Search results

1. jwrosenthal

Western Electric alive and well

This may be old news to some but I just saw this. I can’t afford $600 tubes, but this is inspiring that someone in the US is taking us seriously. http://www.audioxpress.com/news/western-electric-to-reintroduce-famous-300b-electron-tube
  2. jwrosenthal

Bypassing balance and gain pots

Greetings guys, I have a buddy (not a member of AK- boo), who has an old EAR preamp and matching mono blocks, They are wonderful except the parts they used back then were off the shelf shite (think the era of Lucas in Jaguar). Luckily the volume pot is an Alps black beauty- the only part they...
  3. jwrosenthal

15" Passive subs to go with Urei's

Hey Guys, So I need some advise on large drivers, and this may be a pro-audio question but AK folks know everything and this is for my house. I have had a pair of Urei 811's as the cornerstone of my primary system for about 6 years. I ran them on the factory 6500 amp and used a Bryston 4B-ST...
  4. jwrosenthal

Replacing volume pot

Hey guys, The Noble pot in my Music Reference Rm5 is flaking out. It was doing the occasional corduroy pants sound and now it's dropping a channel entirely and it takes me flicking or whacking the volume control sometimes to get it to come back. I hit the solder joints under the pot thinking...
  5. jwrosenthal

Berning TF-10 MC active loading

Grettings all, So I took delivery of my TF-10 last week and it really is an awesome preamp- won’t bash anything else I own, but I will say it’s the best preamp I have. I reached out to David before I bought it and asked about the “H” modification which designated one of the 3 phono inputs as a...
  6. jwrosenthal

Why electrolytics in power supply

Hey guys, Researching recapping several pieces of my vintage gear (some working perfectly, some not) and I keep seeing that electrolytics are still being used in the power supplies as opposed to the fancier film and poly caps like I have used in Audio section or speaker crossovers. Why are...
  7. jwrosenthal

MR71 Magic Eye and LED upgrade

Just wanted to share my evening project. I had a very weak tuning eye and bought the replacement 6HU6 on eBay- it was NOS Amperex, nothing Mc specific. And despite my lamps and gels being in fine shape, the white paint on the festoon lamps was scaling and I knew the heat was not doing the gels...
  8. jwrosenthal

MR71 refresh

Hey guys, popping over from the tube audio forum. I posted a query about refreshing my MR71's over there but got no response so figured I would ask here. I have 2 MR71's, that have been sitting on my shelf for almost 1/2 a decade and lord knows how long before that. I brought them up on a...
  9. jwrosenthal

MR-71 advise

Hey guys, Still plowing through my basement storage and on the bench this weekend are 2 Mac MR-71’s. Both are all original and never updated. The first one I got from the original owner with a MA5100 and it works perfectly-truly amazing. Tuning is strong and it’s pulling in stations from 50...
  10. jwrosenthal

ARC Dual 51 cooling fans?

Hey Guys, So I am trying to look at my options for how to set-up a system of cooling my D51. It gets fairly hot as they all do (it is biased low at around 45Ma for longer tube life and less heat), and I have it on a butcher block cutting board on a rug (factory feet keep the chassis about...
  11. jwrosenthal

Meters on an ST70?

So I have 2 beater ST70's that are great candidates for pimping out. I would probably paint the chasis since the chrome is shot and started thinking about other cosmetic tweaks I would want. The one that I would really love would be bias meters (ala Marantz 8/9) built into the front octal...
  12. jwrosenthal

More Who's that mod Dynaco ST70

So I also have this one, which does work perfectly. A few of the screws on the binding strips on the back are stripped but those are easy to replace. This thing has a lot going on including individual tube bias. Driver tubes are 6cg7 and 12au7 Anyone know if this is a familiar mod?
  13. jwrosenthal

Dynaco Pas3 guess that mod!

