Search results

1. middleWave

Harman Kardon HK990 cutting out...

only one set of speakers - the LS60s. plenty of ventilation, including throwing a fan directly at it after the first shutdown. not sure how the amp could be stressed, seems like it's power output is up for the task of the LS60s. i don't suppose the 6 ohm speaker impedance presents any problem...
  2. middleWave

Harman Kardon HK990 cutting out...

So I have a pair of JBL LS60s and the HK990 amp, which after being gifted 3 years ago, have FINALLY plugged in and put to use (long story). Anyways, I'm located in Taiwan where the voltage is 110v, but the amp is 220v, so I bought a 600W transformer. I ran the rig successfully for one gig...
  3. middleWave

unstable/wobbly Technics speed...

so i just got my old Technics back which have been in storage for 2 years, and all of a sudden, BOTH motors are unstable. they are quite old but were always fine before. even threw itself into reverse all of a sudden. records sound awful, unplayable. here's a video for reference for the...
  4. middleWave

is it worth trying to build my own folded horns/scoop bins?

Thx to everyone for chiming in! I will keep an eye out for decent 2nd hand gear but also in the meantime continue my research on cabinet design. I'd surely be hiring a woodworker to cut the pieces but doing the construction myself most likely. For reference, here's another sound-system built...
  5. middleWave

I feel like anything available here in Taiwan is twice the price I would pay in the states on the 2nd hand market, in terms of old soundsystem gear.
  6. middleWave

bit of background: i did parties for about 10 years and soon getting back in the game. average crowd was about 50-100 and that should remain the same. some larger events here and there. i typically ran 2x double 18"s and 2x 15" tops + 12" monitors, roughly 3,000W total. both indoor and outdoor...
  7. middleWave

Technics SL-D2 vs SL-Q303?

good advice. here's the card that came with the deck. any idea what it is, and if it's conical or not? can't find any markings on it, but seems to look like a Teac STL-122?
  8. middleWave

well it's more of a switch than a simple button. i do a lot of starting, stopping, rewinding... as i'm primarily sampling the records. for general playback it's fine but a bit clumsy for my purpose. otherwise quite happy with the deck and the belt is in great condition. still might trade it in...
  9. middleWave

both decks have already been sold. so i picked up a nice refurbed SL-220 at the local record store for $55 today. a few things that i don't like are 1. the start/stop button (it's not a button - and awkward to push) and 2. the pitch control (how can you tell it's at Zero?) otherwise seems like...
  10. middleWave

is the vinyl industry a racket?

:p btw i'm not a troll. hopelessly addicted since 2001.
  11. middleWave

these two decks are coming up on craigslist within my budget. the D2 is $80 and the 303 is $50. which would you go for? note: i'll be using it primarily for sampling records, run through my parent's old Onkyo TX300. it's just a temporary deck until i return home to taiwan where i have a pair...
  12. middleWave

just how bad exactly is my system?

my monitors are active, so i don't really need an amp. i guess i could just line out directly from the turntable into the speakers (as they have an extra set of inputs (XLR and TRS), however i would rather avoid plugging cables in and out all the time.
  13. middleWave

also it's funny the general positive response that i am getting here. i was absolutely blasted in another forum, lol. while my system does work relatively well for me, the jist of the question is aimed at the vinyl listening experience, and i'm wondering how i can best improve that on a budget.
  14. middleWave

that's what i was thinking. probably going with an SL-1200 once i can find a reliable one in good shape since i do a fair bit of DJing. however are there any audiophile" turntables + preamps you would recommend for under $500 total?
  15. middleWave

i've been collecting records since i was a teenager, but only recently taking it seriously/taking good care of them, etc. i have a decent little home setup that works for my listening and production needs, but now that i am wading deeper, i see there is an endless array of high end equipment to...
Back
Top Bottom