Search results

1. Natasha Bell

What is your favorite vintage and modern piece of gear that you own?

For me... My favorites are: Modern: Parasound P6 Halo preamp and Adcom GFA 565 mono-bloc amplifiers (have them as "modern" because they were both completely rebuilt with modern electronics) Vintage: Pioneer PD-59 CD player and a Tascam 103 tape deck. Both of these are FABULOUS!!! :) :)
  2. Natasha Bell

Revitalizing AK

Thank you!! :) :hug:
  3. Natasha Bell

Most Underrated Album from the Mid-1980s

I was recently listening to music from my birth year, 1984... Okay folks, I know, I'm old. Van Stephenson: Righteous Anger is such a phenomenal recording. Tons and tons of energy.. and like Van Helen's classic 1984, virtually every track is amazing. It has the "sound" which defined that era...
  4. Natasha Bell

Old timers who had good stereo systems in the late 50s/early 60s - how did they compare to today?

I so agree about some of the "quality" recordings. It, well I guess, is just how you define "quality". There is some really good stuff out there that sounds great on LP. I have an original, first pressing, of the Beatles Sgt. Peppers that used to belong to my father. Yet, I have a CD which...
  5. Natasha Bell

Old timers who had good stereo systems in the late 50s/early 60s - how did they compare to today?

There is no vintage (or, perhaps "antique" is a better term) 1950s or 60s system that is comparable with the performance of a modern system. This is especially true, if you compare the systems through the lens of "cost". They are "comparable" only when viewed through the lens of "nostalgia"...
  6. Natasha Bell

So true. To the question at hand, however: Modern equipment is virtually silent with superior electronics, offering superior audio reproduction. This reminds me of the old AK argument: Which is better the LP or the CD? The CD outperforms the LP in every measurable parameter by vast margins...
  7. Natasha Bell

"AM Stereo" - The Forgotten, but Perhaps Superior Medium

"AM-Stereo" has to be one of the least well known, but innovative mediums out there. I had heard about it years ago, but never gave it a second thought. "Who needs AM-Stereo", I said to myself, "when FM does all of that and better." Is FM really better? I think this is a valid question now...
  8. Natasha Bell

Revitalizing AK

The question may be the same (or similar), but the viewpoints are different. Also, why should folks have to sift through old answers (some many years, if not a decade or more) old? Good discussions, even if some get somewhat heated, are a lot of fun. :idea::hug:
  9. Natasha Bell

Revitalizing AK

So true, with your assessment of AK. It is all of that, and, this is very important, one of the nicest communities on the WWW (and certainly the nicest audio community). Anything I can do to help "revitalize" AK, I am more than willing. :hug:
  10. Natasha Bell

Nostalgia and pleasant memories (sometimes even unpleasant ones) are always seen through rosy glasses. o_O o_O :)
  11. Natasha Bell

Show Us Your Listening Chair

My listening chair is a well worn recliner... Don't want to scare folks here with a picture of it!! :oops: o_O:oops:
  12. Natasha Bell

Console Upgrade

Love it!! Love it!! :) :hug:
  13. Natasha Bell

Who inspired you?

Replying to a 14 year old tread!! :banana: Regardless, it was my uncle Pete. He is awesome! An electrical engineer by profession, with a love of tinkering. I owe him a lot, as he has been a steady guiding light in my life!! :)
  14. Natasha Bell

Looking for new integrated amp - advice/suggestions requested

Have you considered a brand new Yamaha A-S701 (exactly the same as the 801, except with a lower performance DAC)? You can get that for around $700 brand new. :)
  15. Natasha Bell

Carver madness, or; I just can't help myself

My dear Sargent Schultz, Would an excellent German Telefunken or AEG amplifier not be more suitable for your purposes... o_O :eek: :hug:
  16. Natasha Bell

Console Upgrade

Yes, that is an idea. That being said, however, it will be very difficult. I assume you are not planning to reuse the prehistoric speakers. Also one of the reasons modern speakers sound so good, other than the superb electronics in the crossovers and the material of the drivers, is that the...
  17. Natasha Bell

When it comes to quality amps, 1% is a lot of distortion. I wonder would it would be at 0.01% I don't think you would achieve those numbers.
  18. Natasha Bell

Console Upgrade

Keeping the console would be nice, but I would yank all the old stuff, and all the wiring. Perhaps you could use the area where the speakers are for some media storage. A set of quiet cooling fans might also be helpful for the enclosed electronics. Are you familiar with Rega turntables...
  19. Natasha Bell

Simple, but fairly elegant equipment rack

Thank you!! :) :hug: That is sweet of you. He is away on business until Wednesday, but I will definitely let him know.
  20. Natasha Bell

Simple, but fairly elegant equipment rack

I love that rack!!! My husband's hobby is woodworking. I am going to see if he can build something similar for me. He recently built me a rack where he built the butcher blocks himself. All was well for a little bit, but then the wood started warping. :( Perhaps this is the solution. I...
  21. Natasha Bell

Adcom Amps

I have the 565 mono-blocs. They are AMAZING!! I had mine rebuilt by Jon Morris out of Wyoming. He is an Adcom "Guru", in addition to being a really nice guy. I have been over joyed with them. They control the bass of my speakers with the death grip of an iron-fist, not to mention to having...
  22. Natasha Bell

Adcom gfp 555 POPS WHEN I TURN OFF

Thumbs way up on the 815!! That is an awesome preamp!! :biggrin:
  23. Natasha Bell

Adcom gfp 555 POPS WHEN I TURN OFF

Yes, I agree with @tarior The preamp needs to be the first thing turned on, and the last off. Also, as an owner of a GFA-555 myself, you also wait 20-30 seconds during the process. The 555 will bleed power for a good bit. Wait 5-10 seconds after the red power light in the front went off...
  24. Natasha Bell

I live in central Mississippi, in Vicksburg. The Summers are absolutely brutal here as well, not to mention humid. The only good news, is that at the other end of the power cords is a giant nuclear reactor not 30 miles away! :oops: :angel:
  25. Natasha Bell

Console Upgrade

I love these consoles, as I am a huge fan of the Mid-Century Modern style. Upgrading it, however, is a daunting and arduous proposition if you want to do it right - especially if you want it to sound right. It is not as easy as just replacing components. None of the things in the console are...
Back
Top Bottom