Search results

1. C

PS2K Powered Subwoofer

This notification just arrived in my email inbox. My second instinctive guess at the MSRP price ($50,000) was correct. Nice product, but unfortunately out of my price range. If it wasn't, I wouldn't mind having having two. https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/subwoofers/PS2K
  2. C

XCS1.5K Center Channel Loudspeaker

MSRP is $40,000. McIntosh XCS1.5K Center Channel Loudspeaker (mcintoshlabs.com)
  3. C

Distortion and S/N specs

That's some interesting history with O'Brien and the 275's. I read he was a good and well respected man. Would you still have sold your tube amps presupposing knowledge about the newer amps? I much prefer the original MC-275 to the newer versions, in particular the tubes that light up in a green...
  4. C

Distortion and S/N specs

Sonically, I think it's pretty hard to tell below 1%. Unless the Power Guard lamps illuminate for longer than a half-second on the MC-150 I can't really discern any distortion. Spec wise, it depends on what I'm using the amp for and what the amp is. I wouldn't expect a tube amp to have the low...
  5. C

Distortion and S/N specs

Can't argue with this. A couple of personal stories for you...when I was still high school in the early 90's, my father bought me a Pioneer stereo receiver. Not exactly the model I wanted, but I was content with it nonetheless. A couple of years later, I moved to Arkansas to attend college and...
  6. C

Distortion and S/N specs

Generally, you're correct; an exception to this would be the MC2300 (0.25% THD) which is from the same time period as the MC3500 (0.15% THD). My line of questioning though pertains more to THD and S/N ratings on some newer amps/preamps as either being stagnant or becoming worse on paper as...
  7. C

Distortion and S/N specs

I've always been a stickler for knowing the technical specifications on audio equipment. Low distortion ratings and quiet amp/preamp operation is one of the things that first attracted me to McIntosh and this appears to be the one of the company's main selling points since the 1950's. I remember...
  8. C

Thoughts on a McIntosh MC150

I know I'm a few months late but wanted to reply to this. I've had a C-40 driving an MC-150 for a long while and believe they pair very well with each other. I requested the sales brochures from McIntosh that detailed both of these units when they were manufacturing them in the 90's. The height...
  9. C

VERY INTERESTING! McIntosh Celebrates 70th Anniversary

I'm sure the performance of the C70 and MC2152 will be nothing short of stellar, but I do have a few minor critiques. It seems the C70 is designed for users that will be using a turntable as their primary playback unit; otherwise, why are there two dedicated knobs strictly for that purpose? I...
  10. C

Equipment tune up -- McIntosh Labratory or Audio Classics?

twiii, I've got an MC150 and a C40. I am uncomfortable shipping these units and would gladly consider driving them to Arizona from north Texas if I have to, which is where I live. I did make a couple of round trips down to Bjorn's in San Antonio with the preamp to have a problem with the...
  11. C

I thought McIntosh would have been quicker. The guy in the link you sent looks reputable, though. I'll give him a call. Thanks!
  12. C

I have a McIntosh amp/preamp setup from the early 90's that will probably need some maintenance done on them soon. Both units sound fantastic and there's nothing wrong with them except I think they may be due for a recap soon. I also think the meters may need to be tested and calibrated for...
Back
Top Bottom