Search results

1. CZ4A

Excuse Me, I'm looking for schematics for a reel-to-reel by Stuzzi

Today I purchased my first reel-to-reel tape recorder, a Stuzzi Tricorder 578W made in Austria. It's all original and came with a reel of unused Kodak tape. The tubes I could access (ECC83, ECC85, ECL82) all test fine and it powers up, but it won't actually take up the tape. I'd like to find a...
  2. CZ4A

ID of amp using Western Electric transfos

Yesterday I purchased this ampf rom a Craigslist seller. I didn't take a close look at it at first, except I noticed two switches marked with TV/FM and FM/RP (record player?) and a single knob next to them. The seller knew nothing about it except it was missing tubes so it didn't work. I figured...
  3. CZ4A

T-Funk Tube ID

I recently bought some tubes from Craigslist. Mostly 12AX7s, but among them I found this Telefunken dual triode. There is a shield mounted diagonally between the triode plates. Unfortunately, most of the writing (including the designation) is gone. There is no Philips etch code but it does have...
  4. CZ4A

Rectifier tube vertical mounting requirement

I am in the process of recapping and restoring my Sano 16WR guitar amp, which mounts its tubes horizontally. I am also adding the tube rectifier back to it in place of some diodes. When looking at datasheets for the 5Y3 and 5T4, I noticed they say that the tubes should be mounted vertically, or...
  5. CZ4A

Sano 16WR Guitar Amp Questions

I picked up a Sano 16WR guitar amp yesterday. This amp is something of a rare bird. It's similar to the Ampeg Reverberocket. It's in good overall shape and it works (and sounds good!), but it's due for a refurbishment. The 5Y3GT rectifier tube and socket were removed and replaced by diodes and...
  6. CZ4A

Getting cigarette smell out of an amp

I recently purchased a used Fender Vibro Champ XD as my first guitar amp to go along with my first guitar. It is in very good condition and sounds great, even at "barely audible over the strings" volume. However, something I didn't notice until I got it home was that it smells of cigarettes. It...
  7. CZ4A

Issues calibrating Triplett 3423

I have a Triplett 3423 tube tester. I am currently running into a couple of issues with calibration that I believe are related. The 3423 has two calibration procedures- one from 1953 that uses a 7A5 bogey tube, and a later procedure that uses a baseline 3423. I am using the 53 calibration with a...
  8. CZ4A

Need help identifying a transformer with built-in octal socket

I'm going through my stash of electronics parts and among them is this big transformer. It only has "PC-10109" "306112" and a logo in between for parts markings. I'm not finding any info when I Google those numbers (likely the PC number is the part number and 306112 the serial). Someone wrote on...
  9. CZ4A

Any ways to find the outer foil of caps w/o an oscilloscope?

I picked up some caps (Sprague 716P Orange Drops, Sprague 194P Yellow Jackets, and Pyramid PGIX [Vitamin Q]) to try out in some of my equipment and began reading about outer foil orientation. None of these caps have foil end indicators. I currently don't have an oscilloscope. While I am on the...
  10. CZ4A

Fisher 400 mod questions

I picked up a Fisher 400 (serial 22###) last week at a local antique store. The case in fair condition and the chassis is in good condition. All the tubes are original except one of the 7868s and all tested strong for emissions except two of the 7868s. The rear section needs cleaning, the dial...
  11. CZ4A

Replacing 6X5 with solid state 5U4 in test equipment

I have an Eico 950B capacitor bridge that I have recapped that uses a 1629 magic eye tube as its display and the infamous 6X5GT rectifier tube. I'd like to get the 6X5 out of the circuit so I don't have to worry about it potentially damaging the transformer. I also have three 1960s Transitron...
  12. CZ4A

Have a pair of JJ KT88s. Need quad. What do?

One of the four Shuguang KT88-98s in my Yaqin MC-100B amp has died. The previous owner of the amp also sold me a pair of JJ blue glass KT88s, matched by TubeDepot. He was using them in a mixed setup (1x JJ and 1x Shuguang per channel). I'd like to try a different type of KT88 than the Shuguangs...
  13. CZ4A

T-S 6550 biasing in Yaqin MC-100B

I have a quad of strong, vintage Tung-Sol 6550s (marked RCA) that I want to use in my bone-stock Yaqin MC-100B. I've seen posts here and elsewhere saying the T-S 6550s have been used in this amp before, but no mention of bias voltage. The factory-recommended bias voltage is 0.55V (even says so...
  14. CZ4A

Too much juice into Yaqin MC-100B, or just bad luck?

