Search results

1. BrocLuno

6.5 and 7.7 Arisaka reloading recipies ...

Will be getting started reloading the 6.5x50 and the 7.7x58. And later 06 and 303, etc. A friend of mine gave me a loading press in pieces and pretty well stuck. It was her Dad's and he lived in Santa Barbara (near the sea) so it was pretty rusted from salt air. But, some oil and work and...
  2. BrocLuno

New Hot-Rod (boat) maybe ...

See boat here: http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?322109-OK-maybe-a-new-Hot-Rod&highlight=marlin Will be building as pretty much a pure "Guy Boat"... Thinking about helmsman and throttle-man, so controls in center console, tach on center-line, tilt/trim switch on center-line, etc. Any...
  3. BrocLuno

When did you convert'ish to Jazz ...

I've been listening to Jazz for a while now, more so that other genre's. I'm over a 1/2 century old now and I find that what interested me as a youth is sort of boring in comparison... I'm listening to Kamasi Washington now as I write this. I think it started with Kieth Jarrett, and Mark...
  4. BrocLuno

What's your favorite outboard, and why ...

I have a few of the little basties. And a new to me 70HP Jonsarunde that I'm getting sorted for my Resto-Mod 1961 Glasspar runabout :D What's yours and why?
  5. BrocLuno

Anyone running a Tohatsu 115 TLDI

Really thinking about pulling the Honda BF50 off my runabout (1961 Glasspar Citation) and going back to 2-stroke, but with the modern twist... Want to cruise at same speed (25 kts), but at 1/2 throttle for less drama and noise while having more in reserve :D
  6. BrocLuno

Anyone shoot a Hatsan AT44S 10 QE ...

Just ordered one while my QB78 is down awaiting seals ... Wonder what your experiences have been ...
  7. BrocLuno

No more VR-1 in California ...

There are threads in some of the hot-rod and classic car forums about this... Here's the discussion of the source of the "ban" over at BITOG: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4026951/California_bans_sale_of_obsole#Post4026951 So now the search is on for a suitable...
  8. BrocLuno

Looking for a Jeep DJ-5 (Mail Jeep) RH Drive, 1974 or earlier ...

BIL and I want a 1974 or earlier DJ-5 or DJ-6 (longer model) with a descent body (no roll-overs) mostly there. Running would be nice, but we'll be swapping motor anyway. Going to build a Bikini Top cruiser for my Sister who always wanted a convertible :D If you know of one in the central...
  9. BrocLuno

OK, where is it ...

Grado Labs used to have a cartridge history cross-reference table in their customer support section. You could look up older body by designator or front marking and see which styli fit that model. But they have redesigned their web site and it looks like it's no longer readily available...
  10. BrocLuno

What have I learned in 50 odd years in this hobby ...

So I started out as teenager building my own speakers (some good, some very bad). I grew up on tubes, saw the transition to solid state, to IC's, to better filters, etc. I worked for GRT/Chess Janus Records for a few years. I build electric guitars for another part of this hobby. I was an...
  11. BrocLuno

DVD Player that will play data dvd's ...

I have an all Silver all Sony audio stack to my TV (5.1) and it sounds great (especially in 2-Ch mode...). I picked up a Dennon DVD Player that will play MP3's on a DVD+R. But none of my Sony's will do it. They play CDR's great, and the built-in Burr-Brown DAC's are quite nice. Does...
  12. BrocLuno

Need IR repeater advice...

Have Sony 5.1 AV receiver (STR DE985) and complementary Sony audio pieces along with Sony DVD player that will be moving from a "temp" rack in the bedroom to a cabinet in the stair well to power the living room AV system. Although this is an AV system, it sounds good on 2-channel and it's all...
  13. BrocLuno

Need IR repeater advice...

Have Sony 5.1 AV receiver (STR DE985) and complementary Sony audio pieces along with Sony DVD player that will be moving from a "temp" rack in the bedroom to a cabinet in the stair well to power the living room AV system. The cable tuner and the TV will still have direct IR access from the...
  14. BrocLuno

OK, it's availble if you PM me ...

A year or so ago, a bunch of us started testing low-end phono stages. TCC-750, ART DJ Pre, etc. We did some blind testing using clips from records and each stage into the audio chain on our various set-ups. We'd then rank for sound, clarity, detail, etc. The results were somewhat uniform and...
  15. BrocLuno

OK, need ideas on 454

Me and my partner in crime, just bought a 1970 Buick GS roller (drag car). It's shaved and modded enough that it's not worth restoring and we want to go racing :D So, I have a stripped out A body, a soon to be spare 454 two-bolt with a rattle coming out of my 1970 Chevy C-20. Car comes with...
  16. BrocLuno

Some comparisons: ART, TCC, V-LPS, Phonomena

ART DJ Pre II – this is the baseline unit. I got one a while back when my ART Phono Plus developed an intermittent signal loss. That phono stage was a temp replacement for my Pioneer SA-8800 with fully adjustable loading (rebuilt by Fred Longworth with special attention to the phono section)...
  17. BrocLuno

What's a Stanton 980 ...

Just bought a used headshell and it came with a Stanton 980 cartridge. Never heard much about this one. What is it? Sounds pretty good on Country (Hank Williams) :D Seems to work just fine with the little ART DJ Pre :)
  18. BrocLuno

New favs ...

I been using ear buds to give me some privacy and help kill the noises around the yard when I'm working (leaf blowing, etc.). I used to run Panasonic Ergo Fit HJE270's and I really thought they were great. So much so, that my Koss, Sennheiser's, Skull Candy's, etc. - were sitting idly by. A...
  19. BrocLuno

Hats off to Muddywaters ...

What started as a basic A-B between the DB8 and the ART DJ Pre sort of grew into a pretty comprehensive budget phono stage shootout. The thread is here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=522082&page=15 The eval clips start at Post 213. The stuff before that was us trying to...
  20. BrocLuno

The ideal Phono Stage control layout ...

Arcorob dropped a link to a dealer that has these and now I know what I really, really want in phono stage as far as up front control layout and capability. Since I spin some 78's the different curves are great. And occasionally, they can make a weak" modern RIAA LP sound better. There is...
  21. BrocLuno

Are there any Korean made TT's ??

Seeing as how the Koreans have done very well in ship building, autos, home theater, etc. I'm wondering why I have not seen any Korean made turntables. Seems there is a high end asian market and at least a middle upper market in the US. Wondering if the situation is ripe for say Samsung or LG...
  22. BrocLuno

My initial take on Muse MiniTDA1543x4

is here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=521787. I think you folks might be interested, but in case the larger audience wanted a take on Sony DVP NS975V on-board DAC vs Mini Muse NOS DAC - there it is :scratch2:
  23. BrocLuno

Sony DVP-NS975V must be ...

... pretty good as far as the on-board DAC. It's based on a Burr/Brown chip set and is oversampling. I have three of these things in one form or another. Elsewhere (outside my audio bench) they are used for DVD playback and occasional music. Here it's almost always just music. Straight...
  24. BrocLuno

Eye candy ...

Over at an aquaitences house picking up a used Nakamichi last week and we were standing in his family room/studio. Being an old tape head from back in the day, I asked what was under the cover. He said he was working on a mix for his son's band. Pulled the cover off and :D
  25. BrocLuno

Cab braces ...

We often recommend bracing cabinets from front to back just above the woofer cut-out to minimize the front baffle "pumping" and cancelling a portion of the bass notes. It's a regular practice of mine if I'm into a speaker doing some work. I was just refoaming some Boston Acoustics A70...
Back
Top Bottom