Search results

1. Mr Creosote

Record Club Pressing?

Occasionally I find albums at my local record store where the guy will label it as a "Record Club Pressing". I remember clubs. I probably still owe a couple some money. But my question is are they inferior/cheaper pressings? Thinner vinyl? Not mastered as well? Etc.. Are they albums to avoid?
  2. Mr Creosote

Wood Headshells...

What are the virtues of wood headshells? I see them from -$20 to $100+. I have to admit, I'm intrigued by them. I've seen them in many types of wood, African hard woods, cherry, Box wood and even bamboo. The woods will have different density and weight. Like different tone woods used in...
  3. Mr Creosote

Tektronix 2235 Oscope repare help

I have a Tektronix 2235 oscope that the clear ring with numbers printed that is around the volts div knob has broken into several pieces. I'm not sure what it's called and haven't been able to find a replacement in my searches. Can any of you point me to replacement parts? What is it called...
  4. Mr Creosote

Black Friday Adds

I'm not sure where to post this, today I'm getting black Friday adds that take up close to a 3rd if my screen. It renders AK pretty useless. Is this a glitch? Or a new add policy?
  5. Mr Creosote

4th of July play list

Add your 4th of July selections Turn it up for this one!
  6. Mr Creosote

Mystery Lyrics Fun

Post a line from a song. The next person to reply needs to Identify the song then post another line. I'll start: Shake your hair girl with your ponytail Takes me right back when you were young
  7. Mr Creosote

Question about setting up a Stanton cartridge.

Cartridge is a 680EE. Specifically setting the tracking force when using a scale. I have a Shure SFG-2 balance scale. Cartridge is specified 3/4 - 1 1/2g + 1g for brush. Shooting for 2g total. When I set the stylus down on the scale the brush hangs off the scale. Do I set it at 2g with the...
  8. Mr Creosote

Can Capicitor Question

A neighbor gave me an old Hoffman radio he had sitting in his garage. He said it worked and plugged it in and it had a hum but it received stations. Hoping to resurrect it, looking at the caps there is a can cap, a 20-20-20uf 450-450-25v, Its 1" dia x 3"tall. I cant find a replacement can...
  9. Mr Creosote

Bad OPT?

I have the OPT out of a home built Fender 5F1. I'm trying to determine if it bad. It's a Hammond 1750c. On the primary side, red and blue wires, I get no continuity across them and shows about 300 ohm. On the secondary side, black and yellow wires, I get continuity across them and about .415...
  10. Mr Creosote

Klipsch in the house!

Cornwall IVs in cherry.
  11. Mr Creosote

Recomendation/opinion Klipsch Forte III

I'm on the fence here considering buying some Klipsch Forte III. I been looking at them for a while now, reading reviews and such. I want some new speakers and I want the last speakers I'll ever buy to complete my audio system. I'd be driving them with a VTA ST-120. I've read wonderful...
  12. Mr Creosote

Suggestions for KG 4.2 stands

My brother recently picked up a pair of KG 4.2s. He was asking me about speaker stands. He had read they improve if you get them up on stands a tilt them back a bit. Since I do woodwork he asked if I could come up with something. I'm not familiar with the 4.2s. So to build stands for them...
  13. Mr Creosote

Whats a good miter saw to buy

I'm looking for a decent miter saw and there are so many choices and styles. What are your suggestion good and bad. Best features to look for?
  14. Mr Creosote

Latest Audio Upgrade

I had an appt with an ENT doctor. My left ear has been bugging me and I was having trouble hearing. Everything sounded like it was coming from my right. The left channel on my stereo sounded muted. I was playing the TV loud. My ears had a build up of wax, especially my left ear. The doc...
  15. Mr Creosote

Teac Dolby Noise Reduction Unit

This unit was given to me recently. Looks to be a stand alone Dolby unit. To add Dolby to a non Dolby tape machine? Would this be of interest/use to a tape user? Or is it a museum piece of 70 hifi gear? I know nothing about it. It came with the manual. I opened it up and it is very clean...
  16. Mr Creosote

VTA PH-14 Help me give it a health chack.

I have a VTA PH-14 phono amp that I built from a kit. Turntable is a Technics SL-1200 mkII with an AT120E Cart. Going into the AUX on a Marantz 2245. Using the PRE out to a VTA ST-120. The PH14 has more gain the the phono stage of the 2245, needing less volume for the same listening levels...
  17. Mr Creosote

Recommend a good entry level oscilloscope

I want to take my bench to the next level and purchase an oscilloscope. I'm an amateur builder. I built a little 6V6 guitar amp, a VTA ST-120, and a VTA PH-14. And I fiddled around with some vintage receivers. Strictly analog work. And I'm interested in some other projects. I have a couple...
  18. Mr Creosote

After spending a day with my PH14, first impressions

First my gear. VTA ST-120 with KT120s. Driven through the Pre out of a Marantz 2245. Technics SL1200 with an AT120E cartridge. Second what I'm trying to accomplish or what my goal is. I want to put together an all tube system. Consisting of the VTA ST-120, the PH14 phono amp and a VTA...
  19. Mr Creosote

VTA PH-14 Phono Amp Build, Who else has built one?

I've had my ST-120 for a few months now and I just love it. So I thought I'd continue down the vacuum tube highway. I ordered a PH-14 phono amp kit from tubes4hifi. I would love to see pictures of other builds. Post them if you have them. Specifically showing how the case is wired up. I...
  20. Mr Creosote

Recomend a headband magnifier for my old eyes

Hi, I want to get a headband/visor magnifier. Like jewelers wear. I'm in my mid 60's, don't see as good as I used to. This would be mostly for soldering. I see the Donegan OptiVisor and similar on Amazon and other places. I have a collection of reading glasses on my bench. Up to a 3x, and...
  21. Mr Creosote

What If..

What if James brown didn't feel good. What if the devil never went to down to Georgia What if Journey stopped believing. Keep em coming...
  22. Mr Creosote

Album sides

What are some of the oddly labeled album sides you've seen? I have at least 3, East side and West side, This side and That side and Up side and Down side.
  23. Mr Creosote

How do you.....

How do you get those gorgeous photos of that wonderful blue glow. I just see a hint of it in my pictures.
  24. Mr Creosote

Are AV interconnect suitable for analog use?

Are 75 ohm AV interconnects suitable for analog use? Like for connecting between a preamp and a power amp or for connecting CD to preamp?
  25. Mr Creosote

Jumping into the pool with you guys

I been pondering this for a while now. Wanting a tube amp. I successfully put together a 5F1 awhile back and I got to thinking I could tackle a kit. After looking at whats out there I saw a lot about the ST70 and a number of kits available. I settled for a VTA ST120. It arrived a few days...
Back
Top Bottom