I recently bought a used Yaqin MC-100B that came with all the stock tubes. I've rolled the 6SN7s and 12AX7s with vintage tubes I have stashed away. Unfortunately, the filament died on one of my rolled 12AX7s (a Telefunken smooth-plate, no less. Grrr...). After the T-Funk half-died I put the...
  15. CZ4A

Improvments for the HF-81 phono preamp section

I am in the process of recapping my Eico HF-81. I have read that the built-in phono preamp section leaves a lot to be desired. For now, I am just doing a 1-for-1 replacement of the electrolytics and resistors with film caps and Kiwame resistors. Besides component upgrades, what else has worked...
  16. CZ4A

Onkyo anti-skate not staying in position

The anti-skate mechanism of my Onkyo CP-1015A isn't staying in the place where I set it. As you can see from the pictures it is a slider mechanism. The slider pulls on a spring that in turn pulls on the tonearm. The spring pulls the slider almost to the "off" position once the stylus hits the...
  17. CZ4A

Experiences with upgrading M93E cart with M91E stylus

I just received a spare headshell for my Onkyo CP-1015A. It came with a Shure M93E cart and stylus mounted up, but the cantilever is twisted so the stylus is pointed at an angle. The cart appears to still be working - I tested it with a multimeter and loaded it to the tonearm and wiggled the...
  18. CZ4A

Question for B&O linear tracking TT owners

I've got my Beogram TX up and running and it sounds great, but there is one annoying problem I have encountered- during quiet passages or in between tracks, I can hear a dull "thunk" sound through the speakers. The thunk happens when the motor that moves the tonearm carriage spins up. If the...
  19. CZ4A

No sound from left channel of Beogram TX

I received a MMC3 cartridge for my Beogram TX turntable. I've tested it with a couple of my EPs and LPs, but unfortunately I am not getting any sound from the left channel. The right channel sounds nice but obviously I'm going to need both channels working. I've used Deoxit on the cartridge pins...
  20. CZ4A

B&O MMC3 vs. Soundsmith SMMC3

My used B&O Beogram TX needs a cartridge as it did not have one when I bought it. I'm zeroing in on the MMC3 because it seems like the best balance of performance and price compared to the cheaper MMC4 and much more expensive MMC1-2. I've seen an MMC2 or two in my price range on...
  21. CZ4A

Does a Beogram TX need a preamp?

I recently purchased a B&O Beogram TX, my first turntable. It needs a drive belt, cartridge, and for a couple of unglued panels to be glued back on but it is otherwise complete. The other functions seem to work fine and the drive motor spins. I'm more familiar with tube electronics. For an SS...
  22. CZ4A

Best value binding posts

While I was recapping one of my AR TSW-710 crossover networks, I ended up snapping one of the binding posts. Apparently I didn't clean enough solder from the threads and my thread tap set was AWOL when I needed it. So now I'm looking for new binding posts. Right now I'm not looking to get...
  23. CZ4A

AM antenna for Fisher Model 90-T Anniv. Tuner

When looking at photos of Fisher Model 90-T Anniversary tuners, I noticed that my 90-T is missing its AM antenna. Here is a picture of it on a recent eBay listing. I've noticed it has an SPDT switch (according to the Sams Photofact) that says "EXT" and "LOOP." What purpose would that switch...
  24. CZ4A

AR TSW-710 questions

I purchased a pair of Acoustic Research TSW-710 speakers today. This is my first set of home theater speakers. They are in pretty good shape but do require a little bit of reconditioning. Specifically, on one speaker, there are holes in the two woofers' foams and the tweeter dome has a dent. All...
  25. CZ4A

Substitute for PCC86 in Model 90-T Anniversary

I bought a Fisher Model 90-T Anniversary tuner as a recap project. It also needs a couple of new tubes. One of the tube sockets is marked on the chassis as "V50067." I found a service manual that says the V50067 is a PCC86. I think it is the FM RF amplification tube. The PCC86 is pretty much...
Back
Top Bottom