Search results

1. AudioBugged

Musical Paradise MP-701 preamp

Tube rush is just part of the territory and you're going to hear some if your hovering around the tweeters. My current speakers are 89dB efficient and I hear nothing from a seated position. I also use a Musical Paradise MP-D1 MK2 tube DAC. Having been impressed with Garry's DAC was the reason...
  2. AudioBugged

It's very musical and does everything I wished I could have cranked out of the Grounded Grid with mods and upgrades but never could. I'll have to post some photos of the underneath maybe this weekend. As it's like a Swiss Army knife since it has switches underneath to change the voltage for the...
  3. AudioBugged

The inputs and outputs on the back are laid out with some symmetry and there's no issues space wise connecting any sort of interconnects. The chassis mounted RCA's are gold bead blasted CMC and they really hold the cables tightly compared to polished gold plated. The size of the preamp took a...
  4. AudioBugged

Yeah the metric sizes seemed way smaller in my head since I too was a bit shocked at the MP-701's size which is 12" wide x 13" deep x 6" high. I look forward to your review of the MP401 MK3, as I paired the MP-701 with a single Monarchy Audio SM-70 MK2 and my Sophia Electric EL-34 amp has been...
  5. AudioBugged

You're welcome as I just stubbled across your post purely by accident. I've been using it daily now for about 4 months and honestly feel I'd need close to a $3K new retail budget to find any other tube preamp that might come close or possibly better it?
  6. AudioBugged

I bought one of the Musical Paradise MP-701's early this summer after spending a year or more upgrading everything possible on my Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid preamplifier. The Grounded Grid preamp has been hailed being a Giant Killer since the late 1990's. The MP-701 right out of the box...
  7. AudioBugged

Help with how to connect a subwoofer to a 1070?

I sold my 1070 to a buddy of mine and kept my 1040. He's going with a pair of bookshelf monitors that need a subwoofer. How would you go about connecting one? Many thanks in advance! :)
  8. AudioBugged

New silkscreening on faceplates?

If all fails you could always use a vintage rotary label maker ;)
  9. AudioBugged

1040 Good Buddy... This Marantz is a Real Sleeper!

So I've owned a Marantz 1070 that's fully recapped for a while which out of all the vintage solid state integrated amps I've played with is my favorite. The 1070 only gets better when you completely bypass the preamp section with a passive. Still not that I needed another amp but I have been...
  10. AudioBugged

Estimating Newness?

Thanks! :) Putting more hours on it the smell is almost gone.
  11. AudioBugged

Estimating Newness?

I purchased 2 exactly the same stereo amps from a seller who owned 3 with 2 being used in separate systems. Based on the cosmetic changes the 1st is a earlier example about 12+/- years old and works no issues and if I place my nose close atop smells like any other used tube amp I've ever used...
  12. AudioBugged

Estimating Newness?

How many hours could there be on a tube amp if when you power it up your blessed with a strong aroma of flux & solder?
  13. AudioBugged

What was the odd fascination in the 1970-90's with Rack Mountable Face Plates?

xero-D-hero, PM me your address as I want to put you on my Xmas card list! :p Seriously thanks to like minded buyers the last 3 sets of rack handles I sold more then covered the the price of the gear they came from. This makes keeping gear & having the house nearly look like a pawn shop so much...
  14. AudioBugged

Lazurus Class A Hybrid Question?

I wanted to play with one of these amps and searched for about 5 years a decade ago. I finally gave up as none ever surfaced which didn't show excessive signs of abuse. Well I just by chance snagged one in near mint condition which is due to arrive tomorrow. There's not much info on these on the...
  15. AudioBugged

MaxxVolume, Those Pioneer racks screams bachelorhood... It looks like something that should be in hospitals emergency room to resuscitate audio enthusiasts ;) :P
  16. AudioBugged

I've never liked rack handles either and usually avoid gear with them or remove and sell them. As a real man doesn't need sissy bars to hump a piece of heavy gear inch by inch onto a rack shelf ;) :p Once your back recovers and you stop sweating profusely it's far more rewarding to have done...
  17. AudioBugged

gtv2000, That Pioneer stacked rack you posted with the high gloss black and wood grain veneer isn't bad looking. I really should edit my OP as no one had dedicated listening rooms back then so you had to deal with WAF in your family or living room.
  18. AudioBugged

I've personally never liked any gear with a rack mountable face plate and would only consider it if that's the only way it comes. I don't recall ever flipping through any older audio publications and seeing gear rack mounted. Did folks ever actually practice this ritual in their listening...
  19. AudioBugged

Lazurus Class A Hybrid Question?

Where oh where do I post this.... Solid State or Tube? :dunno: Anyhow here it goes as I wanted to play with one of these amps and searched for about 5 years a decade ago. I finally gave up as none ever surfaced which didn't show excessive signs of abuse. Well I just by chance snagged one in...
  20. AudioBugged

Telefunken 6DJ8 / ECC88 Question?

I am in the midst of digging out all 6922 family tubes I have on hand as I await the arrival of a new toy. These Telefunken 6DJ8 tubes came as a spare set with something I bought years ago and I just now unwrapped them. Beyond the nice Xmas theme what do the Green & Red tips stands for? Is it...
  21. AudioBugged

My Hot Rodded Marantz 1060

Really nice work and you can see the IEC is grounded to the chassis by the bright screw on the right.
  22. AudioBugged

Kenwood KA 9100 noisy volume pot issue

You can address everything inside a 9100 that needs D-5 by just removing the 2 layer top lid. Adequate lighting makes it a breeze.
  23. AudioBugged

Rival Gang Rumble...

So I purchased a Pioneer SX-890 which has the same exact 3 gang tuner section as my SX-780. The signal strength on the 890 not only far exceeds the 780, but also my 4 gang Onkyo T-4090 and 6 gang Kenwood KT-8300. I'm pulling in stations with the 890 the other can't even locate. Sure there's a...
  24. AudioBugged

I've got Kenwood in my blood!

:rflmao: I can surely vouch for that! :rockon:
  25. AudioBugged

Question for SX-890 Owners?

Does anyone have a night photograph of the black dial when lit up by the bulbs? Also is a SX-890 a valid upgrade to a SX-780? Has anyone owned both and done a shoot out? Thanks in advance! :)
Back
Top Bottom