Search results

1. S

Proton 930 or NAD 7130?

These are both available locally for about the same price, similar in age, similar WPC, both described as fully functional. I've read through a good deal of previous AK discussion of both receivers and have a pretty clear picture of their similarities, and also of the widely divergent takes on...
  2. S

Which of these speaker selector units would you buy?

All available for about the same (low) price locally: Niles SPS-4 Sonance SS-4 HomeTech HTS-6 Musica SS-6 (The mfg. is actually Mitek, I think?) And a couple of "vintage" Radio Shack/Realistic units, probably from the 1970s. FWIW, I don't actually need six inputs, so that difference between...
  3. S

Elac Miracord 50H glitch

i just acquired one of these, fitted with a Shure M44E, and like the sound (and the looks) very much. The machine has one odd problem: about 10-15 seconds into each LP, it skips/sticks. If I pick up the tonearm and move it past that point, I plays through for a while, then reaches another point...
  4. S

Why can't my older CD player read certain CDs?

I have a Toshiba SD9000 CD/DVD player. It sounds very good (to me) despite not being a CD-exclusive machine. It seems to have good solid machinery -- it weighs a ton for a CD player -- yet the very occasional CD totally flummoxes it. It'll just whir and whir and not be able to read the disc. I...
  5. S

Old glue on EPI 70 woofer cones

Trying to refoam a pair of these. The surrounds were almost completely rotted away, easy to remove. There's a thin bead of very old, VERY HARD glue on the edge of the cones. Unresponsive to liberal alcohol treatment, and I'm wary of scraping lest I damage the fairly fragile cone. I've refoamed a...
  6. S

Where to buy replacement foam w/o a full kit?

I have a pair of EPI A70s I got for free (!) because the bass drivers need refoaming. I have glue & other supplies for the task, just need the foam. I've bought replacements in the past but seem to encounter one supplier after another (Springfield, Simply Speakers) who want to sell me a whole...
  7. S

Long throw bass drivers with low power amp?

Thinking about a pair of EPI A70s that have been refitted with long throw woofers. I've read that long throw needs more power and I'm running a Marantz 2215B. Enough to drive the EPIs? Current setup includes Wharfedale W70s and Paradigm Atoms, just curious to hear what EPIs might sound like.
  8. S

Niles SSVC-4 with connectors removed

Came into one of these units and want to use it. The previous user seems to have removed all the connector covers, leaving just very small pins. It's not immediately clear to me what the best way to connect is. Anyone have input on the best way to use the SSVC-4 without covers?
  9. S

Refoaming Paradigm Atom Bookshelf Speakers

Hi all, Found a pair of these (the original models, I think, not the v2s or later) at a local thrift for $6. Hooked them up, can tell they're very good-sounding speakers -- I have a pair of 5se's I really like -- but one's got either a bad woofer or needs to be refoamed. I suspect the latter...
  10. S

Antenna advice, Marantz 2215B

Have this unit, substantially restored, sounds lovely. But I don't get much tuner reception, FM or AM, despite being in an urban area. Have the usual loop antenna. Any suggestions for a better antenna (not excluding an outdoor one)?
  11. S

Toshiba SR230: cartridge upgrade?

I have and like this CEC-made deck from the late 1970s. It’s probably due for a new stylus. Thinking about a new cartridge, but I read elsewhere that compatibility can be a problem with this table. Anyone have suggestions? Would I be best off just to buy a new stylus? And does anyone have an...
  12. S

Marantz 2215b questions

Just acquired a recapped, re-fused and generally restored unit. Sounds great. Couple questions: 1) I’m using a cheap loop fm antenna which I suspect could be improved upon. Recommendations? And is it recommended to use the 75 rather than 300 ohm antenna input? 2) Thoughts on using the tape...
  13. S

Tandberg -- phono stage?

Wondering what the consensus is on the Tandberg 2000 series' phono performance. I know overall build quality is highly regarded, as is the tuner itself; but I listen to a lot of vinyl and wonder how Tandberg performs in phono mode?
  14. S

Jolida FX-10: thoughts?

Inherited a pair of old Wharfedale W70s (from ca. 1961) that have been refurbished. I was thinking of driving them with tubes but I’m wary of the hazards of a really old amp. Stumbled on the Jolida while searching around online, and I’m intrigued. Anyone have opinions on this amp, and/or on...
  15. S

sony ps-x7 $125: worth it?

Not hooked up for demo. Seller says it powers up and spins, and has a Shure V15 VMR cartridge (and also that the TT sells for $400 on eBay, which isn't true.) Would you buy it?
  16. S

Adcom GFA535 vs Rotel RB960BX?

i have the Adcom and like it well enough, but find it a bit aggressive—not harsh, exactly; overeager, perhaps? In any case, the Rotel is available for $100 and I’m looking for opinions on whether it would be a significant improvement (and if $100 is a good price; it fetches a good deal more than...
  17. S

Pioneer PIM-30A

Found a pair of these in s thrift store, in reasonably good physical condition. Snapped them up. Sturdy, attractive, apparently scarce. Haven’t connected them yet. I read what I could find about them here and around online. After that research, I’m wondering if hooking them up to modern solid...
  18. S

Preamp with two phono inputs and one ground

I have a preamp that has two phono inputs but only one ground pole. Can I connect both turntables’ grounds to that pole at once?
  19. S

Cartridge/stylus recommendation for a JVC JL A40?

I like this old DD table from the late 70s, but think maybe it could benefit from a cartridge upgrade? It's got an IMS -- doesn't seem like much, but maybe I'm underestimating it. Recommendations for a new one -- or just a stylus -- in the low- to mid-price range? Thanks!
  20. S

Nikko Alpha II / Adcom GFA 535

Recently picked up an Adcom GFA 535 for pretty cheap to power my Nikko Beta II pre-amp, which I really like. The Adcom sounds good. There's now, of course, the matching Nikko Alpha II available locally, for about 4x what I paid for the Adcom. Is it worth going for the matching set?
  21. S

Yamaha p20, jvc fl-q4, Technics sl-b202, sl-q300.

Fans of any of these turntables? All available cheap in my area. General enthusiasm seems highest on AK for the JVC, but thought I’d get updated insight. I already have a Technics SL-D303, how does the SL-B202 compare? I also have a JVC JL-A40. Comparison to the QL-F4?
  22. S

Yamaha p20, jvc fl-q4, Technics sl-b202, sl-q300.

Fans of any of these turntables? All available cheap in my area. General enthusiasm seems highest on AK for the JVC, but thought I’d get updated insight. I already have a Technics SL-D303, how does the SL-B202 compare? I also have a JVC JL-A40. Comparison to the QL-F4?
  23. S

Kenwood kd750

Where would AKers put the value of this TT in 1) excellent operational condition, 2) in fair to good cosmetic condition; with Grado Black cartridge; and missing its dust cover?
  24. S

Toshiba SC-665

what do you think a fair price would be? This one is apparently in good condition but missing a meter light.
  25. S

Need a tutorial on connecting preamp to receiver.

Hi folks, Picked up a Nikko Beta II pre-amp for pretty cheap. Until I get a power amp, I want to run the Nikko through my Nakamichi RE-1 receiver, which has pre-out/main-in connections. What is the proper way to connect? Do I run the Nikko into the pre-out or the main in plugs, and what do I do...
Back
Top Bottom