Search results

1. S

"New DLK 1-1/2"--diff from original?

How about a close-up of the tweeter? It looks like the tweeters were replaced? A higher res (in-focus) photo of the spec sheet would also be helpful. Are there any dates on the speakers? I'm curious what the "new" in the speaker description means (i.e. early/first generation or...
  2. S

A/D/S line pecking order?

Check the "bi-amp switch" if your speakers have one. It may have been inadvertently switched to the bi-amp position and if you connected the speaker wires to the mid/tweet terminals you won't have any low frequencies.
  3. S

Question wrapped in a query, stuffed inside a riddle.

My first pair or "real" speakers were DLK 1 1/2's that I purchased in the late 70's. I'm also an ADS fanatic and own speakers from the bottom to the top of their product line. From a bass perspective, you will need to go pretty high up the ADS food chain to match the DLKs. I concur with the...
  4. S

Confused about Pairing Speakers with the Right Amp/Stereo Wattage

OK, since you asked, I'll provide a very specific example. A few years ago, my son & I put together a system for his dorm room/desktop. It consisted of pair of ADS L400 and a NAD 3020D. The speakers are rated for about 50W and the amp is 30W/channel @ 8ohm (continuous). Ratings into 4ohms are...
  5. S

Can you elaborate?. The 1002 would have more than enough headroom for bookshelf speakers to handle the dynamic range. What would you expect to get from the 2502 versus the 1002? I chose the Crown amps for my example since they are a family of amps with very similar specs and features except...
  6. S

Of course nobody is actually configure one of these extremes. How about a more realistic example... Suppose you have a pair of bookshelf speakers that sing nicely at 30w. Would you buy a Crown XLS 1002 at 350w/$300 or a Crown XLS 2502 at 775w/$600. In this case either amp is overkill, but the...
  7. S

Can you provide an explanation for your statement? How are you coming up with the "4 to 7 times the rated power" number (relative to clipping)? All amplifiers (of a similar design), whether underpowered or overpowered relative to the speakers, have the same tendencies to deliver power relative...
  8. S

I was going to mention the pairing of some Mark Levison monoblocks with Minimus 7's as an example of too much amp (I'd wager that someone has tried this combo). As an example of too much speaker, I saw a video from PS Audio where they drove a pair of Infinity IRS V with a Sprout. mhardy's...
  9. S

I think this was well answered from speaker performance and damage/reliability perspective. I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention matching from a cost perspective. This is almost too obvious to mention. Buying too much amp for a given pair of speakers is wasting money (unless you...
  10. S

WaynerN: The clipped signal still changes polarity. By definition, this is an AC signal, not DC. FYI, even a pure square wave, by definition, is AC. If one was to keep increasing the amp gain past clipping, the signal would approach a being square wave. I believe the amount of power in a square...
  11. S

Are you implying that the amp sticks at one of the rails when clipping versus making the "sine wave" look more like a "square wave"?
  12. S

Marsland Circumsound speakers - why tweeters in only one cabinet?

Aside from the how the tweeters are mounted without using 3 of the 4 mounting holes, I'm really curious about how they sound. Per the brochure, did Marsland successfully eliminate the "inherent squirting characteristic?" Followup question: What the heck is an "inherent squirting...
  13. S

Marsland Circumsound speakers - why tweeters in only one cabinet?

Cool speakers! This is the funky kind of product that is fun to read about. Are there any witness marks on the unused terminals for the speaker without the tweeters? Perhaps the speaker without tweeters originally had them and they were removed sometime in the past. If so, there might be...
  14. S

ADS L1290/2 206-0117 Tweeter Issue

I believe the 206-0116 are 1" domes and the 208-0117 are 3/4" domes. The 206-0117 has a stronger magnet. I can't recall if they are the same impedance or not, but the back plates and mounting holes are the same. A better substitute for the 206-0117 would be the 206-0107. I think the biggest...
  15. S

What is it with ADS speakers that some folks are so high on?

I use spikes screwed in to the bottom of my L1290s and L1590s. I have the optional bases for the L1590s, but prefer the spikes. The spikes are more stable since they allow a direct connection of the cabinet to the subfloor. This should also improve the base clarity. The spikes also eliminate...
  16. S

What is it with ADS speakers that some folks are so high on?

The 1530/1590 dilemma is a problem for the single guys. If you factor in WAF, the edge goes to the 1590s (at least in my house ;)).
  17. S

A Thank You Note to Bose Bashers

I stumbled across this video which I think gives some insight into the Bose philosophy. The 901 was designed to optimize a specific set of parameters. Owners that wanted to reproduce the experience of classical music in an orchestra hall, and had the right room at home, probably loved them...
  18. S

Repair/clean old ADS L880s?

I'm glad that your method worked for you. Was the coating on your drivers still really sticky? I have older ADS drivers where the coating is no longer sticky. I don't know if the coating started that way, but it certainly is now. Maybe it "dried up" over the decades? On these drivers, you can...
  19. S

Repair/clean old ADS L880s?

Yep, unless your sticky coating is still sticky. Then the coating will bond like crazy to the tape. Yes, the dust will come off, so will the coating. Following your advice may very well destroy the drivers. The only method that I've had luck with is picking the loose pieces of dust with...
  20. S

Glass on top of Speakers

Pros: It will eliminate the moisture rings if your speakers are used as plant stands Cons: It will encourage the use of your speakers as plant stands :)
  21. S

What can I do with these blown Braun tweeters?

In your first picture, there is a white mark on the face plate. Is the thin wire lead intact where the white mark crosses it? Can you remove the magnet from one of them and take a closeup of the voice coil? Depending on where the voice coil is broken, you may be able to do the "unwrap a few...
  22. S

What can I do with these blown Braun tweeters?

Sometimes, I think that there is a bot running on this site the keys in on the words ADS/Braun and tweeter and automatically relies "send them to Richard" ;) Many times it is the right answer, but not always...
  23. S

Rectilinear III "Highboy" find - The Snowmen

You might want to do a test to ensure that the Citristrip doesn't dissolve the nylon brush. A fine brass brush, with the grain, with the stripper might be a better option.
  24. S

Rectilinear III "Highboy" find - The Snowmen

tyelle: Regarding the paint in the pores... A wood finishing technique is to (intentionally) fill the wood pores with a contrasting color filler. This is usually done on woods with large open pores like oak and ash. This might work for you if you can't remove all of the old paint from the...
  25. S

Question about ADS L7e Grilles

I have a pair of ADS L400e that use the same tweeter as the L7e. I had a similar experience when A/Bing the L400e (206-0122 polydome tweeter) with an older L400 (206-0100 cloth dome tweeter). The L400e has a more laid back, mellow sound. The L400 is noticeably brighter. I believe that this...
Back
Top Bottom