Search results

1. K

Reel to reel tape head demagnetizers???

Wow ... great , so I will not use it then. Was just struggling with a ferrograph demag that is just to fat to fit into my nakamichi lx5 tape deck door opening and the wand is too short... bugger... I was thinking of opening the machine to get this thing to the heads ... perhaps not ...
  2. K

Nakamichi LX-5 vs. CR-3

Ok not finding anything ... anyone have some simple steps to follow on how to double check my tapes settings ? I have no special setup cassettes or anything , just need to understand the basics of what does what and then can Do maybe by ear ?
  3. K

Nakamichi LX-5 vs. CR-3

Tx also Bird ... will go see if I can find how to optimally setup my LX5... still have a 482 as well and need to get a belt set and service on it... nice thing is my bugeye Subaru still have a good STD tape deck in so I can take my LP's to the road as well
  4. K

8" open baffel?

I just had too many occasions where a component change just make an unbelievable difference... And I always wonder how many things I abandoned / sold before trying all different options. And what is weird is that sometimes a change to a so called "lesser component" is just what is needed ...
  5. K

8" open baffel?

Ps .. I have had nice results with the Philips AD( 12100 , 9710 m01, etc ...) range if you want to try a driver that won't break the bank ... the link I send you above from jelabs have a paragraph on some driver recommendations ... also look up basszilla from black dahlia .. Dick olsher and...
  6. K

8" open baffel?

My opinion is that If you do use a fullrange single driver you must have a high qts... Amp Matching is also critical .. I found vintage drivers do much better and then you have those vintage circuits with more suitable dampening and I generally prefer valves with no negative feedback designs...
  7. K

8" open baffel?

Cool
  8. K

8" open baffel?

Let us know ... Just an interesting piece of info I omitted ... a good friend pointed out that cardboard might actually do a lot more bass then say a plywood or something less resonant ... but once in say a piece of plywood you might have less bass but more controlled overall performance...
  9. K

8" open baffel?

Ferninando This one is my personal favourite ... a bit wide and need lotso space front distance(2.5 - 3 meters) and from back wall(>= 1.5m depending on pref ) when placing... http://jelabsarch.blogspot.co.za/2012/06/open-baffle.html?m=1
  10. K

8" open baffel?

I've been wondering ... an OB with piano hinges etc should be relatively easy to do using aluminum sheets ... say 3mm brushed alu sheets .... What do you think ?
  11. K

8" open baffel?

Tx for link I have a pair of "sleepers" here .. the Goodmans axiette 8 full range .., I did a simple cardboard jelabs style OB and the results was astonishing ... much better then any of the other plenty OB things I tried in the past .. ( I.e. Axiom 201, Philips ad12100, 9710m 01 etc... )...
  12. K

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

We gave away my dads rogers and pioneer valve amps with Gerard 301 to make space for the latest Philips music centre (with CD player ) ... at the time we must have thought what an upgrade .....
  13. K

Bob I know what you mean... I suppose we have all sold Grt stuff with remorse at some point ..
  14. K

Yes sire indeed an LX 5.... I have another as well 580 m but it needs a good service and locally is a bit difficult here in SA....
  15. K

Center Channel

Been playing around with my AU111 highcut centre channel... think I stumbled on some luck here ... Funny I always ignored it thinking it would sound like your typical surround sound stuff ... anyway I connected the 50 year old Williamson El34 mono amp to this highcut. Then I connected my two...
  16. K

Yamaha NS-370 (Huge Speakers!) - What can you tell me about them?

Ghostie !!! Wow ... KJ here from AVF Sa .... still come here ...? Whatever happened to these monsters ? I got a set of ns330 ear and love them with the set 2a3 now I was thinking to stack 2 pairs ... you know if anyone on JHB area with a set ?
  17. K

Dynavector Karat 23R

If you have not thought of phono stage yet ... I had achieved excellent synergy using a DV SUT into MM of the Leben RS28cx pre... got rid of my MC phono stage...
  18. K

Got a new Fujifilm X-Pro1

Excellent ... my daughter got the XT1 ... magical .... and love the retro look and size.
  19. K

Which Dynavector Karat to Retip

I have the karat 17d3, karat ruby (23r) , XX2(sold) , XX2(mk2)... All perform tops on the Alphason hr100s arm as well as the 12" Jelco 750lba( feickert tt supplied)... Can happily live with anyone If that helps....
  20. K

Lol ,, here in our area we have to lock up bud , unfortunate but reality.
  21. K

Tx OTB They were actually released in the late 60's early 70's according to the Yamaha history http://ae.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/hifi-history/speaker/ An update and perhaps I can now understand why people did not really take this up... it is actually so ahead of...
  22. K

Plastic Yamaha JA5002

Hi all ... Stumbled across this.. tx for all the info. Picked up a pair of NS330 this weekend and hooked them up to my DIY 2a3 set amp... I prefer them really far from the back wall at about 2m and very close to each other toed in quite a bit... I have to ask why these are not so highly...
  23. K

New Vinyl rig!

The DL's are great ... now try the 102 on great mono's (and stereo )...
  24. K

Fisher a rich man's toy now?

My humble opinion and experience is if you really get a good tech to work on a vintage piece it will outlast most modern gear for the same value. I find that the workmanship in the days gone was not driven by bean counters but more by the skilled people who was in general far prouder of their...
  25. K

Here is a closer pic of one of mine & a web download of the inside of the ns330... I will open and clean mine up and send some photos
Back
Top Bottom