Search results

1. Mike Grant

New Cerwin Vega SL line

Thanks lbls1. You are not in Northern California by chance? I'd love to hear what you've put together and the new sub. I'm still having issues trying to decide. There are a lot of choices in my price range. My son and I hooked up an old Marantz receiver that I had laying around with some cheap...
  2. Mike Grant

New Cerwin Vega SL line

I used to be a professional musician and changed my major in college from music performance to business finance. Best decision I ever made. I truly believe that iTunes destroyed the music industry. People used to buy an entire album to hear one or two main songs. I bought albums as a work of...
  3. Mike Grant

New Cerwin Vega SL line

I'm with you for sure. I really appreciate good sound without feeling like I have my finger in my ear. Don't get me wrong there is a time and place that I use my earbuds but not when I really want to hear something special or something with power. I have an 18 yo son that mentioned that he...
  4. Mike Grant

New Cerwin Vega SL line

Thanks lbls1. I think you are the only person that has heard these. When I ask the Millennials that I work with, they look at me with a blank stare. I'm sure they would have more input if I asked about a new phone or a pair of ear buds. When I was growing up everyone knew about CVs since they...
  5. Mike Grant

New Cerwin Vega SL line

Thanks Skipper. I don't know if this is a cuss word among all you audiophiles but I'm thinking of going with Polk Audio RTi 9s for my mains. They will definitely fill up the two corners of the wall unit. They start with the port and speakers at the bottom of the cabinet so, when I put them up at...
  6. Mike Grant

New Cerwin Vega SL line

Thanks Putterman. I think I'll go with a 7.2 receiver instead of the 5.1 even though I only plan on having 6 speakers in the room. I didn't realize that 5.1 is old tech now. Good suggestion on the front ports. Can't decide if I like ports or sealed speakers. I don't like the "chuffing" sound...
  7. Mike Grant

Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

Have one that used to connect to the internet for streaming video. Now I use Chromecast.
  8. Mike Grant

New Cerwin Vega SL line

I'm currently replacing my 30 year old Fisher Preference 5.1 system in the family room and need some of your recommendations. The room is 25'x 20' with 9.5' ceilings with a maple bookshelf/entertainment center across the entire front. No way to put floor standing speakers in the front corners...
  9. Mike Grant

what to do with JBL 630's

These would be good for filling your yard with if you have an amazing Christmas light show. The more sound the better, doesn't have to be amazing sound.
  10. Mike Grant

How much do you think this would be worth?

The four surround speakers as well as the center and sub all have black cabinets. However the two RTA 11Ts both have an oak veneer. I'm going to PlacticDip them black to match the others. I'll take before and after pics for you.
  11. Mike Grant

Thanks guys. I did purchase all of the above for $250 instead of $300. He had it all set up to listen to and the sounds was gorgeous! Everything was in great shape. He took good care of it, just needed the room. 8 speakers is a lot to ask for. So many new buttons to play with. Can't wait to set...
  12. Mike Grant

Thanks for that. I guess I could use my existing Yamaha HTR 3063 instead of the Denon. The guy wants $300 for everything I figure its under $40 per speaker and you get the processor for free.
  13. Mike Grant

Trying to upgrade my condo stereo from a crappy Yamaha surround sound system to something a lot more substantial. I've already received a green card from my wife but since you guys know so much more than I do I thought I'd ask for advice. Here is what I found: 2x Polk RTA 11T (6ohm, 30-250W)...
  14. Mike Grant

HD600: just ordered!

I just got my HD600s last week and have been using them off and on all last week. The sound is super clean but under-powered. You don't HAVE to use an amp but I now understand why others purchase them. I haven't decided yet whether or not I'll go that route.
  15. Mike Grant

HD600: just ordered!

I found a used pair of HD 600s on Craigslist for $150. We are supposed to meet at a mutual Best Buy location tonight so that I can check them out to make sure they are OK. I have not had a good set of cans in many years. My ears are already excited. Is there anything that I should beware of?
  16. Mike Grant

condo noise problem.. hopefully solveable?

I'm with you. I actually have a Christmas tree timer that turns off my subwoofer at 9:00 auto-magically so that I keep the peace. Unfortunately I can solve the entire issue with one word....HEADPHONES. I read an article somewhere that talked purchasing an old set of headphones that has great...
  17. Mike Grant

condo noise problem.. hopefully solveable?

Many year ago I helped build a recording studio in SoCal. The budget was tight so what we did for the walls was to sheet rock it, then a 6-9" layer of insulation covered by burlap. The place was dead as a door nail inside and out and actually looked pretty cool. Instead of framing out another...
  18. Mike Grant

Hello from Northern California

Thanks again.
  19. Mike Grant

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I still am getting used to AK not meaning Arkansas.
  20. Mike Grant

Thanks. I definitely feel like I live in God's country.
  21. Mike Grant

the old saying is "the coldest winter I've ever felt was a summer in San Francisco." You definitely have to wear layers. What's weird in the summer is that there is sometimes a 40 degree temp difference between San Francisco and Sacramento. You can leave SF when it's 60 and 2 hours later be in...
  22. Mike Grant

Thanks guys.
  23. Mike Grant

Vinyl only spin list

First thing this morning to get my weekend started and my ears warmed up: Boston- More than a Feeling Boston- Don't Look Back
  24. Mike Grant

I bounce back and forth between Sacto and San Francisco. SF is expensive but is foodie heaven.
  25. Mike Grant

What Stereo Type Are You?

I can relate. I have a cabinet full of classic vinyl and about 3/4 of a terabyte of tunes on a hard drive.
Back
Top Bottom