Search results

1. Broncoblair

I Want To Build A Tube Phono Preamp

I am handy with a soldering iron and have a basic understanding of electronics, signal flow etc. I don't want to spend $5000 on a tube phono preamp but i might want to build one. I work in the pro audio world so I have access to transformers (from Manley) among others. It's just design I guess...
  2. Broncoblair

Cantilever for Audio Technica AT440MLA

On advice from this forum I purchased a no longer made AT440MLa Cart. God its amazing. For once the high end didn't fizzle out like many other carts ! My wife I believe unfortunately may have caught the needle on the side of the moving turn table... The needle has a slight bend to it. Records...
  3. Broncoblair

First Tube DIY Phono Preamp Suggestions?

Hi guys So I've had a few different receivers but nothing ever modular like separate preamp or amp. I had a Pioneer SA-7500 which I loved but it stopped working and seemed more expensive to fix than to buy another so then I bought a Luxman R-1040. Thing also broke. Although I loved the sound ...
  4. Broncoblair

Tucker99 - Great AK'r and I'm a Happy Customer !

Tucker99 started a conversation with me about buying one of his TD-145's or TD160's Thorens from him after I posted in WTB. He sent me DETAILED photos of both beautiful tables. One thing I've learned after looking at countless eBay ads is that most of those guys are selling you something...
  5. Broncoblair

Benefit of Replacing Thorens TD-16 Tonearm?

Just curious ! I see a lot of guys swap out for SME or Rega tonearms. I just got my 160 and love it so far, but I want to better understand the need to mod these tables, is it worth it? Are you doing it for looks? Are you doing it for cartridge compatibility ? Also how hard is it to do? I...
  6. Broncoblair

Thorens TD160 - Can't Walk Past without a Skip !

Just got this TT. Love it so far except for the skipping and also the Stephenson alignment I did, didn't seem to do too well so I'm going to print out the Thorens one. But we can't come within 6-7 feet of the thing without the needle jumping off of the grooves. I tried to tighten the screws...
  7. Broncoblair

SoCal ?

Anyone in the LA area ? Where do you go for your home audio needs? Are there any swap meets in LA ? I'd love to meet some other AK members ! Im located in Hollywood.
  8. Broncoblair

Luxman R-1050 Keeps Going into Protection Mode?

It's weird, it's the best sounding receiver I've ever owned. Makes my SA-7500MkII sound like childs play. It will randomly go into protection, popping the speakers and then come out. Sometimes it will stay in protection for quite sometime, sometimes it will not go into protection at all after...
  9. Broncoblair

First Thorens - TD 145 or TD 166 ?

I know little. I've owned Technics. Currently have a 1210MK3D. It isn't for everything. Im curious to have a more listener friendly less dj turntable in the house.... These price points seem reasonable for me.
  10. Broncoblair

Thinking of Selling my Technics 1210 MK3 for Something More Audiophile

I've fallen in love with a few carts and they don't seem well suited with my Technics which bums me out because I love how solid the TT is. I have a Grado Gold with an 8MZ a few older Empires that I love too. I am getting a lot of inner groove distortion especially on sibilant vocals. So much...
  11. Broncoblair

Grado Gold + Vintage Empire Cart Shootout

So I got a Grado Gold cart over the holidays so I could plop my 8MZ on. So I did a little shootout with my Empire LTD400 and the Grado with different styli. I am using resistors with the Grado, not the Empire. Empire has a bit more level than the Grado. I used clip gain in Pro Tools to even out...
  12. Broncoblair

Pioneer SA-7500 MkII Crackling in Right Speaker Ocean Noise

I am assuming it's a transistor. Caps don't plop out like this out of nowhere. I just can't figure out which transistors. Hopefully it isn't the chips in the AF Amp because those were made by Pioneer. I think it's probably in the Control Amp since the noise is post volume knob. It happens even...
  13. Broncoblair

Great Speakers but for a Bargain - Vintage or Newer

So I've been reading a lot about what is popular on here. I am a recording engineer. At the studio I have a pair of Dynaudio BM15A's, Proac Studio 100's, Altec 604E's with Big Red's and custom Mastering Lab Crossovers modified by Steve Haselton (our studio is the studio where Doug Sax did all of...
  14. Broncoblair

How Do You Store Your Records? (Furniture)

So I just moved into a new place. For years now I've had my records in crates. I really want to put them in a place that's visible and arrange them alphabetically with letter tabs. A credenza would be my ideal storage situation but I have too many records. Anyone care to post their solutions?
  15. Broncoblair

SL-1210 Mk3 to Yamaha GT750 ?

So I've had the 1210 a few years and its great. I'm no DJ and never plan to be one. I just knew it was a solid turntable and would be reliable. The more i dive into carts etc it seems like the 1200 series finds itself a bit more limited. My only experience with other turntables is older 70's...
  16. Broncoblair

$200-$300 Budget for Cart - Grado Gold 1 v.s. Clearaudio V2 v.s. Shelter 201

I have an Empire LTD400 and a Technics 1210 Mk3. I listen to a lot of older records. I really love the Empire but want another cart with a different flavor. I love how lively and tight the Empire is. I've done some reading here and some research on Needle Doctor on a few carts around this price...
  17. Broncoblair

Favorite Tube DIY Phono Pre?

Im sure this has been covered somewhat! But I am new here and I am looking to perhaps make a tube based phono pre for home use. I have a Technics 1200 mk3, Pioneer SA-7500 and KLH model 5 speakers. I listen to mostly older records with some new ones mixed in as well. I'm fairly handy with a...
  18. Broncoblair

Receiver Upgrade from a Pioneer SA-7500

So I've been reading a bit about this receiver. I've had it for probably 8 years and I love the way it sounds through my KLH Model 5 speakers. But from what I've read in this forum it was a fairly low end receiver. Fooled me and I work in a mostly analog recording studio. This thing sounds great...
  19. Broncoblair

Empire Cartridge Question

Hi Guys! I've got a few cartridges. I have a few Orofon Pro S guys that fit into an Orofon Concord. Not a huge fan of the sound of these. I'm not a DJ, they seem too dark to me. I also have an Empire 400 LTD I believe? It's yellow. It's in a crappy head shell. I believe it's an old cheapo...
  20. Broncoblair

Hi from Los Angeles! I Have a Question

New here! I have 1000 or so LP's mostly older stuff. Not a super fancy setup but it sounds great for what I like listening to! I have a Technics 1200 mk3 a 70's Pioneer receiver, no chips all discrete, and a pair of KLH series 5. Love my KLH's!
Back
Top Bottom