Search results

1. mnmmt

Mc225 transformer oddity

Hi all. I just got a mc225, and in taking a look at it I see that it has two transformer cans marked as power transformers and only one marked as an output transformer! I took the bottom cover off and it appears to be completely untouched inside. The wires coming out of the mislabeled can...
  2. mnmmt

HH Scott 223 Amp Questions

Hi all: I just picked up this super clean, super simple HH Scott 223 mono amp. It is in fabulous condition. I picked it up on a whim after having sold an Audio Research VT series amp (too hifi/sterile sounding), and having sold a Heathkit EL34 before that (too mushy sounding). I figure maybe...
  3. mnmmt

Tannoy Cheviot underwhelming?

Hi all: I am a long-time Tannoy fan, and my main speakers are/were a set of Tannoy S8 that I recapped, and which sound phenomenal. I just got a pair of original 70's Cheviots in a trade. The cabinets are beautiful and they were reconed a few years ago with proper cones from Tannoy. The...
  4. mnmmt

MR71 Modification?

Hi all: With all of the extra time around the house lately I've been working on my $90 MR71 find. It was missing the faceplate and knobs and had clearly been dropped, but I took a chance on it. I put in my spare set of tuner tubes, brought it up, and it works. A new optocoupler and some new...
  5. mnmmt

Vintage McIntosh Motherlode in Connecticut

I have no affiliation with the sellers or auction house and am posting this solely as a public service to all of you McIntosh lovers on this forum...
  6. mnmmt

MX114 vs. MX110z imaging

I have owned and used an MX114 for several years, and think it performs very nicely. I've replaced all the electrolytics and the striped "lollipop" caps in it and it sounds good. I have been working on an MX110z, and recently finished replacing electrolytics, coupling, and ceramic caps in it...
  7. mnmmt

MX110z voltages after rebuild--how high is too high?

Hi all: I have a barn-find MX110z that I have been rebuilding over the last year. I rebuilt the power supply with all new electrolytics, replaced the selenium rectifier with a diode bridge, replaced the bumblebees, replaced out of spec resistors, installed a CL-80 thermistor, and installed the...
  8. mnmmt

Matching capacitors in rebuild of second amp?

My main stereo setup is an MX114 with one MC250. I recently picked up a second MC250 that I plan to use either strapped in my main system so I can have 2xMC250, or with my yet-to-be-restored MX110z on a second system. I restored my first MC250 last year, replacing all electrolytics, a dozen...
  9. mnmmt

MX114 power supply slump

I have recapped my MX114, and it sounds great. I noticed that the stereo light (and stereo audio) is intermittent. Reception is always good, and the sound is strong, but on FM it usually starts mono, and then at some point Stereo (and the stereo light) kicks on. I put it on the workbench, and...
  10. mnmmt

MA230 Power Transformer Replacement?

Hi all: In checking out my new-to-me MA230 (that's been sitting for a number of years) in preparation for restoration, I found that the power transformer has a dead-short HV secondary winding, and a suspiciously low resistance (1.1 ohm) primary winding. The transformer appears to be quite a...
  11. mnmmt

Harman Kardon 330c massive DC offset and hum at turn on

Hi all. I have an hk 330c that i love. Over the past couple years it has developed about a 3 second hum with a large (6 volts) DC offset on both channels at turn on. The hum disappears after about 3 seconds, and the dc offset reduces to about 14mv after 5-10 seconds. Once this dc spike...
  12. mnmmt

Faderlube F5 or F100?

Hi all: Quick question--I am paranoid about ruining unobtanium pots in my Mcs and know never to use cleaning solvents in them, so is Faderlube F5 okay to use, or should I find some F100 just to be safe? Thanks, Matt
  13. mnmmt

MC250 Autoformer ground problem?

Hi all: Again, thanks for the years of experience posted on these forums. I am new to Mc, but am learning quickly. I got an MC250 with a blown channel (it was essentially a throw-in on a mint MX114 I got), and have been rehabbing it. I replaced the outputs and drivers and all of the...
  14. mnmmt

MC250 differential pair question

I've been lurking on this forum for several months now, and have been working through my restoration of a recently-acquired MC250 with all of the help I've found searching through the forums. Thank you all for your posts over the years--they have been an immense help! I have restored several...
Back
Top Bottom