Search results

1. justjed2

Can an Amplifier make this huge difference in sound?

It's a moot point, I think. My system would not benefit from a power cord that cost as much as all of the electronics in my stack.
  2. justjed2

Fluance RT85 vs Uturn Orbit Theory

It's just my opinion, but if I were looking, I'd get the Theory, with the 2M Bronze. It will take the Blue and Red styli as well, simply by changing the VTF. I also quite like the magnesium tonearm, and the hardwood base. I don't consider it overpriced, in the least. The Fluance RT85 is a good...
  3. justjed2

Which Choice would you Make?

If it was my money, I'd go with the Technics. While it has some retro features I'd never use, the manual of arms is not much different from the vintage DD I'm using currently. But the 'G' has the latest motor and drive technology, comes with much better parts and build quality, and is new, with...
  4. justjed2

Choices choices choices...

Just kidding. Are you looking for long-term speakers, or just trying stuff?
  5. justjed2

Choices choices choices...

Minimus 7s and a sub!
  6. justjed2

Best RCA and Speaker cables for my vintage pioneer blue line rack

I wired my entire system with Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects, and 10 White Speaker cables, several years ago. I haven't had a cable related issue since. Worked just as well with my vintage gear as they do with my new equipment. One less variable, one less thing to worry about. I consider the...
  7. justjed2

Speaker country of origin, do you have a preference (England, US, Canada, Japan, China, Germany, etc.)

Good sound is good sound, regardless of where the speakers are made.
  8. justjed2

Speaker country of origin, do you have a preference (England, US, Canada, Japan, China, Germany, etc.)

The Kendall is basically an updated Energy RC-30, a well regarded speaker in its own right. And it's the first metal dome tweeter I actually like. There's no glare, no harshness, it's just clean and smooth. And it doesn't take much power to hear them sing! The second-gen Kendall is being made in...
  9. justjed2

First-gen Kendall towers, from the new KLH Audio. Rated down to 25 Hz, and 96dB efficient.
  10. justjed2

I prefer US made, for vintage speakers. That said, my current mains are from China, and I couldn't care less, They're very nicely built, they sound as good as any speaker I've heard in a real system in a real room, and the price was quite reasonable for the quality. I'd recommend them to anybody.
  11. justjed2

Nagra enters the Hi-End Reference Turntable Market

I see nothing that offends my sensibilities in any way, and I can appreciate it for what it is. More than I'd ever be likely to spend, even if I did win the lottery, but one never knows.
  12. justjed2

Audio Absurdity Award Goes To....

Absurdities abound in audio. For instance, some would argue that it's absurd that I'd spend $800 for a LOMC cart, and another $1000 for appropriate amplification, when an AT-VM95ML and an ART DJ phono-pre are all I really need to get the most out of my vinyl.....
  13. justjed2

That's why I specified big twins. REAL Sportsters, of any persuasion, have always been thinly disguised racing machines. And when they're not being run hard, they're not happy. They also don't sound like a big twin. I don't consider a 5 or 6 speed electric start belt drive XL to be a real Sportster.
  14. justjed2

ALL turntables are like Harleys. It's the same argument as analog vs digital. Only a fool will deny that the Japanese build better machinery. But a Harley? If ya get it, ya get it. There's nothing quite like the sound of a properly built pre-Evo big twin at idle. Pan, shovel, knuckle, doesn't...
  15. justjed2

Odyssey Amp thread

As @opnly bafld mentioned, the Cyclops is an integrated. The Candela is a line-stage preamp, I just ordered one 3 days ago, to go with my Khartago power amp. Klaus doesn't do email, it's best to just give him a call. He loves to talk audio stuff. I've had the amp for just over a year, it's the...
  16. justjed2

Liquids around electronics is never a good idea. Ask any roadie, or band member, who ever did the bar-band circuits!
  17. justjed2

It appears to have 6 fans, wonder if it runs hot?
  18. justjed2

Yeah, THAT'S what we need..........
  19. justjed2

While the context was completely different, the quote 'If you build it, they will come..." comes to mind. There's a potential customer for practically any idea, and everything is somebody's favorite.
  20. justjed2

I generally prefer a more simplistic approach to electronics design and manufacture, after more than 40 years in the industry, but I can appreciate this amp for what it is. It's just an amplifier, at the end of the day. A relatively simple device, with a relatively simple job, to amplify a...
  21. justjed2

This amp exists as an homage to the idea of over-engineering for its own sake. It seeks to answer the question of just how far you can over-design, and overbuild, a relatively simple device, without introducing excessive audible artifacts, or fatal electrical issues. Troubleshooting that beast...
  22. justjed2

Unless you know the guy, and are gonna be spending a lot of time listening to his system and bitching about how stupid he is, why should you care what the man does for entertainment?
  23. justjed2

No argument there! That's the part about accuracy.
  24. justjed2

Is high power a waste at low to medium volume?

On a pure power amp, they're not volume controls, per se, but rather level controls, setting how much input power is needed to drive the amp to its full capability. They're mostly a feature of pro amps, but my Soundcraftsmen A2502 has both level controls and LED meters, like a pro amp, but RCA...
  25. justjed2

Similar sound, not the SAME sound. Different make, and different value, internal components will handle the signal slightly differently. I can hear the difference between my Odyssey BJT amp and my Soundcraftsmen MOSFET amp, with my current speakers. With my previous pair, the difference was not...
Back
Top Bottom