Search results

1. Marantz 500

Setting up my Thorens after many years, platter scrapes

Make sure that the transport screw(s) are removed. Just a thought! I have one TD320 and a TD320 MkII. Very nice turntables! All the best, Jake
  2. Marantz 500

COPLAND amp question

Copland is a Danish company, and I know that some of their amplifiers are/were produced in Sweden. Very high quality stuff, and they've got a good reputation here in Scandinavia. I have listened to the products you mention, but never owned any copland stuff myself.
  3. Marantz 500

Cartridge Replacement For Pioneer PL-707

I used an Ortofon OM30 on my PL505, which is very similar to PL707. This cartridge worked very well indeed and sounded excellent on the Pioneer turntable.
  4. Marantz 500

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown" LP through Kef Calinda speakers. (Thorens TD320 MkII turntable, Grado ZF1 cartridge, AMC CVT3030 hybrid amplifier).
  5. Marantz 500

What speakers should I pair with a Dynaco ST 35?

Right now I'm using my ST35 with Linn Kan II speakers, which to me is a good-sounding combination. The ST35 in itself should give you "warm and relaxed" sound, so I would go for fairly neutral-sounding speakers. Those Klipsch speakers look interesting, I've never listened to them.
  6. Marantz 500

Manual TT question

On my Technics SL1210 MkII, I stop the platter when changing record. Mostly because I'm worried my fingers will accidentally touch the strobe markings on the side of the platter and I'll drop the record and/or damage the needle. On my Rega Planar 2, I keep the platter spinning, since it takes a...
  7. Marantz 500

Linn Basik bearing issue

The Linn Basik turntable (launched about 1990) came with an Akito (Mk I) tonearm. There may be Basik turntables where the owner has robbed the turntable of the Akito tonearm and put a different tonearm on it, but the Akito was the original tonearm on the Basik. At least in Europe!
  8. Marantz 500

Help needed to I.D turntable

Pioneer PL41 looks very similar if not identical to your turntable. Seems like an interesting model! http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-41.shtml
  9. Marantz 500

Restoring KEF Calinda 1976

I have a pair of Calinda speakers as well. Great restoration work! It looks like your speakers are missing the original feet, are you planning to put similar feet on yours? All the best, Jake
  10. Marantz 500

Marantz 3300

I've also used my 3300 with an ST70 for a few years, and it worked great. Very good sound!
  11. Marantz 500

Top 5 vintage TUBE tuners?

LEAK Trough-Line is supposed to be a very good tube tuner, though much more common in Britain than in the U.S. http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/18/06/2010/the-leak-trough-line-fm-tuner-a-milestone-in-british-tuner-design/
  12. Marantz 500

Dynaco ST-70 w/o preamp

A Dynaco PAS-3X should be quite affordable, and it's built for the ST70.
  13. Marantz 500

Imf tls-50 vs b&w dm4

I've had B&W DM4 speakers, and I think you'll like them. Fantastic speakers with wonderful midband reproduction. No need for a huge, powerful amp. I regret selling mine. The IMF speakers would need a much bigger room than the DM4's, I think. But in the right room I'm sure they are also very...
  14. Marantz 500

What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

I also have one of those, but on my Thorens TD125. Here's a rather detailed description from Gramophone Magazine: Bib Groov-Kleen Model 42 Manufactured by Bib Division, Multicore Solders Ltd., Hemel Hempstead, Herts. THE Bib Groov-Kleen is the latest of many audio accessories to reach us...
  15. Marantz 500

Someone's got to see this... (Thorens w/ lots of interesting crap)

Kind of a strange mixture of equipment. The turntable is a TD125 MkII, but there is an instruction manual for a TD126... Lots of bits and pieces, but perhaps only one functioning SME tonearm, the one that's on the turntable. Empty boxes aren't of much use. I'd either ask for a complete listing...
  16. Marantz 500

Kenwood M2A Output Level Inbalance

Have you tried cleaning the potentiometers with Deoxit or similar? The pots on my Basic M2 became a bit scratchy and cleaning them solved the problem for me.
  17. Marantz 500

Thorens 125 MK II with SME 3009 - any opinions?

I have a TD125 MkI with an SME 3009 S2 tonearm and a Shure V15 cartridge. I love it, a great turntable to use and listen to. I'd recommend buying that turntable if it's in decent shape and the price is OK. There may be better turntables nowadays, but this really is a classic, and very...
  18. Marantz 500

Luxman owners can you share pics of your luxman equipment?

Nice Luxman equipment! Are those speakers Kef Calinda speakers?
  19. Marantz 500

Kenwood 'Basic' Fans - Are there any

I have a C2 preamp and an M2 power amp which I use with JBL L80T speakers, a Thorens TD125/SME 3009/Shure V15 II turntable and a Rotel RCD845 CD player. Also had a C1 and M1 combination which I sold to a friend who needed a good amp. Very good sound from the Basic components!
  20. Marantz 500

Rega Planar 3 or Technics 1200

I have a Rega turntable and an SL1210 MKII, and I agree with those who say both are good turntables. There's no need to put down either of them. There are quite a few really lousy turntables around, but these two don't belong in that category. My Rega holds speed perfectly (to my ears) and...
  21. Marantz 500

What do the Pioneer A-90's go for on ebay?

An A90 sold for 360 USD on ebay a few days ago, but one single auction doesn't really tell you much about what people will be willing to pay the next time. Nice amp, though!
  22. Marantz 500

TD-125: What better tone arm...

I have exactly the same combination of turntable and tonearm with a Shure V15. Like Majick said, you have a classic combination - why change anything? If you want to try a different tonearm you might get another turntable, and put a new tonearm on that. That's what I would do.
  23. Marantz 500

What do you think of a Luxman 277?

I have both a PD375 and a PD277. Both have a great finish and are well-built turntables. Maybe the PD375 sounds slightly better, but they're both DD turntables with fine tonearms. There is less to go wrong with the PD277 (fewer features) so if you want a basic turntable I think it would be a...
  24. Marantz 500

Guess an AMP?

Maybe the Philips receiver in the bottom of this picture...
  25. Marantz 500

PAS3 Upgrades

I have a modified PAS3 with the tone controls bypassed, and a PAS3X with tone controls. To my ears, the modified PAS3 is the one that sounds best, I think there is a difference. With my Kef speakers, I don't really feel the need for tone controls, so I would prefer the one without tone controls...
Back
Top Bottom