Search results

1. D

Jumping back in with Reference Six speakers

Scratch that. Person sold them - I almost made the 90 minute drive when he finally responded to one of my several messages asking if it was still a go.
  2. D

I was hoping one of those would have covered my speakers. I saw somewhere reference to the surrounds being black and I recalled them being gray foam, I was hoping an old catalog would allay my concerns. Since this post, however, I have looked at loads of photos and they were always that gray...
  3. D

I swear I had a Hifiengine account, maybe they killed it due to lack of use? Can somebody please download these catalogs for me? I'd like all of them for reference. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/infinity/reference-series.shtml
  4. D

I owned a pair for roughly 12-15 years, bought them new in 89 or 90. I was always a bit upset with myself for selling them but times were tight, apartments were small, and Urei 809's were my primary speaker. I plan to pick up a pair this weekend. - Woofers requires a refoam, I imagine the other...
  5. D

AR-XA/other - Marc Morin tips, hints, instruction?

I have this table mostly sorted, I'd like to think. Outstanding issues: Still need to install cap across power switch terminals. New issues: When I start it I hear a buzz like the motor struggling but that should not be the case; new motor and cap, the platter spins VERY smoothly...
  6. D

Finally got back to working on mine. Whats been done: - machined new liner for platter well. - replaced delrin in both t-bar wells. - polished bearing at bottom of spindle. - replaced wand with Technics wand using audio-technica headshell. - replaced motor, capacitor, etc. - replaced tonearm...
  7. D

Definitely in need of a hug and kiss, for sure.
  8. D

Not sure why the image is not showing in my previous post. Lets hope this sticks around.
  9. D

This weekend I machined a brass bushing to replace the worn Babbitt bearing for the platter and made a tonearm rest.
  10. D

A quick update: I've been in contact with Hose53 and StuartB, both have been immensely helpful and informative. The Babbitt bearing for the platter spindle was totally ruined. I drilled out the old material and will machine a bronze oil-impregnated sleeve to replace it this weekend. While with...
  11. D

I was actually looking for a company called Hose and Stewart. Ooops. I'll look them up soon. Thanks
  12. D

I have no idea who/what that is? I tried google - no luck.
  13. D

Tell me more about the second tonearm. I imagine it is not at all suspended with the factory assembly, so how does that work? Also, I really like the larger base and cover allowing the lid to be closed during playback.
  14. D

I just finished the thread shown above. As promised, loads of good information. On my list of to do's Open up the motor to clean and lubricate (seemingly impossible to open). Linn Springs. Creative way to mount roughly 3 additional pounds to the T-frame, or a weight required to compress...
  15. D

I will likely leave it close to original mechanical function - same motor, tonearm, headshell, etc - unless motor turns out to be a mess. I imagine it would be wise to replace the caps and since I live in America, I can completely bypass the 115/220 switching. I plan on building a new base -...
  16. D

I just picked up an AR-XA and researching what I should do with it to get it up to snuff and it appears Marc Morin was a highly respected authority on AR equipment. I never heard of him until yesterday and I already know what an influence he had here. Has anybody created a library of Marc Morin...
  17. D

BIC Turntables

Thanks for the information. The only one I have ever known of, FOR SURE, was BIC. It would make sense for others to include them. I'm wondering how many manufacturers currently have them included with turntable. I am not trying to be argumentative, nor am I assigning homework. I appreciate the...
  18. D

BIC Turntables

I curious, what other manufacturers have provided similar tools with their turntables? Any current manufacturers do this? I am honestly at a loss to find reference to similar tools being supplies with purchase. My google game may be off.
  19. D

BIC Turntables

I understand and have used protractors, pain in the butt iterative process. While I understand some want to dink around with various protractor options - Simple, Stevenson, Leogropheren (sp?) - some of us don't. I am not going to have one headshell for new vinyl and one for old. Providing a...
  20. D

BIC Turntables

Please take photos. I may make a half dozen and put on ebay or elsewhere to see if there in interest. It is truly a brilliant little piece of kit. - leaves zero doubt as to stylus alignment. - leave zero doubt as to tracking angle. In retrospect, it is VERY UPSETTING to think more...
  21. D

BIC Turntables

Made a few more revisions until I landed on this version. I made three, one for each turntable. Obvious function, setting stylus. I added two lines either side to assist in aligning cart body. Can be used to adjust head shell/tracking angle. Is this close to the original setting gauge?
  22. D

BIC Turntables

From what I've read the correct stylus position is dead center of headshell (left to right) and dead center of the M/A mode switch (fore and aft). I made made a block of wood to use as a buck to assemble the parts. Then ran through table saw to give clearance for the mode switch and lever...
  23. D

BIC Turntables

I made this tonight, works perfectly.
  24. D

BIC Turntables

I bought a 980 for myself. I bought a 960 as a parts donor, realized I could still make it a viable table too. Gifting that to my brother. Dad learns about my hobby, he wants a 980; I found one locally. Apparently I am becoming quite proficient with these tables. I've hit a setback. The wires...
  25. D

BIC Turntables

Its good to know. If I restore any more, I'll only need one nail instead of two. I honestly wondered if I should put in two as the NOS ones only have two; I opted to replace what was missing to cover my bases.
Back
Top Bottom