Search results

1. Drum

Fixing up a Yamaha T-1

I really like the performance of my t-80, but I wanted something with that analog glow, so I grabbed a T-1 that needed some work. Bonus is the green and black goes well with my Onkyo M504, I have replaced the bulbs and painted the tuning and signal strength indicators (came out well I...
  2. Drum

PSB Stratus mini - thought it was a score, but bad tweeter.

I live in a small town and rarely do any good buys show up locally. I was surprised the other day when a pair of PSB Stratus mini's showed up. They were in decent shape and included the stands (in fair shape). The owner said they were working perfectly when he put them away 5 years ago. I...
  3. Drum

New to me 901's. What is up with the eq?

Was doing some charity work a couple of years ago for a service organization, and noticed some 901's in the basement. I bugged them off and on about buying them, but nobody seemed to know who could give me permission to buy them. Finally got it worked out today and picked them up. They were...
  4. Drum

Do Songs With Distortion Drive You Nuts?

I was playing "walk on the wild side" recently at a decent volume and when the bass at the beginning plays you can hear the strings buzz. Every time I play this (and other songs with distortion) it drives me crazy. I somehow always feel I need to turn the volume down to stop the distortion...
  5. Drum

Nad 1020 recap

I have been using an NAD 1020 preamp for 6 months or so and have been very happy with it. The sound has been good, I like the fairly simple approach, yet it still has the adjustents I like to have. It is nearly passive in fact I can turn it off, and my system will still work at a low volume...
  6. Drum

Diode equivalent

I lost a diode that i had taken out of a tuner and can't seem to find a replacement. Does anybody know what would be equivalent to an RD10EB2. I can't find any info. Thanks
  7. Drum

Yamaha t-7 issues

Just picked up a Yamaha t-7 that wasn't working. It looks like the battery leaked all over the circuit board and caused issues. It powers up partially. My first two questions are 1 - Can I replace the nicad battery with a nimh or lithium ion? Not sure if the charging circuit will damage the...
  8. Drum

Yamaha T-80 sudden failure

I was listening to my Yamaha T-80 and suddenly there was no sound. At first I thought the station had gone out but realized I had nothing on any station. I turned it off and back on and it worked for a day. Then it went out again. This time I only revived it for a few hours and then I could...
  9. Drum

EPI 202 Restoration / Repair

I have some EPI 202's that I am trying to get sorted out and have a few questions. Two of the tweeters are bad. Am I correct in assuming that these cannot be repaired without taking off the linen inverted dome? Seems like if I cut the glue around the magnet, then the leads will snap as i...
  10. Drum

Yamaha T-80 Repair Hacks

Just picked up a Yamaha T-80 for $10.33 plus $12 for shipping. I know it isn't a T-85 but it seems to preform very well and the price was certainly right. It pulls in stations better than my NAD and sounds better as well with more adjustment. I had no idea that FM could carry such deep bass -...
  11. Drum

Nakamichi SR-3A 4ohm ?

Was looking at the Nak SR-3A and reading about he highly regarded Stasis design by Nelson Pass (says licensed by Threshold Corporation right on the back of the receiver). Then My eye was drawn to the binding posts and noticed it says 8-ohm loads or higher. What gives. Shouldn't this thing be...
  12. Drum

Onkyo TX-3000 Tuner question

One thing I always liked about the tuning knob on my TX-3000 is that you could spin it and it would coast all the way from one end of the dial to the other. You didn't even have to try that hard. They promoted this feature at the time (can't remember what they called it - if anything) maybe...
  13. Drum

Proton D940 impressions.

Just grabbed this for a nice price recently. It was listed as parts or repair only so I wound up getting it for $38. I noticed that the jumpers for pre/power amp were missing in the pictures. Sure enough when it arrived I put in some jumpers and it works perfectly. Nice little receiver...
  14. Drum

Question on using NAD receiver as a pre-amp

I have been using my NAD 7240 as a pre-amp for my Onkyo M504 and noticed that the NAD seems to get hotter than it does when used as an amp. I did a little research and found a recommendation that the main in rca inputs should be shorted to shut off the amp. Is this a real thing? Never...
  15. Drum

Strange issues with NAD 7240

Well I enjoy my NAD 7240 so much (after diagnosing problems thanks to members here) that I got another one. Unfortunaely this one has much bigger issues. Symptoms Very low sound from any input - about 60 db at full volume. Did some tests. Used pre-amp on another amp and nothing changed...
  16. Drum

Longevity of amps / receivers

I am curious about the longevity of solid state gear and how it is affected. I have a 1980 Onkyo TX-3000 at work (and an NAD 7240PE from the late 80's). I bought the Onkyo new and the NAD is a recent purchase. The Onkyo is in the conference room (with Polk monitor 4's) and the NAD is in my...
  17. Drum

Help with NAD 7240

I just picked up an NAD 7240 from goodwill - my first NAD. So far I like it very much but it has an issue with occasional popping and gives a tuner error. Issue 1 -Sometime (1 in 10 starts) when I first turn on the unit the display shows a 0 and the tuner does not work at all it just puts...
Back
Top Bottom