Search results

1. J

Nakamichi Receivers

I bought a Nakamichi receiver in the early 90s. I'm not sure of the model, though. Anyway, I never had any problems with it. I ended up trading it for a computer a few years later.
  2. J

Why are some vintage collectors/sellers absolutely unhinged?

On the other hand, anyone who has ever sold things online has probably dealt with their fair share of con artists. I'd say the con artists outnumber the real buyers. I won't bother to list all the typical scams, but those guys are out there in full force, every day. When I see a response that...
  3. J

Whats the most u paid 4 a VHS player

I bought a JVC VHS player on New Year's Eve of 1982-83. The store was going out of business and I I think I paid $500. At the time, I thought I was getting a good deal.
  4. J

Hey old guys. What still makes your playlist?

I was born in 1951, so I guess that makes me "old." In my head, though, I'm still 25. Or maybe 15, on a good day. I don't sit around thinking about how old I am. I'm always up for a good time. Anyway, I have Tidal and Qobuz, so I have hundreds of thousands of albums at my disposal. If nothing...
  5. J

High Quality Recordings

It always blows my mind how recordings can differ. Some recordings can be absolute audio nirvana. And yet some sound like crap. Shouldn't they know, by now, how to record and mix an album? Anyway, they've been making good records for decades. The trick is to find them.
  6. J

Insurance for Audio Collection - Seeking Wisdom

One time, I had some nice audio equipment stolen out of a storage locker. Fortunately, it was all insured for "replacement value" and I had a list of all the equipment and serial numbers. Anyway, I found a local stereo dealer who was nice enough to provide me a list of comparable pieces along...
  7. J

Home Theater and My "OK Boomer" lifestyle....

I remember when the big screen TVs first came out. Back in the 80s, I guess. Or at least that's when I first saw the Advent TV. Anyway, back then when you watched a movie, they had the sound aspect down to a science, but the picture was still lacking, I thought. Fast forward a few years and...
  8. J

The Point of diminishing returns an interesting discussion

It's all fun, and I'm pretty sure most audiophiles don't spend money they can't afford to spend.
  9. J

Fond memories of audio as a kid. What did you have?

Wow. My grandfather had the same unit. I think my mom ended up with it, but I'm not sure what happened after that. Funny story: I was vising my grandfather sometime in the early 60s and was playing with his short wave radio early one morning. I picked up some of the early news about the...
  10. J

Going back far enough, I can remember the equipment my grandfather used to have. He worked at Stromberg-Carlson in Rochester NY and he always had some of their stereo equipment around. I guess people still collect it.
  11. J

Now that you've posted that, I think I had something like that one time. Cassettes. I'm not sure when they first came out, but before long, everyone had them. Remember the Sony Walkman?
  12. J

Benchmark DAC and Preamp Issues?

I've got two Benchmark systems. One with the HPA4, DAC3 and the Benchmark amp, and the other with just a DAC3 with the volume control fed into the Benchmark amp. It all works fine. I'll have to look, sometime, at the settings.
  13. J

My dad was a musician and always had a nice system, so I had that to listen to any time I wanted. I guess they bought me a little stereo for my room when I was in grade school. Maybe 1961? Anyway, it was one of those deals that had a fold down turntable and speakers on a hinge that swung out...
  14. J

Inflation and Price Increases

It looks like we're all in for more than a little inflation. The kind that is not transitory. Has anyone noticed price increases lately on new gear? I haven't paid much attention except to note that the KEF R3 speakers I bought a few years ago have now gone up a few hundred dollars a pair...
  15. J

Computer to DAC, what software?

I use Roon Tidal and Qobuz. And I have a Roon Nucleus to store local files.
  16. J

analog vs digital

I have both. There's nothing wrong with a good digital system playing a good music file. But if vinyl is done right, that can sound great. More trouble to get up and turn the record over every 20 minutes or whatever, but you can't really argue with the sound.
  17. J

Reel to Reel Owner = Vietnam Vet?

I'm a "Vietnam Era" vet, but as it happened, I never left the USA during my two years. Anyway, one of my old friends was drafted and ended up being stationed in Worms, Germany in 1971 or so. He still has the setup he bought in the post exchange, including a Teac R2R deck that I helped his...
  18. J

How did you get involved in vintage audio?

I guess I don't distinguish between what's vintage and what isn't. It's all fun.
  19. J

I'm on Strike - From buying Vinyl

RTR. That sounds like fun. I have a nice RTR in storage. Mostly, I think they just look cool. The kind of RTR Macellus Wallace had in Pulp Fiction.
  20. J

I'm on Strike - From buying Vinyl

I have some good streaming equipment and subscribe to Tidal and Qobuz, and I also lave some FLAC files stored locally. But I also have a nice turntable and will buy a record, now and then, if it's music that I actually like a lot. Otherwise, I'll stream it for a while to see if I like it...
  21. J

Roaring '70's--Golden Age of Audio

I wouldn't necessarily equate "materialism" to the love of good audio systems, at least not in the 60s and 70s. Back then, even the so-called "starving" college students found a way to have their music. In fact, that was a thing. A great sounding system for not much money. Advent speakers, for...
  22. J

Roaring '70's--Golden Age of Audio

I dropped out of college for a semester in 1971 and found a job selling stereo equipment. Everything from the high end stuff like McIntosh to the middle of the road consumer stuff like Pioneer and Yamaha and Advent. Lots of reel-to-reel back then as well, although hi-fi cassette decks were just...
  23. J

Audiogon consideration

I understand. I probably wouldn't buy anything that way, either. But what I found is that many people will. I guess it depends on how much they're willing to lose. For example, a $5K item might be a very big deal for most people, but for others, maybe not.
  24. J

Audiogon consideration

I understand your point of view. From my perspective, though, the people could either pay the money the way I wanted them to pay it or, they could not buy the item. I didn't really have to sell anything and I was in no mood to be ripped off. As for the wire transfer? I set up a deal like that...
  25. J

Audiogon consideration

There are simply too many crooks out there to even consider selling anything of value using any form of payment that allows the buyer to complain that the item they bought wasn't as described or whatever. Typically, Paypal will side with the buyer and take the money back, and the seller is out...
Back
Top Bottom