Search results

1. lakeeffect

Marshall Tucker has died

Marshall Tucker has died. Not the band but it's namesake, the man for whom it was named. When the band first got together in South Carolina, they needed a name. Somebody found a tag, or a business card, for a blind piano tuner named Marshall Tucker at their practice facility. The rest is...
  2. lakeeffect

Capacitors are expensive :)

I finally found a little Magnavox 8600 at a price I could tolerate. I've wanted to put together a tube amp like the DGSE1 for a long time now. Searching out the parts I'll need, I was a bit taken aback to find I'll have over $40 invested in the 3 power supply caps alone (replacing the can cap in...
  3. lakeeffect

Looking for help on an Onkyo TA-2055 cassette deck

I bought this deck in the early 80's and it served me well back in the day. Pulled it out of storage recently and replaced the idler tire, cleaned it up, and hit the switches with Deoxit. It worked quite well for several weeks of light use, then the tape transport became intermittent again. FF...
  4. lakeeffect

Sourcing obsolete transformers

My question concerns sourcing obsolete parts. Passive components are easy, but what about something like a transformer? Number of taps, footprint, etc. Is there a source for cross-referencing this type of thing. If you were to find a vintage receiver with a bad power transformer, what's the plan?
  5. lakeeffect

Do damaged vinyl albums hurt a stylus?

Maybe a dumb question but it's bugged me as long as I've owned vinyl - can a badly damaged album have an adverse effect on a stylus or cartridge during playback? I grew up when vinyl was king and I've always treated mine like museum pieces. Normal folks weren't as OCD and their albums got...
  6. lakeeffect

Marantz 2226 Signal Strength Meter not working

I'm bringing some vintage equipment back to life and I recently went over my Marantz 2226 receiver. DeoxIT on all the pots, new lamps, clean and lube, etc, and it's working great - except for one thing - the radio signal strength meter does not move. (The FM tuning meter was also out but came...
  7. lakeeffect

BIC Venturi Formula 1 rehab

I've got some BIC Venturi Formula 1's that I bought back in the mid-70's that I want to rehabilitate. I always liked their sound and I have a sentimental attachment to them as well. I know that they're not terribly sophisticated nor sought-after pieces, so I want to be sensible in my approach...
  8. lakeeffect

Hello from NE Ohio

I've been lurking for a while but now that I've decided to breathe new life into some old audio equipment that I've neglected for far too long, I thought I would join the ranks of the, well, non-lurking. I acquired my equipment in the 1970's and 80's so, like me, it's now vintage :) I'm an...
Back
Top Bottom