Search results

1. legal eagle

The right turntable for a Hitachi set

I am considering adding a TT to my Hitachi set in order to build a period correct set, and I'm wondering whether there was a TT Hitachi put out as part of the series. The set (currently in storage) consists of a HCA-7500 preamp, HMA-7500 amp and FT-440 tuner. Anybody?
  2. legal eagle

JBL L80T vs. Tannoy Jopiter 307

Need help here.. I have a line on a pair of floorstanding JBL L80T and a pair of Tannoy Jopiter 307's. Same price, naturally the Tannoys look a bit younger and made in England. Before I go and listen to them, can anybody here tell me what to expect of each? I listen to practically everything...
  3. legal eagle

Bryston 0.4b preamp - next to nothing online

Trying to find info about the Bryston 0.4b preamp. No reviews! Some mentions of sales, but no user opinions. Strange. Any opinions on why the lack of opinions online about that particular model? Also - any opinions about that model (as long as we're here, you know...:-)?
  4. legal eagle

Bowers & Wilkins P5/P7 alternative?

Been looking for a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P5 (gen 2) or P7 in vain. One of the reasons I like these (aside from the sound) is that I love the build quality, and fact they use real leather for the earpads instead of the crap material most other manufacturers use (even the good once). Once...
  5. legal eagle

On/Off switch

My system (A class) develops some serious heat when on, so its a good idea to turn it off when I know it might be a while before I do some listening to it. The whole system is connected to a surge protector that can be turned on and off at a flick of a button. How bad (or perhaps good) is it to...
  6. legal eagle

Headphone amp hookup with EQ

I would like to add an Headphone amp to my setup, but there's a problem: Hooking up headphone amps is done through the tape in/out which are taken by my equalizer. Any solutions to that? Can it be done through the equalizer?
  7. legal eagle

How to straighten a warped record?

Records shamefully neglected for years, now taking their revenge. How can I win them back?
  8. legal eagle

preamp sub out

Am I correct remembering that only powered subs can be hooked to the preamp sub out?
  9. legal eagle

What makes Micro Seiki TT's so desirable?

I look at what goes on in forums and on the bay - and even the most basic Micro Seiki TT's have a constant and strong demand. I can easily understand the demand for the higher models, but what is it about the lower models that make them desirable?
  10. legal eagle

Cartridge and stylus

I want to better the resolution and the highs on my table, tannoy/micro td55tt. It sounds wonderful, but as always, i want more. It currently has a red ortophon stylus And i have no knowledge of the cartridge (but it should be a good one). Changing Which of the two should yield the desired...
  11. legal eagle

No Auto return on turntable?

So... I love my Tannoy / Micro seiki TM55DD, its beautiful, its wonderful sounding, best TT I ever had. But, there's one thing: It does not seem to have Auto return once the side comes to its end. Previous TT's I had, used to have auto return, while this one gets stuck at the end forcing me...
  12. legal eagle

Equalizer or DAC - through phono input?

I am trying to add an equalizer to my system, a SONY TA-E86 preamp. At this time, the CD connects to the aux, the tuner to the tuner inputs, and the DAC to the tape. I wanted to use the rec input, but it is not a loop, meaning there's no in & out but only l & r. The only free input is the phono...
  13. legal eagle

How to pluck small tubes?

In need of advice: Trying to take out the small (12ax7 and 12au7) tubes out of a Rogue Atlas amp. LOVE that amp. Problem is I can't get a good grip on them in order to pluck them out safely. Any tips re how to take them out?
  14. legal eagle

Supertweeters?

Fact, or snake oil? After all, they work at a frequency we can't really hear, especially with our old ears.
  15. legal eagle

Design Acoustics PS-10A - plans?

I have an old pair of Design Acoustics PS-10A which I LOVE. However, the enclosure, the box, is in bad shape so I am looking for the plans to the Design Acoustics PS-10A I could take them to a carpenter. Does anyone have these plans - or knowledge of a kit I could buy online? (I don't want to...
  16. legal eagle

Rogue Atlas hummmm

...so I switched my solid state amp to a Rogue Audio Atlas amp. It is wonderful - but there is a mumm I did not have with the solid state amp. Grounding is fine, and so is the solid state preamp. The tubes are fresh Electro Harmonix. What gives?
  17. legal eagle

Allison al120 - different drivers?

A long while ago I got my hands on a pair of al-120 enclosures without the drivers. I can't recall whether the crossovers are there, but that's irrelevant at this point, I think. As they have been in storage for years now, ill assume they are not there. My question is this: The al-120 have this...
  18. legal eagle

DAC to Phono?

...so I finally put together the small home office corner setup, a Kenwood KA-3500 & KT-5300 matched to a pair of Castle Trent 2 speakers and a surprisingly cheap but not crappy Pioneer DV-610AV DVD player, really sweet. I like it a lot. The DVD which has a USB input, is hooked to the AUX...
  19. legal eagle

Audio online catalogues?

Any decent audio catalogues out there, other than Audio advisor?
  20. legal eagle

The cables thread

for a very long time i've been walking around with a nagging question in the back f my mind: are the mid-high priced cables and interconnects nothing but snake oil? Yes - there is an audible difference between crap bottom of the barrel interconnects and the once that cost a bit, say up to...
  21. legal eagle

Kenwwod ka-3500 110 to 220 volt?

Does anybody know whether the KA-3500 is built to work on both 110V and 220V, or is that a major conversion job? :scratch2:
  22. legal eagle

Aurum cantus v3m

Any experiences with these? Does anybody know the nature of these?
  23. legal eagle

J.b.l hartsfield

OK... So they are big, old and beautiful. But - what is so special about them? Do they really sound that amazing, or is it something else? :scratch2:
  24. legal eagle

design acoustics ps-10A enclosure?

Got me a pair of design acoustics ps-10A for peanuts - and DAMN! these are a hidden treasure. They sound so good! Punchy, great stage, really a fine fine surprise. However, in addition to the expected rot of the woofer surounds (no big deal), the enclosure itself shows advanced signs of...
  25. legal eagle

Rogers LS4 or KEF 102?

I have to decide which pair to restore. Rogers LS4 or KEF 102? I have a pair of LS6 in my main set, and a pair of 103 too, so i am quite familiar with the typical sound to expect. But still, might there surprises?
Back
Top Bottom