Hey guys, Taking the snow day to plow through the pile of tube gear that's been hogging up valuable rack space in my basement. I got this with a stack of heavily modified Dynaco stuff several years ago FM4, a pair of nasty and butchered MKIII's (one worked kinda, one didn't- neither would hold...
  14. jwrosenthal

Dynaco FM3

Hey Guys, me again. So slowly plowing my racks of accumulated gear (I swear it just follows me home) that have been sitting for years and assessing what I want to keep, sell, or just chuck. I got an FM3 with a stack of Dyna gear that I brought up on a variac and it's dead as a doornail. No...
  15. jwrosenthal

Dynamo PAS-3 blowing bulbs

Greetings all, I have a completely unmolested PAS3 which is working perfectly in almost every respect. The volume pot is not tracking L-R properly unless at full gain (on tape out to another pre, the channel balance is perfect) which is no surprise, but the more alarming issue is that the...
  16. jwrosenthal

Audio Research SP-3 dillema

Greetings all, been a while since I have posted. I have a friend who has offered me his minty clean ARC SP-3 (tagged as "SP-3 with no A or A1 other than an A next to the serial number) and D51 for a very good deal -not a steal but very fair considering the value of the preamp alone is worth it...
  17. jwrosenthal

Mx113 volume pot issue

Hi guys, I know this issue has been beaten to death but nothing recent has been posted about any new findings. I have an mx113 (think it's the same switch as the c26 and not the c28 which is different) on which I had not noticed in the past tracking issues with the volume pot as I had been...
  18. jwrosenthal

ARC Sp-10 weak channel

Greetings guys, I recently acquired an sp-10 and have been loving it for the past month, the best preamp I have ever owned. I have only run it on phono since I got it and it has performed flawlessly. Tonight I decided to play a CD (I plugged in the CD player when I got it but hadn't used it...
  19. jwrosenthal

St70 mod identification please.

Hey guys, Just picked up a fairly ratty but heavily modified st70 from a friend who got it years ago in a trade deal with a bunch of stuff and he knows nothin about it. I want to know what mod/kit it is so I can get a schematic or know more about it. It uses an elevated driver board with 4...
  20. jwrosenthal

ARC M100 care and feeding

Greetings all, I recently became the proud steward of an ARC SP-10 and a pair of M100's. they had been in storage since the original owner passed away about a decade ago and I got them with boxes and all paperwork. They had all been retubed by ARC shortly before being taken out of service (I...
  21. jwrosenthal

Krell PAM-5

Greetings guys, A friend gave me his Krell PAM-5 preamp. He had the matching power amp many years ago which died and was sent to the audio graveyard in the sky and he lost the power supply in a move so it's just the preamp with no way of powering it. Are power supplies available for...
  22. jwrosenthal

Beogram 3000 belt

Greeting all, I recently got a B&O Beogram 3000 (5231-1973 production) table in a lot of partially or non working tables. It is in excellent condition and had the standard B&O service issues which were resolved quickly. It has an Sp-12 cart on it and the factory round belt (Carmel in color)...
  23. jwrosenthal

Nakamichi MR-2 speed issue

Greetings guys, Just had a load of semi-dead equipment dumped in my lap and 2 of the pieces are a pair of MR-2's. Both apparently are suffering from the bad pitch control issues that seems to be pathological on these decks but very little has been written it seems about how to either repair...
  24. jwrosenthal

JVC VL-8 anti-skate weight

Hi Guys, I recently got the aforementioned table in exchange for repairing a customers Teac R2R. I mentioned that I liked it so he offered it in exchange for the service. It is a spectacular table and cleaned up like new (with about 4 hours into it to remove 30 years of grime). It is...
  25. jwrosenthal

Emud console restoration

Greetings guys, A friend of mine has had an Emud 932 stereo console in her house as furniture for the past 10 years (she bought it in an antique store for $50) and finally got the bug to have it running. I brought it home (it's actually very compact) and got it fired up on the variac. The...
Back
Top Bottom