Search results

1. P

EV Aristocrat Upgrade

Annnd, if you look at the bottom of the Features paragraph on the SP12(b) sheet, it indicates exactly what you said. I think I need a drink.
  2. P

EV Aristocrat Upgrade

Hi again, Here is what is throwing me off (the number of components that were available is dizzying!) I have 3 old EV spec sheets below here: According to the spec sheet for the SP12 / SP12B, that component was a coaxial unit, including a midrange and woofer all together (no tweeter)...
  3. P

EV Aristocrat Upgrade

Hi Gordon! Wow, I have read many of your excellent posts before! I guess my point of confusion is stemming from the old EV literature. It seems to indicate that if one were to choose the SP12, they could expand upon that with EITHER the T25A OR the T35, like you should choose one or the...
  4. P

EV Aristocrat Upgrade

Hello Hi-Fi heads, I haven't posted in a while, but now I am here again seeking more advice from the audio gods! I have been slowly upgrading my mono system. About a year ago I got my EV Aristocrat cabinet, which I installed a 12trxb (16 Ohm) into. I did as many tweaks as possible, including...
  5. P

Tandberg Tube Reel to Reels

Hello All, Many lifetimes ago, I bought a used Tandberg tube reel to reel from the original owner (from an ad posted in the newspaper!). It was a stereo machine that had a model number that was something like 15-** I used it for about 7 years and then like an idiot, gave it away in the middle...
  6. P

Does anyone know what a "CD" type resistor was?

Mcgjohn - Chgo area? Me too! Get ready to Roll Back to Phase 3! Enough of that, thanks for the PDF! I did look at those metal foils on Mouser. WOOOW-WEE-wow-WOW! those are pricey!! I generally buy most of my components from Mouser and a company called Just Radios in Canada (that guys got...
  7. P

That's one of the fun things about this hobby is learning new things, especially when it comes to archaic components, such as carbon deposition resistors. Never knew what they were called, but I have seen these before. Most resistors (in old equip) are the standard carbon composition brown...
  8. P

Thank you Tim D. and Arts! I had a feeling it had to do with noise..... What's the best option for low noise today? I've seen many differing opinions on this, some say thin film, some day thick film, some say wire wound??
  9. P

Hello Again! Working on an old Eico preamp, and I am going over the resistors in the parts list of the original manual. There are 9 resistors that have the suffix "CD" after them. I wasn't able find anything doing a Google search as to what "CD" meant, or translates into today. Here is an...
  10. P

Coupling or decoupling platter mats for idler wheel TT's?

Hi again! I recently went on a positive rant about my HK Melody II mono amp, so I will move on from that. But, I did buy the Melody II a new friend! I got very lucky, and got my hands on a Bogen-Presto B61. I took it apart, replaced the whole idler wheel assy. with a perfect arm and METAL...
  11. P

Harman Kardon Melody II (A.K.A A120) Bias and plate balancing adjustents.

I'm Baaaack! I re-tubed the Melody II, using NOS of the following: 2 RCA 12AB5's / 2 GE 5 Star 6202's (6X4) / 1 GE 5 Star 6201(12AT7) / 1 GE 5 Star 12AV6 / and 2 (used but matched) Telefunken 12AX7's (I couldn't find 2 matched GE 5 Star 7025's). Minus the 2 Telefunkens which I had, I spent...
  12. P

Heyo!! I wanted to get back on here and post the updates since a couple people, including Gadget73 were so helpful. Indeed, the power xformer was dead. I've bought several ye olde tyme amps that I have worked on, and NEVER had a dead xformer. I didn't realize that I was just lucky. I've...
  13. P

Annnd, I was getting WAY too ahead of myself.. I finished doing the recap (with the electrolytics of course), and then went to power it up.....… Well, at about 40 to 45 volts on the variac, I started noticing....a smell.....not a burning smell per se, no smoke... Just....a smell....THAT smell...
  14. P

Gadget, I REALLY appreciate this info. This is what I was hoping to get! I have a DMM, and an old 2 channel Tektronix scope. I'll probably try both methods for the plate balance just for the heck of it. DMM set to OHM's and the set needs to be off and discharged. With the scope, the...
  15. P

Hi Gadget, Whew, that sounds a little scary!! I have a copy of the owners manual here. The instructions for the Bias and Plate balance adjustments are on the 3rd page up from the very bottom, on the right hand side under the "Under the chassis controls" heading. For the Bias adjustment, it...
  16. P

Hello all! I picked up a Harman Kardon Melody II (A.K.A A120) in hopes of using it in a mono set up (specifically, with a turntable fitted with a GE VRII pickup). I have the Sams Photofact, and a copy of the original manual. I can say that there are quite a few discrepancies between what's...
  17. P

G.E. UPX-003B phono pre-amp - half wave to full have rectifier

Hello All! Thank you all for the replies. I bought the UPX-003B because about 2 months ago I bought and started using a VR II Pickup. I have many mono LP's, and a ton of 45's. Many of the 45's sounded horrible when I tried paying them on a stereo pickup and eventually gave up on them, but...
  18. P

G.E. UPX-003B phono pre-amp - half wave to full have rectifier

Hello!! I just acquired a General Electric UPX-003B phono pre-amp (to be used with a GE VR II & a GE RPX pick up). I plan on doing a complete overhaul, which would include replacing the (half wave) selenium rectifier. I have read that some people suggest changing the half wave rectifier over...
  19. P

ElectroVoice Wolverine LT-12's - Crossover caps

Helllllo! I just got a set of EV Wolverine LT-12's, and I am trying to determine the values of 2 of the 3 capacitors in the crossover. Before posting here, I tried doing some research, but I am unable to make an exact determination on what these caps are. 1st - I have read a couple of posts...
  20. P

Selenium Rectifier - Conversion kit?

Hi Gadget73, I have the schematic attached here below. I am looking at a Ampex 403 preamplifier. The schematic is actually for a Ampex model 402 (as from what I have read, Ampex did not publish info on the 403 model, so this probably will not be exact). The rectifier on the 403 is mounted out...
  21. P

Selenium Rectifier - Conversion kit?

Hi Everyone! Unfortunately, I am very much a "Drop In Replacement" kind of person (which, probably tells a little bit about my skill level). With the exception of the Dynaco PAS (for which I have bought power supply replacement board kits), I have always avoided buying / working on equipment...
  22. P

VOM 1404 - Those Darn P.E.C's

Helllo Everyone, I appreciate everyones help! So, I took FLACharlies advice.. I am embarrassed to say, I must have been jumping to conclusions. The issue is with the Loudness / Volume pot. Its definitely not tracking properly. I flooded both gangs again with deoxit, and there is no change...
  23. P

Hi Again everyone, FlaCharlie, YES! That is the exact post I was speaking of! There was a follow up to that one, where Larry posted a handwritten drawing, and the drawing includes the values of the components. I compared those to the P.E.C component list for the 1404, and there are...
  24. P

Hi Again, 6L6GMike - I miss-read your initial post! The P.E.C manufacturer might have an internal schematic of the P.E.C itself. If you could, let me know where to find the on-line catalog, or name of the manufacturer. I have to retrieve the paperwork for the part numbers. Thanks again!
  25. P

Hi Everyone! Thank you for all of the responses! It's really appreciated! Just to clarify, I am speaking of the P.E.C's on the tone controls. I completely agree Gadget73, they all would be replaced. The bad news: I would consider myself a kit guy. I've successfully built a couple of power...
Back
Top Bottom