Search results

1. Tdogzthmn

Looking for good Yamaha Integrated similar to C4

Im currently running a re-capped Sansui AU-517 which has been a fun amp to use and quite versatile. Recently though I became interested in Yamaha amps after learning about some of their classic combos such as the C4/M4 and the venerable C2/M2 pre amp and power amp combos. It seemed difficult...
  2. Tdogzthmn

Anyone using WISA speakers for wireless audio?

I've come across a new high resolution wireless audio protocol called WISA. It seems to be mostly aimed at multi channel audio but Ive been interested it exploring it for a more minimalist 2 channel set up. In terms of Brands that support Wisa, I've seen Klipsch has range of speakers which are...
  3. Tdogzthmn

Sansui Toggle Switch Replacments?

Im looking for replacement toggle switches that would match or be close to the type used on the AU-517. Any ideas who made these or where I could get a substitute? Image of the toggle I am looking for. Many thanks!
  4. Tdogzthmn

If you could resurrect a Sansui product

What would you choose and why? I wanted to hear from some of the more knowledgeable Sansui fanatics about which amplifier or receiver they think would be worth bringing back to life and why. For example I know the AU-111, AU-555. or even the AU-517 were classics in their respective ways. Let...
  5. Tdogzthmn

Anyone have an Audio Technica AT-LPW40WN?

Audio Technica recently introduced several new turntables which included the AT-LPW40WN. Its a belt drive model with Carbon fiber tonearm and a handy speed section dial at the front. I've not seen much first hand experience with this TT yet and wondering if anyone here might have one already...
  6. Tdogzthmn

AU-517 partial channel imbalance

My AU-517 started to loose power in the left recently at low volumes. I normally only listen to the amp at around -52 or -60 dB and noticed the left channel fading out. When I connect some headphones and crank the volume up to almsot halfway the volume of left channel comes back up, appearing...
  7. Tdogzthmn

Firstwatt F5 with Magnepan MMG?

I'm thinking of getting another Magnepan MMG now that I have room again that would accommodate it. My speaker amps are a Firstwatt F5 Clone (25 WPC), and a Sansui AU-517 (65 WPC). Although the Sansui has more power I've sen a few posts saying the Sansui is not a good match. I'd like to know...
  8. Tdogzthmn

Which bookshelf speakers to pair with AU-517?

I've been trying to find a nice pair of bookshelf speaker which will make for a good pairing with my AU-517. Mostly looking for used speakers under $500 which would be able to utilize the power of this amp. I am currently using a pair of Blumenstein Orca's which sound lovely with certain...
  9. Tdogzthmn

Interested in the Dahlquist DQ-10

I recently heard a pair of these speakers in a shop one day and originally mistook them for the Quad ESL 57 but was corrected by the owner that they were in fact Dahlquist DQ-10's and the best speakers he has ever owned. I have explored DIY open baffled designs before and owned a pair of...
  10. Tdogzthmn

Denon DL-103 vs DL-103R

I love the sound of my DL-103 and would like to know if the DL-103R offers a significant difference in sound. For perspective I also own the DL-301mk2 and while it also sounds great I prefer the sound of the DL-103. I feel the 103 offers better musical presentation to music and hoping the 103R...
  11. Tdogzthmn

DACs with AES/EBU out

My music setup has been moving away from Hifi components to using more Pro audio gear. My next pair of monitor speakers will likely have AES/EBU inputs but im not very familiar with DACs which have this type of digital output. I'm hoping to hear some someone that is currently using a DAC with...
  12. Tdogzthmn

Mytek Brooklyn opinions

I've been thinking about using the Mytek Brooklyn as the centerpiece for my music system. I mostly use active speakers so the Mytek would allow me to simplify things by acting as my DAC and phono stage. Ive really enjoyed the sound from the Musette DAC I use but I would be willing to forgo...
  13. Tdogzthmn

Who's running Active Speakers?

For the past 4 months I have been primarily using a pair of Mackie HR824 MkII speakers after becoming curious about the potential of using professional Monitors in a home listening environment. I had initially worried the speakers would sound too bright or treble heavy as I had read in some Pro...
  14. Tdogzthmn

Apple Music, good enough for me.

I've used the majority of streaming services over the years and keep finding myself going back to Apple Music. None of the streaming services are perfect and each has its special strengths over the others. I just find Apple music to have the best combination of music catalog, easy to use...
  15. Tdogzthmn

Interested in Denon Turntables

I’d like to know which Denon direct drives would considered to be on par or superior to my current Technics 1210 mk2. The Technics is a wonderfully constructed machine and sounds fantastic. Never the less I’m curious about the older Denon tables which aren’t as prevalent but look to be well...
  16. Tdogzthmn

Any minidsp users?

I recently ordered a DDRC-22A from minidsp to use in my primary listening system. I've read about DSP devices and software like Dirac for a few years but don't see it being mentioned in many systems. There seems to be a lot of benefits to a good DSP system which should allow your speakers to...
  17. Tdogzthmn

Getting into active studio monitors

I recently picked up a pair of used Mackie HR824 mk2 studio monitors to compare against my primary system which included some high efficiency fullrange speakers driven by a low power SET tube amp. My only other experience with active speakers had been a pair of Audioengine A2 used in a...
  18. Tdogzthmn

Anyone familiar with the Sunvalley 845 amp?

Came across this listing for a Sunvalley SV-S1628D 845 tube amp but can't seem to find much about it. I've never heard an amp using the 845 but it seems like it might be overkill for my 98db at 8 ohms speakers. http://wallofsound.ca/misc/news/sun-valley-211845-set-tube-amp-kit-from-japan/...
  19. Tdogzthmn

Mobile Fidelity Turntables?

I've been interested in the new turntables and phono stages put out by Mobile Fidelity but haven't seen much written about them yet. Is it still too early for reviews?
  20. Tdogzthmn

Issues with Tape Play buttons on AU517

I've been enjoying my AU517 for the past few months until recently when I noticed th right channel dropping out. I discovered this was related to an issue with the Tape Play buttons on the front of the amp not working properly and causing signal loss. Is it worth replacing the switch mechanism...
  21. Tdogzthmn

Looking for more low cost MC carts to try.

My current selection of MC carts includes the Denon 103, and the DL301mk2. Between the two I've tended to prefer the more musical presentation of the 103 although it's also more broken in. I've since become interest in the "budget" MC carts from other manufactures like Audio Technica and...
  22. Tdogzthmn

Step up from AU517

I'm currently enjoying my AU-517 which I had restored shortly after purchasing the amp. This has been my first experience with Sansui and I really love the features, build, and sonic ability of the amp. It has also made me wonder what other models would be worth looking for and trying out. My...
  23. Tdogzthmn

Modern Direct Drive TT ?

I've been looking to see if there are any manufacturers making direct drive turntables which are on par with my Technics 1210mk2 and not prohibitively expensive. Aside from the new Technics models coming out an the range of cheaper Audio Technica direct drives is there any other quality...
  24. Tdogzthmn

Anyone have experience with Finale Audio amps?

I came across this company based in Toronto Canada which offers a nice selection of tube amps, and other gear. http://www.finaleaudio.com I'm thinking about buying one of their integrated amps utilizing the EL84 tube. So far I have not found much information or reviews on their gear. I'd...
  25. Tdogzthmn

Sansui AU-517 with sensitive speakers

I'd like to know if anyone owning an AU-517 has used this amp with speakers with an efficiency close to 98 decibels at 8 ohms. Since I'm mostly using 2-3 watts for daily listening levels I would hope the amp will still sound great at lower levels.
Back
Top Bottom