Search results

1. plbeard

AR 3a Grill Cloth Options

More notes on AR 3a grill cloth replacement, with a few notes on sound. I recently got a pair of 1969 AR 3as. They were original, and in pretty good cosmetic shape. I rehabbed all of the caps and pots (which were shot). I refreshed the finish, which was sunbleached in places, with light steel...
  2. plbeard

Removing Tonearm Pivot Screw/ Arm-rewire Sony 2400

I have a Sony PS 2400 (1971 belt drive TT) whose tonearm I am trying to re-wire. (the symptom causing this was itself odd; one channel on receipt had no treble above ~ 1k Hz and/ or weak volume--the problem is definitely in the tonearm wiring). To do this rewire, I need to remove the tonearm...
  3. plbeard

Nagaoka for Lp Mono, N-MP1.0--user reports?

I am really curious about the Nagaoka N-MP1.0--mono (for pre-1967 Lp /45s) -- as the Naga MP series is already somewhat low compliance, (suitable for a heavier-armed mono set-up) and those MP series carts are quite nice, and this mono cart will snap onto any of them-- when I recently noticed...
  4. plbeard

Harman Kardon A500: bass fix?

I am trying to determine if an odd characteristic of my A500 is design-based or a fault in its current arrangement. Its bass below 400k is weak and lacks punch. It is otherwise a very clear and promising amp. The amp was rehabbed and recapped several years ago by a smart, very experienced tube...
  5. plbeard

Electro-Voice Esquire Terminal Bit?

Anybody have a name for this EV Esquire speaker screw terminal? It looks commonplace, but I don't know what to name it to search and find; I need a few of them.
  6. plbeard

Thorens 150 Mk II Rt. Front Spring Tuning?

I recently got a Thorens 150 MK II, excellent condition. I don't think it had ever been serviced or tuned; the red paint on the suspension bolts seemed original when I took the back off. Because the platter-chassis was touching the case on the rebound, I tuned the suspension springs. I...
  7. plbeard

AR XA starter motor mounting plate?

A question for someone who knows the assembly of the original two-motor style AR XA turntables. I have an AR XA starter motor (the helper guy) that came out of its mounting plate in shipping. These have an unholy looking, jack-leg "bracket" made out of thin folded metal, about the weight of a...
  8. plbeard

Pioneer PL-50 Ground Issue

I have a Pioneer PL-50 that may have a ground loop; it isn't a simple ground issue. The ground wire takes care of 80% of the normal ground noise, but at 50% volume (with no music) one can hear a lingering 60 cycle buzz and some hum when the TT motor is engaged. Frankly, this isn't objectionable...
  9. plbeard

KLH Ohm Reading at Terminals/ (or any vintage w/ crossover)

I have a question about reading KLH speakers (or maybe any vintage speaker with a crossover) for an ohm rating at their cabinet terminals. I have some KLH 5s that I built from parts and they read 4 ohms at the terminals. They sound great, but I don't want to treat them like 8 ohm speakers if...
  10. plbeard

KLH 5 Grille Cloth

Just a tip for those looking for decent, acoustically transparent, fairly historically-accurate-looking grille cloth for KLH 5s, esp., but potentially for others, too: this is 18ct thread, like the originals. It is polyester and is currently less than seven dollars per bolt yard--more than...
  11. plbeard

KLH 5 Woofer Ground Question

I am re-assembling some KLH Fives; I started with empty cabinets and have gathered the components together. I have refurbished the crossovers. Since I did not have an image (and can't find one online) of what the wiring pattern to the speakers within the cabinet looked like, and schematics just...
  12. plbeard

Pioneer Belt-Dr Motors?

I have a Pioneer belt drive turntable, a Pl-50. It needs a new motor. I don't see (for sale) a motor for this model, but I often see others for sale, e.g., Pioneer PL-A35D or PL-115D. etc. Are various Pioneer belt-drive turntable motors tuned to specific platters? Or are some...
  13. plbeard

999 Fuse Blowing/ Transistor Repair

My goal with a 999 I have is to replace, before attempting any re-cap, its so-called "flying saucer" cdc8002/cdc9002 transistors, as discussed here in many posts. The amp, prior to any repair attempt, popped and spluttered after start up, and sometimes would have a clear signal but more...
  14. plbeard

Scott LK48 rectifier advice

This may be a bit much to ask, but I thought I'd give it a shot, as I'd love to do this work myself, but I am a novice-in-training at amp rehab. Could someone give me cogent, point-by-point instructions on how to re-build the bias supply, including a new rectifier (diode or diode...
  15. plbeard

Scott LK-48 Phono Stage Problem

I have a Scott LK-48 that I have had about 6 months. It has worked fine, but one channel in the phono stage is dropping out. The other functions (CD, i.e.) are fine. Is this likely a capacitor problem, or could it be a tube? Which tube, if so? I thought this amp had been re-habbed, but...
  16. plbeard

999 and 555 rehab? re-cap advice?

I realize this is an ultra-common question, but I'd like to skip the highly charged aesthetic debates of earlier posts (I'll read them; they are interesting) and go to to basic tech advice about possible cap replacement in two Sansui amps I have: I have a Sansui 999 (recently purchased)...
Back
Top Bottom