Search results

1. bberkom

Sherwood S-5000 restoration

Power tubes matched? If happens with only power tubes in place, it could be mismatched pairs per channel or bad filter cap for the B+, if it's 120 Hz
  2. bberkom

SX-880 High voltage rail

Main caps are good. No ripple of note. Everything seems to work and measure fine otherwise. There is around a 2.5 VAC difference between the legs of the transformer secondary feeding the rectifier, so that alone might be the issue, just an imbalance from the transformer. My line voltage is a...
  3. bberkom

SX-880 High voltage rail

Working on an SX-880 receiver for a friend that had a bad diode in the preamp power supply. Fixed that, and it works and sounds great now. But my positive rail is around 10VDC high. Not sure why. Main negative rail is on spec at around -48 VDC but the positive rail is around +58 VDC. Bias...
  4. bberkom

5002 class h

It depends on how the power transformer primary or primaries are set up, and a schematic would really be helpful to determine how to convert it if possible. I'd imagine it could be done, but more info would be needed. Even photos of the internals where the power cord enters the amp and connects...
  5. bberkom

Is it possiblefor a bad speaker to cause a fuse to blow in amp?

If you dropped it, woofer could be frozen if the magnet shifted. I'd make sure the woofer is moving freely by pushing gently in on it.
  6. bberkom

Magnavox Flea Power: Getting More Out Of The 8600 Series - A Lot More!

Got it, came up with around 20-21dB using this method, seems about right.
  7. bberkom

Magnavox Flea Power: Getting More Out Of The 8600 Series - A Lot More!

What is the approx gain of the DGSE circuit? Looked but couldn't find a spec anywhere. Have a couple amps based on this design and love them.
  8. bberkom

Long USB cord or long RCA's?

I would also prefer longer RCA's to a longer USB in most cases. You could always get a 3m USB extension cable and shorter audio cables and see if you have any issues or notice a difference. May end up being about the same, especially if the Onkyo input is easy enough to drive.
  9. bberkom

What was Sony's best sounding speaker ever? Vintage and Newer

I have the SS-3300, and those cabs are about the right size but different finish entirely. If you popped the back and let us know what drivers are in there, that would help. May be some nice early Pioneer drivers in there like the 3300's
  10. bberkom

Any thoughts on where I can pick up new RCA outputs for this preamp?

This suggestion is probably worth trying first and may be the easiest option that can preserve originality. This was my first thought when I saw your photos.
  11. bberkom

If I hook up two bookshelfs and a center channel, will music play through the center channel too?

If you're talking an AVR with a separate speaker output labeled Center, then the processing modes will determine which speakers get what audio. If you're talking just adding a center speaker to a stereo receiver, it won't play dialog well just because it's called a center speaker.
  12. bberkom

With Oppo dead, what are the recommendations for Universal players now

I have some experience with the Reavon players, and I'd stay away for the price. Sony or Panasonic.
  13. bberkom

SET Curious

Look at the Pass First Watt amps and clone builds. If you're needing 20 or so watts, they're solid state, but very sweet.
  14. bberkom

Strange hdmi problem

Keep in mind that AV receivers and processors are more computer than analog audio device. They can get hung up in processing in a variety of ways, especially if HDMI handshakes aren't completed nicely. A hard reboot can cure a lot, in the same way a computer responds to a reboot every so often.
  15. bberkom

Are my speakers the "weak spot" in my setup?

No, I had the tsi400s and have had Monitor 7s I recapped and put the nicer RDO tweeters in. 7s all day.
  16. bberkom

Pure class A, amps

Love my DIY Pass Aleph J build. And my SE 2a3 and el84 tube amps. Sound amazing on the right speakers.
  17. bberkom

I think I found a “Preamp” I like for my Gillespie Tube Amp

I use a McCormack passive pre with my Dave Gillespie SE design tube amp. Great combo.
  18. bberkom

Budget Dac USB Cables

I use some of the Pangea cables and like them. I don't think they sound any certain way, but they're well made and have worked well.
  19. bberkom

Yamaha C-2 component leak

Looks like burned up glue to me. It should chip off. What do the traces on the solder side look like?
  20. bberkom

Bluetooth Earbud Recommendation

I have the Sony WF-1000XM3 and would get the newer M4 if I had to get a new pair. I got mine on refurb for cheap and love them.
  21. bberkom

Bad Sine Wave

May have a dirty or loose tube socket if they're older? One output tube with a bad contact?
  22. bberkom

a/d/s L710 value?

These sound similar to a pair I have, mine are pretty presentable when cleaned up. I paid around $300 for them.
  23. bberkom

Advice on replacing fusible resistor - 160ohm value not available

I see lots of 160 ohm 1/4W metal film resistors that could do the job for you.
  24. bberkom

Advice on replacing fusible resistor - 160ohm value not available

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/Film-Resistors/Metal-Film-Resistors-Through-Hole/_/N-7gz41?P=1z0wnk8Z1y85rqhZ1yzbpod
  25. bberkom

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

Sony SS-3300
Back
Top Bottom