Search results

1. C

List the top 3 best sounding speakers you have ever owned.

I listened to Marantz and other 70's receivers with several KLH and AR speakers for years. I now have McIntosh amps and preamps and listen primarily to JBL L150, L110, and other brands of speakers. I favor JBL speakers. I have a McIntosh MC452 amp now, with 450 watts both channels driven...
  2. C

Help troubleshooting Luxman R-105 stereo receiver :)

This week I bought online in an estate sale a Luxman R-105 receiver. From the photos I suspect it was stored in an attic or garage as it is pretty dirty. However, the auction says it does power up but it is untested. I paid $17.50 for the receiver, and I will pick it up tomorrow. Like...
  3. C

Want to know what speakers you are using for your McIntosh Gear

I have been using JBL L150s with my MC-452 but I am thinking about different speakers. I will read through this thread again, but if anyone has something to suggest please send me a PM. I am interested in Klipsch speakers but don't know much about them yet. What models are a suitable match?
  4. C

Empire Royal Grenadier 9000M speakers

Wayne, I looked more closely at your photos. Your speakers are in excellent condition. Very attractive. The pair I found for sale will undoubtedly need some TLC before they could look this nice.
  5. C

Wayne, this is the speaker I am talking about. Have you heard them? How do they sound? Have you rebuilt them? Any issues? The pair I have found look to be in about this condition. Thanks
  6. C

Empire Scientific Model 8200 Imperial Grenadier bookshelf speakers I found a pair of these for sale and was curious about them. Never seen them before. All the information I find is about the 9000's and very little about the 8200 bookshelf model. Very interesting speakers from what I did find...
  7. C

Need advice on- MC300, MC352, MC2200, MC2205, MC2250, MC2255, MC2300 , MC7200, MC7270 and MC7300

With Richard1079's question I had cause to reread this entire thread that I started in 2019. I learned so much from the responses. I thought I would provide an update if anyone is still following it. I bought the MC452 from Audio Classics and love it. I moved it upstairs into the game room and...
  8. C

Want to know what speakers you are using for your McIntosh Gear

Two sets of Mac gear, vintage and not so much. C20 with two MC40 mono-blocks from the 1950's driving KLH 5's, and MC 452 with C34 driving JBL L150s. Also have KLH model 6's and 20's, JBL L110s, Warfdales, AR2As, B&W Nautilus and some other nostalgic book-self speakers I have wired to mostly...
  9. C

B&W 805 D2 front speakers, center and powered sub-woofer/ which McIntosh separates?

Thanks Duane. I am still studying and learning about my new Sony A8G 4K UHD TV. I also purchased a Sony 4K Blu Ray deck. I am using the old Denon AV receiver now, but not passing the Video signal through it. I understand the later model AV receivers pass the audio and video signal through the...
  10. C

Need advice on- MC300, MC352, MC2200, MC2205, MC2250, MC2255, MC2300 , MC7200, MC7270 and MC7300

Tom Williams aka Catrafter on AK. Here is a link to his website- www.VintageElectronicsRestprationService.com Tom has restored a couple of Marantz receivers for me and he does excellent work. He photographed his work, before and after, and kept me updated a couple of times each week. That...
  11. C

B&W 805 D2 front speakers, center and powered sub-woofer/ which McIntosh separates?

A few months back I bought a used set of B&W speakers. This included 805 D2 bookshelf or stand mount speakers, a center speaker and a powered sub-woofer. I also bought with the package a McIntosh C34V pre-amp and the seller threw in a Denon 110 watt 7.1 AV receiver. I think the seller had used a...
  12. C

Rebuilding- Denon DP-47F turntable, Sargeant Rayment 17-17 integrated preamp/amp, Fisher 700...

Rebuilding- Denon DP-47F turntable, Sargeant Rayment 17-17 integrated preamp/amp, Fisher 700. Recording- 1920's jazz- 78 records onto CD.
  13. C

C34V with CR7 remote control- restore or trade/sell for newer model

Thanks Mike G. for the recommendation on the MCD-205. I will watch for a good deal on one while using the 7000. I do like having a multi-disc changer at times. If they are dependable and quiet. And Terry, good to hear from you. I totally agree with your comment. I had a AKer retip a Denon...
  14. C

C34V with CR7 remote control- restore or trade/sell for newer model

As an update.. Audio Classics did a fantastic job restoring both the C34V pre-amp and the CR-7 remote/monitor amp. They said the C34 had a bad resistor and some loose soldered connections, but was otherwise in very good shape. They said it was restored to factory specifications and sounded and...
  15. C

Can anyone recommend a good shop to recap Denon DP47F?

Thanks for the phone number and name. I will call him to see what experience he has with Denon DP47F turntables. Is your C20 the older, middle or newer style? I didn't know which mine was until I started looking for the cabinet. Then I realized there were different face plates and cabinet...
  16. C

Thanks for the reply 'yonder'. I will do a search on his business and see if I can get a phone number. Is it a one man shop? Or can you give me a name? And, I see we both have something in common, the Mac C20 pre-amp. I have the older style, what about you. What amp(s) do you run it with? I...
  17. C

Direct Drive Denon that needs new caps

Thanks IBCgav, I will look for that symtom. I am in the process of buying a Denon DP-47F with a tone arm that acts up in full auto mode. But the table is working currently in manual mode. I want to have all caps replaced along with any bad resistors. I have been told that if a cap fails while...
  18. C

Denon Turntable mfg date by serial number

I am in the process of buying a used DP-47F myself. Also, I own two DP-45Fs already. So, if you learn of a way to determine the Date of Manufacture, please let me know. Also, I am looking for someone who can replace all caps and any bad resistors in my DP-47F. If you find someone, please let...
  19. C

I am buying a Denon DP47F from another AK member. The tone arm is acting up, but the table works manually. I understand that if a capacitor fails while I am using it, it can cause the computer to go out. And, those are no longer made and are difficult to find. So, the table may become useless...
  20. C

Is there such a thing as a clean speaker selector box?

That is a very good question. I have found only one selector box so far that that does not 'discolor' the sound of the speakers. It is the JEC selector box at the bottom of the stack in the photos above. I use it to switch back and fourth between two amplifiers and two speakers in my "audio...
  21. C

I am moving away from receivers to McIntosh separates. And, I currently have three Marantz receivers, the 2275 and 2325 have been rebuilt by AK member Catrafter, and the 2285B is the only one that I have not had rebuilt. If I had to do over again, I would have rebuilt the 2285B and kept it...
  22. C

Hey Don, Thanks for the post. i will do a search on the TEC TC616. I noticed you use a Marantz 2285B and AR2ax speakers. I have that receiver and it is nice. Did you know it is rated at 94 wpc and not 85 as I always thought. The 2285 was rated at 85, and the 2285B was rated at 94. I have been...
  23. C

Here are some photos of the five (5) speaker selector boxes I have tried so far. I am still using one to switch amps and listen to them on two sets of speakers. Another I am trying now, is the one without a name on the front, installed and labeled for four sets of speakers. It is making popping...
  24. C

Todd, very, very nice. I have never built anything like this, so I have a few questions if you don't mind. With simple answers please- How does it determine line signal strength on each line and equalize them? I can imagine looking at meters and making manual adjustments, but I cannot imagine...
  25. C

Also, thanks for mentioning Adcom. I will do some research on those. I have two Adcom preamps I use primarily when working on amps. I am using a Adcom GTP-500 now with my MC452, while my Mac C34 preamp has been at Audio Classics for a clean and service. I like the Adcoms, but not as much as the...
Back
Top Bottom