Search results

1. T

Is it silver or tinned?

Does anyone know of a DIY test to determine if a copper wire is silver plated or simply tinned. I'm in the market for silver plated wire, but I think it would be pretty easy to be snookered by some unscrupulous dealers. Maybe some inexpensive chemical test? TIA Bob
  2. T

Anyone use a Roaster Oven for turkey?

The wife just bought a 22 qt. Hamilton Beach roaster oven for our Thanksgiving bird. We've always just used the regular oven, but she says this will free it up for other things needing baking. The instructions say the bird won't brown and suggests a browning sauce. The thought of a pale...
  3. T

Broken Dynavector 10x2

A while back I acquired an Onkyo CP 1280F turntable mounted with a Dynavector 10x2 cartridge. However, it appears the suspension is collapsed as the cantilever just wiggles in all directions. What I would like to know is whether or not this cart is worth doing anything with. A rebuild by...
  4. T

Question on Goodmans crossovers...

I finally broke down and recapped one of the Goodmans Magisters yesterday. These are 15 in. 3-ways. It has 2 5uF and a single 10uF metal can caps (electrolytic?) that were dated '70 to '72. Old, yes? I replaced them with Daytons. In addition there are 3 air coils of undetermined value. But I...
  5. T

Cuil-The great new search engine.

I see on Drudge Report where there's this new threat to Google named Ciul. I checked it out just for grins. I entered "pioneer sx-1250" and what do I get? "We show no matches for your inquiry." Google gives 12,400 hits. Not much of a threat, I'd say.
  6. T

CT-F700 trouble

Gentlemen, I,ve just received a CT-F700 from That Auction Place that's condition is somewhat less than described. (Big suprise!) I know several of yous guys have this model. When I first tested it, Play and FF worked OK, but Rewind would shut off after 5 seconds or so. The next day, all...
  7. T

SE-50 esoterica

While searching for a pair of Pioneer headphones, I've noticed that the SE-50s come in 2 flavors. The type on the headband is either 5 lines or 6 lines. I would suppose that the 6 line version is of an earlier vintage. It's probably cheaper to print the 5 line. I know this question is WAY out...
  8. T

My Pioneers are too loud

Is there an easy way to reduce the SPL of my CS99a's? I have 3 sets of speakers on my main system and I like to A/B them or run 4 at a time stacked. The problem is that the Pioneers are so much louder than the other 2 sets. When I stack them, the Pioneers tend to overpower the Infinities or the...
  9. T

Pics of Goodmans Magisters

I posted a query about these a while back and got no response, so here's a few pics of them. They're 15" 3-ways and in very good condition. Real veneer cabinets measure 27 x 20 x 15 ins. and weigh about 70 lbs apiece! The interior is stuffed solid with 3 pieces of heavy foam rubber. All...
  10. T

I just scored these...

...on the Bay. Local, so no shipping. Seems like a decent price. I've found very little on the web about them, but what little there was seemed to indicate they are of fairly good quality. Does anyone have experience with this line...
  11. T

I might score a Pioneer PL-550-need help

The seller wants $75. It's local so no shipping. Table looks almost mint, but the cartridge and stylus is unknown at this time. I have a AT440 on my PL-12D, but it seems the compliance is too high. Would this cartridge work any better on the PL-550? I don't know how similar the arms are. From...
  12. T

Computer sub and satellites

I want to make my own sub and satellite system to run off my soundcard. The Infinity and JBL powered subs I'm looking at have RCA line-in and a block for speaker-level in and out. I thought I could go from the soundcard to the line-in and run 2 5" bookshelf speakers from the speaker-out block...
  13. T

Old Stanton tt

I just scored a tt on the Bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5720239422&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT I have never seen one like it before. Did a Google and basically came up empty. As the description says, it does look to be built similar to a Thorens or AR. What...
  14. T

mp3 on the computer

I spend a lot of time listening to my mp3s on the computer. For players, I've tried MusicMatch, Windows Media Player, Real Jukebox and dBpowerAMP. To me, they all sound about the same. Has anyone found a player that you think stands out as far as quality of sound? That is, all things being...
  15. T

Jimi Hendrix in MONO!

HOLY CRAP! I'm just going trrough some old vinyl of my wife's and I find Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced" in MONO! I feel violated! The record is in very good shape but somehow mono just doesn't seem right. Maybe she was too cheap to pop for the extra buck back in "69 or whatever to get the...
  16. T

Now that's LOUD!

I caught the movie "The Italian Job" on cable over the weekend. Seth green's character describes a stereo system he's going to buy with his share of the loot. "...and speakers so loud they'll blow the clothes off a woman." Man, I'd like to know what those are. He rattles off the...
  17. T

One stinkin' receiver!

Well, you guys did it now. You made me snag a SX-1010 off the Bay. Maybe she ain't the prettiest thing around but she's my first Pioneer (hard to believe, isn't it?) Anyway, here's the problem. When I got it home last night, I powered it up for a half hour or so to check DC offsets (1.4 and...
  18. T

Pioneer CS-99a's lack highs

OK...my first post. I've been lurking around these forums for quite a while trying to learn. A while back, there was a lively discussion here about the quality (or lack thereof) of the bass on the CS-99a's. I just got a pair and I find the bass to be quite sufficient. HOWEVER, they're really...
Back
Top Bottom