any decent books about the technical aspects of our hobby. Things I'd like to learn about more are: How is music recorded and mixed? How are the various media manufactured and how do they work? How does our equipment work? etc. I know there's plenty of...
  9. skraggs

"Forgiving" MM cartridges?

Ok, Phase I of my masterplan for my vinyl setup is done: Treated myself to a VPI Classic/Benz Micro Wood combo and I'm LOVING it. On to Phase II: New cartridge for my old NAD TT. First of all, I was pleasantly surprised how well the Benz handles bad or worn out pressings. Still, there are some...
  10. skraggs

VPI Classic

Howdy! I always loved the looks of the VPI Classic but I always figured it to be far from what I can and want to spend - I would have to import it from Germany since there's no seller here in Switzerland, with shipping and customs the thing would cost around 5000$, plus another 1000 for the...
  11. skraggs

Tonearm length

I'm looking at either the Pro-Ject Xtension 9 or 10. I prefer the looks of the 10 but I'm not gonna pay 1000$ extra for that. The one thing that intrigues me is the length difference in the tonearm. In my head, a longer tonearm makes sense with the cartridge more on a straight line across the...
Back
Top Bottom