Search results

1. Jondubb35

SX-1980 Quartz Lock Issues

Thank you and I apologize for the PM. Next time I’ll post publicly. But I do appreciate you help. Hope you are healthy and doing well. QUOTE="markthefixer, post: 13642357, member: 6768"]I don't do help by PM. NO ONE else can benefit. My PM traffic is horrendous - I get more and more tempted...
  2. Jondubb35

Please help me identify this Grado cartridge

Thanks for the tips. I ended up buying a Gold 2 stylus to replace the black. Works great with the old body.
  3. Jondubb35

I forgot to thank you guys for helping understand how all this works. You have been extremely helpful in me keeping my sanity! Ha! I fuss and worry about small stuff with my vintage equipment way too much!
  4. Jondubb35

You are correct, the “compressed air” is one of those electronics dusters I get at Costco in a six pack. Gets extremely after using for so minutes. So it sounds like when I briefly change the temperature by spraying down in this section, which is why it locks and then unlocks once it heats back up?
  5. Jondubb35

Thanks for info. I found the adjustment and made a few small turns both counter and clockwise I ended up getting it to lock and stay on for a awhile but maybe after about 1 or 2 hours it started to drift again and I couldn’t get it to lock. When I shut it off and wait 15-20 mins, it locks as...
  6. Jondubb35

Is it possible to bypass or turn quartz lock off? It’s not essential to the FM being able to work properly, correct?
  7. Jondubb35

Looks like I’m gonna be lugging this beast about town once again! Hopefully it won’t be too difficult for the tech that’s close to my location to do the necessary FM work. Sounds it may just need some slight adjustments.
  8. Jondubb35

Sounds good. Thanks.
  9. Jondubb35

So I took a can of compressed air and blew down into where the FM tuning fins, etc reside, without removing the cover, and every time I did that, when the fine tune was flickering, it almost instantly stopped and quartz locked. After awhile it would unlock and start flickering again and I would...
  10. Jondubb35

Thanks all for your assistance. I will give macyjrm’s suggestion a go. Please excuse my ignorance, but can you perhaps upload a pic of the tuning condenser and the points on the shaft to apply cleaner?
  11. Jondubb35

Much appreciated, thank you.
  12. Jondubb35

Unfortunately, I’m not able to take it to the person who did the original alignment as he’s in NY and I’m CO. I understand that doing a full alignment myself is just not possible, for a multitude of reasons. I was hoping there was something relatively simple I could do with the quartz lock...
  13. Jondubb35

I made some extremely minor adjustments to the slot screw labeled “TC” in section next I to FM, which I believe to be the quartz adjustment. Didn’t really do anything other than move the tuning meter needle a little and make the fine tune less/more sensitive.
  14. Jondubb35

I recently acquired a 1980 that was fully cleaned, power supply rebuilt and the tuner supposedly aligned. The unit works and sounds great, however the quartz lock will not stay locked. Usually, right when I power the unit on, the quartz lock works as it should. After about 30 min to 1 hr give or...
  15. Jondubb35

Thanks a bunch! Was driving myself crazy trying to figure this out. If I'm understanding you correctly, I can install a Prestige Gold or Silver?
  16. Jondubb35

Hello- stumbled upon this thread when trying to determine which Grado cartridge I have. I picked up a Pioneer PL-530 and it came with a Grado. Can anyone tell me what model this is? Much appreciated.
  17. Jondubb35

IC Chips needed for SX-1280

Thanks all for the help with this. Unfortunately, I'm traveling for work this week (Sun-Weds) and I won't get an opportunity to work on it until I get back Wednesday evening. I will report my findings and/or progress once I'm home and able to get back to back in the music cave. Damn job getting...
  18. Jondubb35

Thanks. We just tried this with both of the tuning meters. The original one and the replacement I got from a donor unit. Not moving. Tuning dial stuck in the middle. Signal meters work great and radio works. What actually controls the tuning meter?
  19. Jondubb35

Well, I'm not exactly sure what's causing my issue, to be honest. Based on my "Internet forum" research I thought maybe the chips were the root of my problem. The receiver sounds great and operates well except for the tuning meter. The meter dial seems to be stuck straight up in the middle. It...
  20. Jondubb35

Thanks! I saw those PA1001A's from China on eBay but I wasn't sure they would work since there's really no description. I will order a couple of those. I do have an SX-780 and an SX-980 with similar looking chips. Do you know if these are the same as what's used in the 1280s?
  21. Jondubb35

Hello- I'm in need of the near impossible to find IC chips for my Pioneer SX-1280. Any AKers out there have any and are willing to sell? Parts are PA1001A and PA1002 Thanks all
Back
Top Bottom