Search results

1. heavymod

Cool running AVR?

My Denon AVR is just plain hot. Even when it's not being used, it puts off enough heat that my wife uses it to sprout tomato seedlings. What is a simple alternative? I need the basic preamp abilities to switch between HDMI channels, but we don't have cable or satellite or anything fancy. I do...
  2. heavymod

Is there an inexpensive power supply I can use with my tube preamp? Paragon System E

Thank you, I'll send an email. What kind of documentation are you referring to?
  3. heavymod

Is there an inexpensive power supply I can use with my tube preamp? Paragon System E

No it did not Does this mean a lower voltage transformer is an option. I have a 800VA transformer from a spot welder, but that is much too high right? Do you use resistors to tweak the voltage requirement to the preamp? Thanks. I'm not sure. I did always want to, and would appreciate any...
  4. heavymod

Ok, I get that now :) Not the answer what I was hoping for, but one I can deal with. Thank you. Thank you. I appreciate this explanation, but this is above my head technically. I wasn't aware that every transformer was going to be different, I thought htey were This was my original plan...
  5. heavymod

I have a Paragon System-E that has been sitting on my to-do list for years. It lacks a PS, and I was going to try and build one, or wait for one to show up on auction, or who knows. I'm just tired of waiting. Although I have some basic electronic and soldering skills, I really don't know...
  6. heavymod

Pioneer 1020 Recording problem: Low volume, dropouts, 1 channel dead

Thanks for these instructions and your comments below. For some reason I don't get AK email alerts when people post in my threads, or email me. I've never been able to sort out why. It hadn't even occurred to me that the line level out on the scarlett might be an issue, or to have to match it to...
  7. heavymod

Thank you! I'm fairly confident I have the tape on the correct way. I definitely record from source on left reel / take up on right reel. In this case the shiny side is towards the heads. Frankly I wouldn't know how to even reverse this so the wrong side of the tape faces the heads. I'd have to...
  8. heavymod

will do, I have the DeOxit 100. I found that I have an issue with the preamp on the right channel that is intermittent. So I'm going to focus on that I think it's just a bad solder joint, since pressing on the balance dial fixes it. Then I'll run other tape through and confirm it plays properly...
  9. heavymod

Thanks, the deck has not been serviced, so definitely lots that could be going on with it. That is interesting about the dirty pots. I will clean the tape path. Regarding the pancake, sorry for the confusion. I took the plastic pancake, affixed metal sides to it and recorded on it. My stumbling...
  10. heavymod

I have little to no recording experience on R2R. I would love any insight into my process, and the problems I am experiencing. I am recording from my computer, playing a FLAC with WinAmp, Focusrite Scarlett sound card, directly into the Pioneer 1020. Volume is maxed on windows and the Scarlett...
  11. heavymod

What is "countdown" tape for R2R?

Just some blank looking tape on 3 inch reels. It's not like leader tape or anything, where the marks would indicate time. I guess I could try transfering it to a 7 inch reel. never done that before.
  12. heavymod

What is "countdown" tape for R2R?

I have some r2r tape that I found, and two boxes are hand marked "countdown". They are on 3 inch reels which I cannot play. Is this a thing? It is just shorthand for "blank tape"? Does it have an audio or other type of countdown on it?
  13. heavymod

KEF 105.4 Grill Build

Thanks!
  14. heavymod

KEF 105.4 Grill Build

Ok, so a few days have gone by. Of my many projects, I think these covers are my favorite. They weren't amazing, but I'm happy with how they look, and I feel a bit of pleasure every time I look at them. They deserve a better photo, perhaps I'll get around to that. But if not, here are some fast...
  15. heavymod

Intro to Troubleshooting suggestions / videos / tutorials

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. Yes, this is what I have been doing, and I still find myself stuck. Many of the basic concepts of circuits and electronics escape me, so hopefully I can find more of a flowchart for troubleshooting somewhere. It is frustrating because I can usually...
  16. heavymod

Intro to Troubleshooting suggestions / videos / tutorials

Is there a sticky or other thread with troubleshooting steps for amps and pre-amps? I appreciate all the specific help I get on this forum, but would like to learn more about troubleshooting myself. Unfortunately, I seem stuck between two extremes: At one end it feels like "learn everything...
  17. heavymod

Zapped by my pre-amp! Right speaker intermittent, fixed by touching pre-amp!

Thanks, as soon as I get some free time I'll ... actually I have no idea what to do. I've asked this question before, but are there any good "how to" guides on going through an amp or pre-amp and troubleshooting using a multimeter? I'll ask in a separate thread, but if you have any suggestions...
  18. heavymod

Calibrate Pioneer CT-W505R

Thank you so much! this tape deck is my placeholder until I can my CT-F9191 fixed! So figured I'll learn on this one. My first recordings seriously sucked.
  19. heavymod

Calibrate Pioneer CT-W505R

Pioneer CT-W505R I've downloaded the owner and service manuals for my , but they don't mention calibration at all. I recorded some audio on the right deck, then played it back on the left. It sounded fast. Does that mean the recording deck is slow? The playback deck is fast? Is there an easy...
  20. heavymod

Zapped by my pre-amp! Right speaker intermittent, fixed by touching pre-amp!

My right speaker is working intermittently. I thought I had narrowed it down to the balance dial on my RGR pre-amp. I'd pushed it slightly to the left or right, and the speaker would work again for a while. However, I just got a static zap touching the pre-amp, and touching metal on my system...
  21. heavymod

Removing Old Mildew from Album Covers

This made me cringe. I know not everyone lives in the desert like I do, but I had a visceral reaction to reading that :)
  22. heavymod

New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

I torrented a ton of weird 80s stuff - like russian new wave bands, I want to get those onto tapes. It bugs me though - I don't want to even unwrap these, much less "waste" them. I was not expecting this type of problem lol.
  23. heavymod

New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

Estate sale. Paid about $120, there are about 40 Type II's in there, so I'm happy. There are also 2 Type IVs, and a bunch of not-shown type I's. I really love some of the memorex designs. I don't think I can bring myself to take those out of the wrappers. Also a very cool Digitech gold reel2reel...
  24. heavymod

Akai GX-4000D right channel is not recording

Is this an appropriate replacement part? I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was about to post something similar. I have an akai 4000DS MKII, and the right VU has been acting dodgy. It went from working well a few months ago, to not responding, and yesterday the right channel died. If I...
Back
Top Bottom