Search results

1. dlrhawks

Cassette to Digital

FYI after reading the mono/mic mention, I checked my recordings. They're stereo. I must have used the line in jack and not the mic. I know there are "better sonic methods" to do this using a PC to record, but unfortunately I have a lot of proverbial mouths to feed outside of my A/V needs...
  2. dlrhawks

CD Player recommendations??

Bumping a slightly dormant topic here, but today's been a great CD player day. I had a Sony CDP-CA8ES I got free a few years ago. It was free because the tray would spin not recognizing loaded discs. I got it from the original owner who said and I quote "the stupid thing has never, ever worked...
  3. dlrhawks

Cassette to Digital

I used the free Audacity program. I recorded in FLAC all my unique cassettes and LP's with it. I was able to also remove pops from the LP's with it once recorded too. There was a learning curve (which I've effectively forgotten, haven't needed to use it in over a year), but there's tutorials and...
  4. dlrhawks

A simple device that rips my CD's and then plays then?

When it comes to say an "old school approach to whole house audio" setup - I have 3 rooms and a garage, all with analog stereos/receivers providing the speaker power (all made in 1970's) - I went in another direction. I wanted but one source, yet listenable in any or all rooms. So, I bought a...
  5. dlrhawks

welp...I found my "replacement" changer. I found locally on FB Marketplace a Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disv DVD/CD player for $20, talked him down from $30. Buying it was a farce of an experience. The guy selling it lived in a mobile home that looked like at some point he tore literally everything...
  6. dlrhawks

This one has a ribbed belt, the only belt it has apparently. The belt look likes two belts maybe a quarter inch apart, with ribs connecting the two together every 1/8th inch or so. My thinking is if I can find a CDP-CX 200 series locally that uses the same belt - there's roughly 10 pieces that...
  7. dlrhawks

I'm currently listening to a Sony CDP-CX90ES 200 disc changer. I had been using a Sony DVP-S9000ES for a couple years because the changer was skipping. Found a video on Youtube on how to clean the rod that the laser pickup rides on. The grease had gunked up over 23 years of use and the pickup...
  8. dlrhawks

new to me KR-7070 - near silent right channel with FM stereo

Thanks...very satisfied. Making one correction. He didn't mention it, but he actually did replace three of the '458 transistors that apparently were indeed bad - found them in the "replaced parts" bag he supplied. Musta meant he felt he didn't need to replace ALL of them.
  9. dlrhawks

Finally, an update. I just got my 7070 back from the repair guy I know. And all is well! The main offender was a couple "photocell resistors" apparently. The tech had to craft a couple LED's into the housings and I believe he said he had to use a resistor with one of the bulbs. Then a matter of...
  10. dlrhawks

Well, it has been a few days of running this unit, and I am now going to do two things with it. One, I've been studying videos and how-to's here on on Youtube on how to clean PCB's and repair stereos to the point where I'm beginning to believe I may tackle some light repairs on this myself...
  11. dlrhawks

Kenwood KA-4006 & KT-6007 sitting pretty

I sold my buddy a set of Heresy II's recently (I owned 3 sets of Heresy's at the time...this set was "My Spares"), knowing he'd be pairing them with a KA-3500. He asked me, won't they need more power? I said maybe you'll want more power, but I doubt you'll need more power cause that's a pretty...
  12. dlrhawks

FYI, I uploaded the English Owner's Manual to hifiengine just now. Not sure how long it takes for them to OK and post it. I noticed when researching this model, no owner's manual in any language on that site, so for anybody looking for a digital copy, enjoy! Listening to the receiver as I type...
  13. dlrhawks

Making some tiny progress. The corrosion on the end grounding clips for the shaft got me thinking that the chances are every clip between gangs has that crud built up also. Sure enough, I was able to rotate/tune the VC enough to where I could see the shaft grooves easily that the clips seat in...
  14. dlrhawks

Just to add something I've never seen before. I'm multi-tasking today, also repairing a snowblower I own. When I look down at the VC, I see the 3 trim cap screws. On the far right screw, there's this - for lack of a better way to say it - orange-reddish (maybe amber) glob of...something. It's...
  15. dlrhawks

I used "CRC Electrical Grade QD Contact Cleaner, non-residue" on the gang contacts (bought it at Home Depot), meaning...I did not soak the fins of the gangs. I hit up only the brass contact clips where the VC shaft passes through the housing each time (both sides of each housing frame I'll call...
  16. dlrhawks

Howdy, long time posting for I've had no recent issues until today. This is long...but I've done a lot of testing today and am trying to be a accurate as possible. Today I pulled off a trade for my Sony STR-6050 receiver, receiving a Kenwood KR-7070 in return plus cash. The 7070 appears to be...
  17. dlrhawks

Sony STC-7000 rare!???

Yep. Reminds me of my STR-6050 and STR 6055. LOVE those old Sony's. Own an ST-2950SD and a TA-2650 too. I am quite surprised how loud they get for being roughly 40 wpc units.
  18. dlrhawks

Need some advice on choosing an amp for a Kenwood KT6500

If it's important to you, make sure when you're checking out Kenwood integrated amps to look at dimensions. Not sure...but a KA-3500 I believe is a lot narrower than your tuner, while the aforementioned KA-7100 might be exact. And yeah, 7100's are pretty darn good amps.
  19. dlrhawks

Why bother when you have internet FM?

The dot is indeed there with my Zenith TO 7000... That's a cool piece of info, thx!
  20. dlrhawks

Oh I know the 3000 well. My sister has the one my dad initially bought, I have the 7000 my dad bought later on. The 3000, the power brick died long ago and she never got a replacement, but mine works rather well still though my dad left batteries in it way too long, the battery part of the mix...
  21. dlrhawks

AM Radio Hum (on some stations and not others)

Oh yeah, definitely an AM radio nerd. FM too actually. More during the summer months though. Even Sirius/XM is near impossible because of that bluff's trees. And it didn't seem economically feasible to have DSL at $80/month when I was there at most 8 days a month. I remember when my father...
  22. dlrhawks

Sony ES tuner (St-SA50ES) universal remote

No I do not. I have owned several ES pieces from the late 90's thru early 00's though and for the most part loved them all - I just went back to mostly all analog cause I just don't have the appropriate room for a good surround sound speaker setup. I still use my STR-DA4ES today in my living...
  23. dlrhawks

No two listeners are really alike ;) I've always been a radio guy. My dad owned Zenith Transoceanics back in the 70's (worked for Collins Radio...go figure). As I've gotten older, I've figured out new technology doesn't always mean better sounding technology - and have sort of rediscovered FM...
  24. dlrhawks

Sony ES tuner (St-SA50ES) universal remote

A Logitech USB remote might have the codes you need. I just added a Sony ST-S333ESA to my Logitech, found it right away. My remote is +5 years old, but going to the Logitech site, there appear to be a few still made that support a SA-S333ESA and ESG. Check them out.
  25. dlrhawks

AM Radio Hum (on some stations and not others)

Nope. Not at all. Those are two of the best clear channels I get up there. While I can pick up 1540 and 1040 during the day, because the bluff is literally right behind my cabin, then never come in as well as 1100 and 1120 do at night. The whole reason I bought the CC Radio antenna was 670 and...
Back
Top Bottom