Search results

1. Mike Ray

SX-1250 distortion

Yes I have 3 sets of speakers attached and they're all the same
  2. Mike Ray

SX-1250 distortion

hi guys I've noticed that I have slight, but noticeable distortion out of the right Chanel. I've tried all inputs but still the same and on headphones seems ok. Any ideas??.......I'm in the UK so if it needs to go for surgery can anyone recommend a surgeon. Thanks in advance.
  3. Mike Ray

Sx-600L right Chanel dead

I am trying to break into the world of vintage electronics and so my wife has bought me a faulty sx-600L to practice my very limited skills (basically deoxit and checking continuity etc).....to prevent me from tampering with my perfectly working and immaculate SX-1250 and doing a huge amount of...
  4. Mike Ray

SX-1050, SX-1250 speaker switch differences

A small problem that I've found is that spks 1 have now lost most of the left channel. Spks 2&3 are fine and I've checked the resistance of the attached spks and the are both the same at around 6 ohms. ( Roksan candy K2). I can only think this must be the spkr switch itself unless anyone has any...
  5. Mike Ray

No not really....we seem to have solved the mystery. I would like your thoughts on the differences between the models if you ever get round to studying the schematics!
  6. Mike Ray

I would be grateful thanks mark.
  7. Mike Ray

I've found the answer! I've looked through the paperwork that came with it (original receipt, sales brochure etc), and it would appear that mine is a 'HG' version for the Sweden, Denmark and Netherlands market although mine was bought from a branch of Comet in London on 7th Sep 1978. Quite why...
  8. Mike Ray

The 1st pic is a screen shot of the eBay item and the second is of the rear of my 1250.
  9. Mike Ray

Another difference I've only just noticed last evening while browsing eBay was that my 1250 has a 3 cord power lead with a kettle type socket built into the back panel and no AC outlet sockets like my 1050 had, and like the 1250 back panel on eBay has?
  10. Mike Ray

It's definitely a factory job mark so I can only assume mine is a later or earlier model which had the different switch cluster. Either way it's bugging me so I'll look for a replacement switch instead of trying to mod mine in case I get springs flying out Interesting tho!
  11. Mike Ray

So could I on my 1050 but this is different....and a little confusing.
  12. Mike Ray

I've had the 1250 apart this afternoon and re capped the soft start board which also gave me an opportunity to take the facia off and have a look at the speaker switch. There's a bar that runs between the 3 switches with a spring which is why the other switches pop out if another switch is...
  13. Mike Ray

markthefixer has it right. I currently have a 1050 to compare with and on that all 3 switches act independently and if all 3 are selected all output is cut. On this 1250 however, the speaker switches act like the input switches, which is odd as 2 sets of speakers should be able to be selected...
  14. Mike Ray

Hi all. Having had the 1050 and now the 1250, the ONLY thing I don't like on the 1250 is the speaker switch. On the 1050 I could select speakers 1,2 or 3 without effecting the position of the other switch positions. On the 1250 if I have say speakers 1 selected and then select speakers 2 or 3...
  15. Mike Ray

Time to upgrade to SX-1250?

I Thought i would write a few thoughts after having the 1250 back home and running now for 1 week. I do think it is deffintely a step or two up from the 1050. the tuner is more sensitive by a fair bit, the sound seems a little brighter and sat on top of my vintage sideboard it looks mighty...
  16. Mike Ray

SX-1250 hot heat sink on one side

Re: service manuals. My view is this. I'm a little OCD and would like nothing better to have the original box, sales brochure, user manual, service manual etc and if, like I did for my SX-1050 found a genuine sm one on eBay or such like....happy days, if not, and I've got a broken amp then I'll...
  17. Mike Ray

Thanks for all the advise! I've not read that post but can assume its disastrous if a pot goes oc while adjusting it. I class myself as an enthusiastic amateur but learning fast. I have a friend who, in days gone buy was the engineer in a hifi shop here in Portsmouth (UK)......and I was the...
  18. Mike Ray

SX-1250 relay clicks?

I recon I've cracked it. Checked the bias and off set..... offset ok +\- around 3mvdc but when I checked bias ..... Left Chanel 160vdc Right Chanel 35vdc Adjusted the pots and got them to within 1 volt of 100vdc. Both heat sinks now seem to be even. I'll go over the whole power supply...
  19. Mike Ray

I recon I've cracked it. Checked the bias and off set..... offset ok +\- around 3mvdc but when I checked bias ..... Left Chanel 160vdc Right Chanel 35vdc Adjusted the pots and got them to within 1 volt of 100vdc. Both heat sinks now seem to be even. I'll go over the whole power supply...
  20. Mike Ray

SX-1250 relay clicks?

That's great thanks. It is the left side (opposite) side to the stabiliser that's significantly warmer than the right but will see how things are after I've done the bias and offset.
  21. Mike Ray

SX-1250 relay clicks?

Having just bought and set up, and dispite the amp sounding wonderful and working perfectly I've noticed 2 things. The left hand heat sink gets hotter than the right so I intend to check bias and offset today once I get the correct resistors as service manual states. The other thing I've...
  22. Mike Ray

That's what I was thinking. I'll look on eBay for a service manual. Do I need to be worried about the negative 3mvdc on the right Chanel?
  23. Mike Ray

Hi everyone. I've just bought a SX-1250, got it home and I soon noticed that the left side heat sink get a fair bit warmer than the right side. It seems to work very well indeed and can't find any noisey pots or switches apart from that. I did a quick check on the DC offset just through the...
  24. Mike Ray

Ok......so I bought it I'll let you all know what I think in a while after I've given it a damn good rest drive!! Thanks for all the advice
  25. Mike Ray

Thanks for all the help....although I'm not entirely sure it's persuaded me one way or the other. Tuner wise I find my 1050 does wonder off sometimes and so I sometimes just use internet radio through an iPad thing is sat in an Arcam dock running through a Cambridge Audio 851 CD/DAC and the into...
Back
Top Bottom