Search results

1. ebcdic

Whats the most dissapointing speaker you've ever heard?

For me: Wharfedale W60. 2 Ways. Sounded so, small and boxy. I know they have a following but I just did not get it. Tryed with vintage tubes as well as SS. Recapped, same sound. The furniture though was beautiful...Ended up moving them along. They were a 10/10 cosmetically. The guy I sold them...
  2. ebcdic

Here I go again...

It is amazing what those Daytons sell for. My understanding is that they do not even have a proper X-over, yet they sound so nice. One of the best bargains in bookshelves...
  3. ebcdic

My Project Tube Box S2 vs (another preamp)?

Only YOU'RE ears can tell. If you are looking for an affordable 2nd pre, may I suggest the Bugle: https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/bugle3-phono-preamp-mm-mc I have the 2 and it is a great sounding pre.
  4. ebcdic

Your Favorite Receiver

Ding ding, we have the winner...
  5. ebcdic

Pioneer SX-828

IMO the best sounding receiver Pioneer ever manufactured.
  6. ebcdic

Advice on Re-veneering Speaker Cabinets

Sure thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KN8INE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  7. ebcdic

One more I forgot: -Since most Veneer is ships in rolls, unroll the stuff and throw some stuff on top so it lays flat for a couple days prior to starting the project. Flat is much easier to work with. Letting it sit out also allows the wood to properly acclimate to the environment and will...
  8. ebcdic

I did a bunch of Turntable Plinths with wood glue like your self and it was nothing but frustration. They all turned out well but way to much work and redos. Re gluing loose corners, pushing out bubbles etc. I just did an Akai R2R case recently and used contact cement. What a revelation. So...
  9. ebcdic

Speaker Crossover Capacitor Advise

So I ended up going with the 2.4 and 3.6 poly Axons and 18uf/33uf Jantzen non polar elect from partsconexion. Even though in CA can't imagine shipping being any slower than Part Express lol. Pretty sure they still using pony express. Thanks for advice everyone.
  10. ebcdic

Thanks. Closest I have found are Solen PB 2.4uf and 3.6uf @Partsconexion. They also have same values in Axon which appear to be the same cap. Now I am reading they can be a bit grainy. This is giving me a headache lol.
  11. ebcdic

Hello. I am going to do a recap on my Yamaha NS-690 I speakers. The crossovers have some odd values: 2.5uf 160V *2 Axial IMPORTANT 3.5uf 100V *2 (Axial Terms One Side) 18uf 50V *2 Radial Bipolar IMPORTANT 33uf 50V *2 Radial Bipolar Would it be better to sub values that are close for the 2.5...
  12. ebcdic

Technics SB L-200

I know Technics speakers do not get much love around here. I picked up a pair of Technics SB L-200 speakers. Reasonable mid sized cabinet (Smaller that my KLH 6 2 ways). These are great sounding speaker. Good imaging, Nice Bass. The horn tweeters are actually pretty laid back, and not in...
  13. ebcdic

Ok, who beat me to em?? Fess up!

A pair of JBL L112 showed up on the local Phoenix Craigs list yesterday for $200. Original boxes, needing refoam. I emailed the guy about a hour after listing went up and never received a response. Add disappeared. Assumed someone got there quicker. This add showed up, and sold on Ebay the same...
  14. ebcdic

Klipsch Forte I's Ruined My Hobby

I love a good plan. I am still enjoying these greatly. I actually am starting to get curious about the latest incarnations. How does the new heritage series compare to those of the past? Is the build quality and sound to the same high standard?
  15. ebcdic

Klipsch Forte I's Ruined My Hobby

I love collecting vintage speakers. Current stable includes Klipsch Heresy I, KLH 5, KLH 6, Advent A25, Advent 5002, Yamaha NS-690, DCM 500, and DCM CX27. I loved each in their own way. Well I picked up a pair of Klipsch Fortes for a silly price locally. Cabs not perfect. I replaced the...
  16. ebcdic

Restuff the vintage capacitor cans or...??

Restuffing cans is actually pretty easy. I did so on a Scott 233 and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Get a nice steel file and remove bottom lip by slowly working your way around. Insides pull out and you may have to remove some glue. Remove old components, solder new (liberal use of Heat...
  17. ebcdic

Need input from experts...3 amps one set of speakers...my solution

I use two of these mounted on my wall in plastic boxes. Wire the plates directly to my amps/receivers (4 of them to be exact). End of Speaker runs have banana plugs so I simply move to the appropriate spot for each component. Also makes supporting multiple speaker sets easy. Simple and cheap...
  18. ebcdic

NS 690ii vs

I think that is a good price though you can use the refoam as a bargaining chip if they are trashed. I paid 250 for mine locally and though they did not need a refoam the cabs needed some attention. After hearing them I thought 250 was a bargain. If you do pick them up please report back you're...
  19. ebcdic

NS 690ii vs

Awesome sounding speakers. Some actually prefer them to the NS 1000s as they are a bit less bright. I have NS 690I's and love them.
  20. ebcdic

Best podcasts for us nerds

the occasional podcast https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-occasional-podcast/id1332323668?mt=2 Usually some good interviews with industry people...
  21. ebcdic

Advent 5002 help

All is well, no rub.. Man do these Advents throw out some bass. And silky highs. Thanks for help!
  22. ebcdic

Advent 5002 help

Yeah pushing down on the cone I didn't see much in the way of distortion. That outer ring also does seem to move much. I also tryed to use a pin to push it out to no avail. It is hard to see but on the inside of that outer ring there is actually a small crease. I shimmed it and put the new foam...
  23. ebcdic

Advent 5002 help

Another pic.
  24. ebcdic

Advent 5002 help

Hello. Refroaming a pair of Advent 5002 and found a not awesome issue. Suspension has a dent. Any way to repair this or is the speaker shot?
  25. ebcdic

Harman Kardon 330B Amplifier/Receiver - Is it safe for my KLH Model Sixes??

I run my 6s with a Dynaco SCA-35, under 20 watts per channel. Never had an issue, and they sound great. Also sound great with my NAD 3020, another low wattage amp. Not sure of the efficiency but they seem to pair great with lower wattage stuff.
Back
Top Bottom