Search results

1. timmy.timmy

TT came with two mats?

Well FWIW I use a multi-layer 'lasagna' of mats on my heavily DIY'ed tweaked Thorens turntable serving different purposes. While my also heavily DIY'ed tweaked SME is VTA (and SRA) adjustable so the 'lasagna' is not aiming to compensate such VTA adjustments. To correct such VTA issues if the...
  2. timmy.timmy

Headshells for SME 3009 (mki I believe)

OK. I did some of that on my SME3009 'Improved' SII (originally with fixed headshell as a first DIY tweak conversion on a tight budget into a heavier effective mass tonearm to meet my beloved Denon DL-102 cartridge low compliance (although no manufacturer's compliance specifications given) by...
  3. timmy.timmy

Yes indeed. That is not good customer's advice IMO. But maybe you could fall for a lower compliant cartridge one day that will benefit from such a heavy headshell... But as 'Blue Shadow' told you swapping of cartridges pre-fitted on headshells for a swift operation is likely not as simple as you...
  4. timmy.timmy

Don't be so tight on specifications. There are references figure that can be challenged some sometimes even to unexpected results of the better kinds or not too. That's true. Bare then in mind of these as "ballpark" figures for theorical match in possibilities or not. Here the Audiposilente...
  5. timmy.timmy

DOH. My bad. You're right. So even better if one wishes to 'comply' to Ortofon's advertised recommended (not that that means it's the best 'match' in real but commercially at least and likely not far from the theoretical 'match') combination. Sorry Y'all and thanks 'Blue Shadow' for correcting...
  6. timmy.timmy

Can't open your photos but OK I take 'bkthekibng' word on it. So it's an SME3009 SII (not S2 as the S2 is the specific written distingo name for the 'Improved' with fixed headshell). Yours is considered of 'medium effective mass' (toward medium although it can easily accommodate extra effective...
  7. timmy.timmy

Thorens TD150 MKI 45 RPM Arm

Congratulations. You're a pass. And you're now a member of the unofficial Thorens fixer congregation battalion ! Our mission 'save all the Thorens in the Universe and beyond'. With great powers come great responsibility !
  8. timmy.timmy

; Can't say for some of those models if they are compatible or not. Mind you cheap belts are sadly lasting less longer. Old OEM Thorens were apparently lasting much longer than newly made ones... at least that's what I read online. Rubber life span in its optimal initial state is by definition...
  9. timmy.timmy

Platter to top plate gap is OK. Generally 5 to 6 mm is the norm. You're close enough there. Don't fuss over that at this stage. The belt arm lever is loose where it should be solidly fixed to the chassis. Begin to fix that before anything else. Then test.
  10. timmy.timmy

What for belt is it ? An OEM Thorens or else ? Have you tried giving it a quick boiling water off the fire bath then left out to dry and cool down ? I will check that tomorrow if I can.
  11. timmy.timmy

Tonearm identification plase

Jelco SA 250 ST ! I got fooled ;-p
  12. timmy.timmy

Tonearm identification plase

Does not look like an SME at all ! Like the turntable onto which it is pre-mounted so probably a '"generic" cheap branded brand.
  13. timmy.timmy

So why do like a conical needles?

Nope that was some 5 years ago or more so that's out of league by now. And through the signal out of the speakers I only got the 'tired' stylus typical playback rendition. In order to actually hear that I had to lean over the headshell while the 7" record was playing then I could hear the faint...
  14. timmy.timmy

Thorens TD150, 16x, 14x MKI, MKII and MKIII are all the same originally for their respective belts if ever. Anyone telling otherwise is pushing too far or trying to sell you another belt that is the same. I never had to struggle with the motor adjustment myself on other's Thorens TD's. At times...
  15. timmy.timmy

Lifting the suspension lifts both evenly the tonearm and the platter but if you have enough bounce and the 6mm gap is there with everything leveled there keep is at it is. In your position I would bend down some the top of the 'belt arm lift' FWIW. Have you done the visual test with the...
  16. timmy.timmy

Everything the same in comparison here will be a problem I guess since it's not the same at all anymore ! The classic case of the "musical critics" bad reviews on this original 1972 stereo "'transcription cartridge" that aimed to be fitted originally on 'transcription tonearms' (this is the...
  17. timmy.timmy

To the risk of not being able to really add much jumping this late on this thread I can vouch that I need my large conical nude tip (my preference over bonded) to play my beloved collection or rare (not all are but they're 'rare' like they're not your 'pop' hit stuffs and sometimes small acts...
  18. timmy.timmy

SME 3009 vs MA-505 (micro seiki)

Totally understand your point there. It is 'finicky' some and like every gear out there it can be way 'over rated'. Killing all anticipated expectations of the deceived owner. Still love mine. although to overcome ones prejudices with its knife edge bearing design and build that which I believe...
  19. timmy.timmy

SME 3009 vs MA-505 (micro seiki)

FWIW I don't know the MA-505 but it should be good although very different to the SME3009 SII pre-Improved in between a same cartridge and turntable. Apparently this Micro Seiki tonearm is supposed to perform at its best with high compliant cartridges where the SME3009 SII is intended for medium...
  20. timmy.timmy

Thorens 160?

A straight tonearm swap is the "easy" route (if the replacement one is not faulty) only requiring few soldering points BUT in these day and age they come to a cost...
  21. timmy.timmy

Thorens 160?

Yep and the original Thorens TP60 headshells are angled to allow a proper enough alignement on these straight tonearms. Here someone did a rather messy McGuyver tweak fix mess swapping the original headshell 4 pins connector to a 'generic' one and bending rather poorly to straight arm tube/wand...
  22. timmy.timmy

which table best for an MC cartridge?

I couldn't agree more with that fact. Am too humble to say it was that simple. But in order to asses the OP quest that logically drifted from turntable drive and MC cart preference to tonearm 'resonance' and cartridge compliance matching and help him or herif ever there would you care to...
  23. timmy.timmy

Sorry but I can't write in German. Still I will try to explain in simple terms the not so difficult principle that classify in three categories both the tonearms in regard of their effective mass and the cartridges according to their suspension compliance. Those can be measured and nominally...
  24. timmy.timmy

I never said it is. My words are what they are seem - hint...
  25. timmy.timmy

But your Grace is going only up to 1.5g for VTF or slightly higher if ever... The Duals up to 4g and up if ever indicating VTF for lower compliant cartridges... It's the combination of the two factors that gives a hint as to what cartridges it aims to be accommodated with and only that ...
Back
Top Bottom