Search results

1. Jim H B

Sony STR-za2000es

I just picked up a used Sony str-za2000es - was 3rd from TOTL in the Sony line-up in 2016. 100 wpc. Wow, I'm really impressed, sounds fantastic. Neutral, punchy and detailed, with deep soundstage. Each instrument is distinct and in its place in the soundstage. Plenty of power. I'm using it...
  2. Jim H B

Denon AVR-x1100w weak subwoofer output on some inputs

A few days ago, I bought a Denon AVR-x1100w, and a KEF Kube 1 subwoofer used off Craigslist. I first hooked up the Denon without the sub. It sounded great. Let me clarify that I only use it for 2 channel listening. A couple of days later, I hooked up the subwoofer. It was on, but output...
  3. Jim H B

Problem with subwoofer

My subwoofer producing a hum during use: If I just plug it in and turn it on (with nothing hooked into it) - no hum If I attach speaker wire from the receiver to the high level input (but not hook up wire from the high level output to my speakers) - no hum If I then attach the wires that run...
  4. Jim H B

IMF RSPM MK IV SPEAKERS - new to me

I'm always surprised when I see an audio brand I've never heard of before. Saw these on Ann Arbor Craigslist - IMF? New to me! From the listing: IMF REFERENCE STANDARD PROFESSIONAL MONITOR MK.IV IMPROVED SPEAKERS WITH ORIGINAL BLACK METAL STANDS.
  5. Jim H B

Can you identify these speakers? - tweeter on bottom

I came across this on the Detroit area craigslist. I don't recognize these, and the seller doesn't provide any information. Lowest I've ever seen a tweeter on a floorstander. You can see the logo, but I don't recognize that either.
  6. Jim H B

Thiel 04a speakers -$225 bad woofer?

These Thiel 04a's just came up on the Toledo OH Craigslist. I'm intrigued, but wonder about the woofer pictured. The listing says "needs to be repaired". I'm not clear if they tried it and it didn't work, or just visually they think it wouldn't work. I know the dustcap dent isn't a problem...
  7. Jim H B

Wow, nice collection

I was doing my usual Sunday perusal of Craigslist, Facebook marketplace etc looking for cool gear for sale, and came across the attached. Wow, nice collection. Guy indicated he was open to reasonable offers on anything. Don't know my point in posting this, just thought it was cool. Great...
  8. Jim H B

Question on subwoofers

Hi, I'm still fairly new to subwoofers, but do find that they can fill out the sound of my 2 channel audio setups nicely. With the typical powered subwoofer, there are two inputs - a set of one or two rca inputs (LFE or line level), and inputs using speaker wire. I usually use old school two...
  9. Jim H B

I finally get speaker placement

I've been interesting in hi-fi gear since high school, approx 50 years ago, and have owned a variety of pretty good gear (h/k, NAD, Pioneer, etc). But for all the time I've spent on other aspects of my systems, I've never really appreciated speaker placement. I never thought it was that...
  10. Jim H B

Looking for tech in SE Michigan

I have some vintage H/K and JVC receivers that could use minor repairs and recapping, alignment, etc. I know what great work Echowars and Terry Dewick do, but I'm leary of shipping. My first preference is to us AK members. I'm in Ann Arbor, but can travel to western suburbs, Livonia, etc...
  11. Jim H B

Can I use car interconnects at home?

Hi guys, I was looking for some new interconnects for my home stereo (RCA, 5m), and came across some high-end car interconnects, at a really good price. They sure physically look just like regular interconnects. Any problem using them for my home stereo? Jim
  12. Jim H B

Need help hooking to a IEC/DIN 45325 connector

I had posted this in the Tuner thread, but didn't get a response, so I thought I would try it here: I just purchased a pretty new JVC rx-d201s "all digital" receiver. Nice unit, but the FM antenna hook up uses a IEC/DIN 45325 (75ohm) connector. I'll be darned if I can find a connector that...
  13. Jim H B

Need help hooking to a IEC/DIN 45325 connector

I just purchased a pretty new JVC rx-d201s digital receiver. Nice unit, but the FM antenna hook up uses a IEC/DIN 45325 (75ohm) connector. I'll be darned if I can find a connector that will let me hook my F connector coax antenna to the IEC/DIN 45325 connector. Does such a beast exist...
  14. Jim H B

Is this all I need to make my own power cord?

