Search results

1. drfous

Sansui Q-16 refurb

Same here. I can't even find info on these Noblecon caps. Assuming they are paper in oil, what's the view of 60+ year old caps?
  2. drfous

New Sansui 2000x - boomy and thin?

Boomy and thin can also be the room. Do you have experience with these same speakers in this same room with a different amp?
  3. drfous

Sansui Q-16 refurb

Some pics
  4. drfous

Sansui Q-16 refurb

I've had 1 of the mono amps for a couple of years and finally found it's brother. So I'm looking to start the rehab. If anyone has any info on these amps, I'd appreciate any input. They are push-pull EL84s. The electrolytics are mostly "Nobelcon T.V. 1200". I've found 1 Elna so far. Anyone...
  5. drfous

Allo DigiOne Signature player

Can I ask what battery setup you are using there? Thx
  6. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

Here's the bigger list with caps. a little hard to read with all the columns. I'd caution against using my list of WIMA - many of them were too large or leads too short. This was my first time using them and I should have done more homework on their configuration options. Tom - I just went...
  7. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

a lot
  8. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

Using the Seven power amp section with a Schiit Freya tube pre. wow. Really terrific combination. The biggest improvement I’ve noted is the sound stage is much more 3D. The bass extension is significantly improved as well.
  9. drfous

Another 9090 Recap Restore

I will definitely do more research before I make a decision on the outputs. Greater output really isn't a issue for this amp. I can't hardly turn the volume much past 9 o'clock.
  10. drfous

On the outputs, my assumption is that newer components would be lower noise with greater output and reliability. If I'm giving up sound quality, that would make me reconsider.
  11. drfous

Multi turn pots for sure on the driver board. Thinking about replacing the outputs and other signal path transistors.
  12. drfous

Simple enough. Thx Need to start the parts list. lol
  13. drfous

Thanks for the advice. One board at a time is definitely the plan of attack. It worked well for the Seven I did a couple of months back. I have a variac, isolation transformer and DBT. Have been using all of those. Diodes is a big question for me. I have no working knowledge of what's a...
  14. drfous

First, any advice welcome! I'm going to start down the path of recapping and restoring a 9090 I've had for a few years. Everything on it works and sounds great, but given it's age I think the sound will benefit from a recap and maybe prevent any issues down the road. I've watched XRayTonyB's...
  15. drfous

Ultimate Step-down transformer? (120v to 100v)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanyo-Step-Down-Transformer-Model-TSD-15U-100V-Output/133140950425?hash=item1effd1ad99:g:X0MAAOSwOWNdUcCy
  16. drfous

Sansui Eight help - hum on one channel

I’m in the recap all the old electrolytics camp. they can measure fine and still be leaky.
  17. drfous

Best 70's Sansui middle of line receivers?

I picked up the Seven based on lots reading around here. Lots of similar design to the Eight Deluxe at less than half the price from what I've seen. I'm loving the Seven at the moment. Problem is - now i want to give the 8D a try to see what all the fuss is about. lol
  18. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

Is it safe to assume there are no fusible resistors in the Seven? Looking at the SM, I don't see any indicated as such. Maybe I'm missing something.
  19. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

The case came out better than I expected. It had several nicks, scratches and stains. Did a light sanding with an random orbit sander and hit it with 6 coats of danish oil with a wet sanding with the oil in between a couple of the later coats.
  20. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

Really happy with how this came out. It sounds fantastic to my ears. And I think it's a looker in a 70s kind of way.
  21. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

Thanks, I'll give that a look this weekend.
  22. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

I'm going to use this receiver most often with the Aux input. Sadly, when Aux is selected the dial goes dark and only the Aux indicator is lit up. I know it's just cosmetics, but I like the glow. I tried looking at the schematic and selector switch to try to identify where I could tap into...
  23. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

Some after pics of the boards and stuff.
  24. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

Thanks for that explanation. It makes perfect sense. I did buy the trimmers when I put in the order for the other parts. I'm waiting on a backordered transistor for that same board. Once that transistor comes in, I'll replace the trimmers at the same time.
  25. drfous

Sansui Seven Rehab

Just figured out I could swing the protector block out by snipping a couple of tie wraps and unsoldering the black ground wire. Piece of cake after that. Another board down. I left the relay. It's working. Question: I see lots of recommendations to replace the VRs. I've had no problem...
Back
Top Bottom