Search results

1. jwest1197

Impedance mismatching

The equation for finding the resistance of multiple objects in parallel is 1/r1+1/r2=1/r(total). So, 1/4+1/8=3/8=1/2.66666666667. This means you get the weird and funny ohm load of 2.66666666667 ohms. Just apply the equation 1/r1+1/r2=1/r(total) for each set you want to use and make sure that...
  2. jwest1197

Looking for first DAC

Well, I got an NAD DAC 2 because I'm using a laptop and need a little bit of distance between the computer and the Hi-Fi. It's pretty good for what it is. My dad has a Schiit Modi 2 Uber because it has 3 inputs. It sounds a little less harsh, and suffers from less jitter than the NAD, also a fine.
  3. jwest1197

Can you have too much power ?

Well, that depends. If the system is loud enough for you, and the amp isn't being pushed, you still have all the necessary head room you could need. I don't know what Klipsch you're using, but a lot of them tend to be in the around 95ish dB, so a 100 watt amp is usually fine. What I would do, is...
  4. jwest1197

Is there a way to adjust to high and low volume limits on a flac file

I typically wouldn't consider high dynamic range to be an issue in the home. I'd only consider this to be an issue in the car. You could buy a separate compressor from guitar center for the home and route it through the tape monitors on a reciever, you could do what dr audio said, or if you just...
  5. jwest1197

How can I tell if a PS3 plays SACD?

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that only the fat Playstations with the spider man logo and the 4 USB ports on the front played SACD's. I have one and it plays SACD's, but it never sounded as nice as my dedicated CD player. Most of them don't rip SACD's anymore since the firmware no longer...
  6. jwest1197

TEAC TN-300 Cartridge upgrade...need help!

Check the alignment of your cartridge using an alignment protractor. You should be able to get one online for free and just print it out. That should let you know if it can be aligned properly with your head shell. I also just looked up your cartridge. I can't find a whole lot about it, aside...
  7. jwest1197

High end pre amp options

It's an NAD M55.
  8. jwest1197

High end pre amp options

Well, I do have a good SACD player with HDMI out. Maybe I should just consider something like a Yamaha C4 and a DAC with HDMI.
  9. jwest1197

High end pre amp options

I'm pretty intrigued with the amount of flexibility one could achieve using a separate pre amp and power amp. I've been looking up a great number of pre amps and wanted to know what kind of solid state, two channel pre amps with phono stage, analog inputs, coax and optical inputs and fixed...
  10. jwest1197

Need help selecting new bookshelf speakers

Thanks for the help, I finally got my speakers. They are Klipsch R-14M's.
  11. jwest1197

I'd like to use Dolby B on a cassette adapter

No, the ultimate would be a wire recorder playing drom a digital audio player with some outrageously priced DAC and Amp. It doesn't get more "ultimate" than that.
  12. jwest1197

I'd like to use Dolby B on a cassette adapter

I often use my phone plugged into a cassette adapter for music on my general commutes. The only major issue I have is that I often still get distracting tape hiss. Is there any sort of android software or a small passive circuit board I could use to encode my phone audio with Dolby B?
  13. jwest1197

CD Clipping

I guess you're just stuck. With Rush's Vapor Trails album, fans had to wait over ten years to get a version that didn't clip beyond belief.
  14. jwest1197

CD Clipping

I guess I shouldn't have just assumed that since it was a meatloaf album, it had to be older. I've made an @$# out of you and me.
  15. jwest1197

CD Clipping

You get to enjoy the result result of the loudness war. This is an initiative forced on onto to producers to compress the crap out of their projects. Try getting a used older copy of this album from the early days of CD; preferably a copy before the mid 90's if possible. The reason I say that is...
  16. jwest1197

Thanks, but I know that's not the issue. The place I bought them from always inspects and repairs it's used gear. They sound good, but it's not quite how I want it to sound.
  17. jwest1197

Question about FLAC

Did you really score that high? If so, I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. Also, what causes causes the improved noise floor is the 24 bit sampling. This is used more in production if a producer or engineering wants to increase gain without introducing noise, but once it's down sampled to 16 bit...
  18. jwest1197

Question about FLAC

I'm mostly talking about the DAC in a phone, not an external DAC. Just about any external DAC will sound better. I never asserted that external DAC's would cause distortion like that. As for the placebo effect comment, try a blind test yourself. YouTube can direct you to an application that...
  19. jwest1197

Question about FLAC

The reason you're probably dis satisfied with your phone audio is because of the built in DAC. The digital to analog converter in a phone is typically very cheap. FLAT files also wouldn't likely help. Some really cheap DAC's will distort if the sample rate is too high. CD quality audio has...
  20. jwest1197

What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

The general opinion that most people share would be the Technics SL 1200 MKII.
  21. jwest1197

AT95e why does everyone love this?

It's the price that everyone is tripping out over. I have one of these and an Ortofon Concorde Pro S. I'd say they're relatively comparable with respect to detail, the sound signature is different, but that's not important. The point I'm making is that, even though this cartridge is only...
  22. jwest1197

Interestingly enough I was considering those. I was also considering the JBL Arena B15's. As far as I could find online, they're supposed to be nearly identical to the Arena 120's. Sadly they didn't have them in store where I was considering checking them out.
  23. jwest1197

It's not that my speakers are badly preforming, they offer offer a very warm sound which can be great in some instances. It also seems more cost effective. The rason I brought up my mini fortune is that, I'd rather use my store credit, than spend actual money.
  24. jwest1197

I should mention that I'm open to modern speakers since I have mini fortune in store credit at a certain electronic store.
  25. jwest1197

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers to compliment my Realistic Nova 7B's. The reason I'm using this forums is because I'm looking for purposefully colored speakers. What I need is something with an 8 ohm resistance, moderately low power handling (Not much more than 100 WPC max), and...
Back
Top Bottom