Hi guys - I'm not technically inclined at all, but wanted to build my own power cord. Is this all I need?: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=119-050 http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=110-400 Would it require any soldering, or just...
  15. Jim H B

Issue on Phillips 212

Recently picked up a Phillips 212; beautiful table. But it has an issue, having to do with the 3 touch sensitive buttons (45 / stop / 33). If I touch 33, or 45, as long as I am touching the button, the platter spins. As soon as I take my finger off, platter starts slowing down. Touch the...
  16. Jim H B

Need advice on hooking up dvd to digital reciever

Like many of us, I'm an old school 2 channel guy who is finally taking the digital plunge - sort of. I have an Oppo "universal" DVD player that I have been using since Christmas in my current two channel analog set-up (H/K 825 preamp and H/K 770 amp). I have the Oppo set to mix-down to...
  17. Jim H B

Keep me from temptation - HK tuner

Just what I need is another tuner, but.... This one looks like a good deal to me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200095904281&rd=1&rd=1 I'm willing to wait awhile if someone really likes this and wants to purchase it, but if...
  18. Jim H B

Does anyone need pick up at Metro?

I live in Ann Arbor, so will be going past Detroit Metro on the way to the Fest on Saturday morning. I'll have room for three passengers. Let me know what time you'll be arriving, and we can try to work something out. Email is best, I don't always check pm's. Jim
  19. Jim H B

Big drop in reception quality

In my family room set-up, I'm using a standard issue dipole antenna. I'd adjusted the positioning over the years, and every receiver I've had there has gotten good reception. I just scored the first receiver that doesn't have the standard 300 dipole connection screws, just a 75ohm connection...
  20. Jim H B

How to fix stripped screw head

I just scored a pretty beat up H/K 430 (to go with my 630, 730, and three 330c's) receiver from the thrift, and went to take the case off. 5 screws came off without much fuss, but I ended up stripping the head on one phillips screw. How do I go about getting that screw out? The head is...
  21. Jim H B

A couple of good items for cleaning

I've recently come across a couple of things that have worked pretty well for me in cleaning some vintage receivers. One is a "magic duster" brush I picked up in the grocery store. Long, really soft nylon bristles. You roll the handle between your hands, which builds up static in the bristles...
  22. Jim H B

Need help with JVC receiver

Hi Guys I picked up a JVC JR-S501 receiver on the cheap. Not surprisingly, it has one small issue: no sound. Everything seems to work. All lights work; on both FM and AM the signal strength meter moves as I go up and down the dial. Both relays (one near the transformer, one on the board...
  23. Jim H B

Read what a real expert in audio says...

I was searching the net for information on the JVC JR-S501 receiver, and came across this on About.com: Topic: TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Expert: cleggsan Date: 10/25/2004 Subject: JVC receiver...
  24. Jim H B

Problem with my HK730

Just last night, I started having a problem with my HK730 receiver. I went to change radio stations, and so I start turning the knob, and it goes silent. So I turn back to where I know I've got a strong station, and still silence. I turn the function knob to AM, get sound, back to FM, sound...
  25. Jim H B

H/K vintage receiver I've never seen before

I came across this on Ebay. I'm familiar with the 230, 330a/b/c, 430, 630, 730 and 930, but have never seen the One Thirty: http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-One-Thirty-130-Am-Fm-Stereo-Receiver_W0QQitemZ9710027911QQcategoryZ50596QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Learn something new everyday! Jim
Back
Top Bottom